How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
I feel like I've died and gone to Dell Hell!

My "desk" at work is actually a 6'x6' corner work bench. Sitting on my "desk" right now, I have my new PC, nicknamed "This Sucks", an Optiplex with a 19" LCD hooked to a KVM. I also have 3 new Optiplexes that won't connect to the KVM, so they're all set up individually with 15" LCD's, all loading Windows. On top of that, I have an older Dimension 2350 hooked to the KVM, also loading Windows, and an Precision 360 and Inspiron 8200 lappy waiting in line for the same treatment, sitting on the far corner. In the one space left on my desk, I have a half a bottle of Pepsi, a stick of PC2100, and about a 9" pile of Dell OEM software.

So, basically what I'm getting at, is that I'm really freakin' bored, and am slowly returning to insanity from staring at nothing but black and grey PC's everywhere, among other things. Have a nice day.

Oh yeah, IBDude!

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 01-26-2005, 07:52 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
So what is with the 7 pc's at your desk? You actually use them all or are you running a complete server room from your desk? Lucky bastage!

If I were you I'd use the three 15" LCD monitors on one PC with a multihead video and have them side by side for a panoramic display. Have that one running Linux all pimped out and keep the 19" hooked to an XP box.

You might be in Dell hell, but you have a lot more on your desk than the crappy Inspiron 4100 sitting on mine.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
2 Optiplex's on my desk...one black GX260 and one beige GX110 running a FedEx server.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Three HP D220 workstations connected to a Belkin KVM, an IBM E74 tube monitor, IBM Thinkpad A30, and an IBM Thinkpad G40

oh, and two gutted APC carcases. One Smart UPS 1000 and the other a Smart UPS 1400.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 01-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Re: I feel like I've died and gone to Dell Hell!

Quote:
Originally posted by Darksied-X
I also have 3 new Optiplexes that won't connect to the KVM, so they're all set up individually with 15" LCD's, all loading Windows.
What kind of KVM are you using that won't support the Optiplexes??

I just put the 8 port Belkin at home:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=160661

Works with my PCs, Mac, and laptops.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 01-27-2005, 01:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
We use mostly Dell Precision machines here. I just got a new Precision 370 with 2GB of RAM, 320GB of hard drive and some ridiculous video card. I don't even know any more what's under the hood. As long as it helps me make art, that's cool with me.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-31-2005, 04:42 AM
Recluse

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
So what is with the 7 pc's at your desk? You actually use them all or are you running a complete server room from your desk? Lucky bastage!
Nope, no servers for me. The reason I have all of these is because I'm the guy responsible for rolling out the new PC's at our Corp. campus. And for the first time in almost 3 years, we actually have a new PC budget this year. So, I'm loading all of these up with XP Pro and all the rest of our software, and getting them ready for the client.

Quote:
If I were you I'd use the three 15" LCD monitors on one PC with a multihead video and have them side by side for a panoramic display. Have that one running Linux all pimped out and keep the 19" hooked to an XP box.
I really don't have much to do with the servers, so I don't have much use for Linux. I'm not really much of a Linux guy anyway. I tried getting a copy of TurboLinux Server going on a spare box in my free time, but I couldn't get it to install, and just haven't had the chance to try it again. Maybe I'll try it again with MS Virtual PC on my machine, like I'm doing with Win2K, just for the fun of it.

The first time I read your message, I thought you'd said I needed to also hook an X-Box to my 19". I don't need to worry about that either, since I've got Grand Theft Auto 1, 2 (both free, I might add), 3, & Vice City all running on my machine.

Quote:
You might be in Dell hell, but you have a lot more on your desk than the crappy Inspiron 4100 sitting on mine.
A lot more is right, and not all is better. Right next to my desk is "The Graveyard", a bookshelf with 20 dead or dying PI & PII Thinkpads and Satellites.

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
Old 01-31-2005, 04:53 AM
Recluse

Re: Re: I feel like I've died and gone to Dell Hell!

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

What kind of KVM are you using that won't support the Optiplexes??
It's not the KVM (a Black Box ServSwitch Personal), it's the Optis. Starting with the GX280, Dell has abandoned PS/2 in favor of USB. They do have an option for a "Serial PS/2 Adapter", but I didn't get it because I figured it was just a splitter that plugged into the serial port, and I really didn't want to tie up the serial, and have even more crap hanging off the back. But, for my new one, I didn't have much choice if I wanted to use it with the KVM, so I picked it up. Come to find out, it's actually a rather nice expansion card with 2 PS/2 ports, and another serial port. And it's now going to be standard on all of our new machines.

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
Old 01-31-2005, 05:16 AM
Recluse

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
We use mostly Dell Precision machines here. I just got a new Precision 370 with 2GB of RAM, 320GB of hard drive and some ridiculous video card. I don't even know any more what's under the hood. As long as it helps me make art, that's cool with me.
Yeah, the Precisions are nice rigs, but we don't have much use for them in a construction company. As far as I know, we only have 2 in the company. This one I've got here used to be our server tech's, and I'm just saving it for the new help desk tech, when we get one. Although it's a Precision, it's not as good as my new Opti, which is why I didn't take it. The other one we have is a dual Xeon, 2GB of RAM, ridculous vid card, dual 21", etc... That one's our head AutoCAD tech's.

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
Old 01-31-2005, 06:33 AM
Network Design Administrator

Lets see... I have not one, but two desks...

I work in a 3 person IT shop that supports approx 100 business office users, and the production floor.

I was hired to do the job of the other two people here, but I was supposed to have the help of an intern. He got fired, and now its just me! The other two have to concentrate on getting all of the stuff for the plant move.

Back to my two desks... on my desk I have two Latitude C840s, two Latitude C400s, a 21" CRT, a 17" LCD, and an external DVD Burner.

On my other desk (READ: The ex-intern's) I have two L400s, a GX260, two GX150s, two GX110s, a 19" LCD, 17" LCD, and a switch in order to make all of this work... Under that desk I have a Poweredge 2300...

Add to all of that, I am the new PC setter-upper, Data Center monitor, purchaser, help-desk dude, cell phone dude, voicemail dude, desk phone system dude, SAP dude, network (switches) dude... and oh yeah... the security system dude including but not limited to badges and cameras.

About the ONLY thing I am not responsible is when a printer is hard broke... we have a contract for that.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: