Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-08-2005, 01:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
I use both and my Dell Laptops 15" Ultrasharp screen compares to nothing else. Its very sharp at 1600x1200. Its also easy to read text at 1600x1200 on this 15" screen. I run as many of my games at that res as possible because non-native does suck.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
It really depends on what you need your display to do as to which is better. If you play alot of graphics intense games, then you definetly want a CRT, because an LCD, as a matter of physics, cannot reproduce motion like a CRT will. That will never change...it's just the nature of using a liquid instead of a gas. Another unavoidable weakness of LCDs is viewing angle...the best LCD in the world cannot match the useable viewing angle range of any CRT. Outside of those traits, the new generation panels are pretty close to CRTs.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

I've used several SGI workstations at school and at my brother's lab. I know exactly what you mean about their quality.
SGI does not make their own monitors, the last I checked. For awhile they were rebranding Sony monitors, but I haven't used any kind of SGI station in some time, so I don't know what they're using now.

As for CRTs, I have two Sonys on my desk at work and they're fantastic. I think they're starting to get a little blurry, though - might be time for some new ones. I just got a new machine at work...I wonder if I could get that expense past my art director.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-08-2005, 01:49 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally posted by justiceSVX
...as far as 'easy on the eyes' goes, it's fantastic.
Yeah, I've noticed that they're starting to figure out how to soften the LCDs, sometimes at a significant compromise to resolution, but less and less so recently. CRTs inherently tend to be soft, but they're not often reeeally soft. I guess that's one area where LCDs seem to excel. I suppose they could soften the CRTs just as easily, but it's never really been a major objective.

The best reason to go to LCDs? Multiple monitors. Getting rid of interference scan lines is a good reason. Even with identical video cards, CRTs, and refresh rate settings, the scan lines never synchronize.

...of course, it's probably important to keep in mind that for the most part we're splitting hairs. Most people aren't this fussy. In a few years this will all be moot anyway. Sooner or later something is going to make everything we have today completely obsolete. I can't wait!
Old 01-08-2005, 02:19 PM
justiceSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
Yeah, I've noticed that they're starting to figure out how to soften the LCDs,
That's not what I meant. I was meaning the contrast and crispness and just... alright, if you look at a CRT, you can kinda see it flickering. The better the moniter, the less you can notice...but with an LCD... a good one... there's just no comparison. I use my puter for mainly video editing and multimedia stuff, not gaming... but I have played through Halo with it, Call of Duty and a few others. Works fine. I think the whole "LCDs aren't good for games" thing is becoming somewhat of an old's wives tale, because honestly the games look BETTER on this LCD (dvi connection) than my friends CRTs (even nice sony trintron expensive CRTs).
Old 01-08-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
SGI does not make their own monitors, the last I checked. For awhile they were rebranding Sony monitors, but I haven't used any kind of SGI station in some time, so I don't know what they're using now.
They have always used high end Sony screens as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally posted by JusticeSVX
I think the whole "LCDs aren't good for games" thing is becoming somewhat of an old's wives tale, because honestly the games look BETTER on this LCD (dvi connection) than my friends CRTs (even nice sony trintron expensive CRTs).
It's not image quality, it's motion that's an issue. LCDs cannot reproduce motion like a CRT. It's a matter of physics.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:06 PM
justiceSVX

Quote:
It's not image quality, it's motion that's an issue. LCDs cannot reproduce motion like a CRT. It's a matter of physics.
You can tell me that, but again, I've played through Halo and Call of duty on this thing.. .and it's been great. I'm never ever ever going back to one of those power hungry PITA to move anywhere heavy desktop reducing CRTs. Ever.

I think you really need to try a high quality DVI lcd sometime, motion might have been an issue in the past, but every technology has growing pains.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JusticeSVX
I think you really need to try a high quality DVI lcd sometime, motion might have been an issue in the past, but every technology has growing pains.
No no no...that's not what I mean. All LCDs, regardless of interface or accuracy level...will suffer from "shadows" during high speed image motion. Like I was saying, it's a matter of physics. It cannot be overcome with any amount of improvement. LCDs work by sending concentrated and controlled energy bursts into a plane of liquified quartz. The way in which the quartz reacts to the energy is what creates the colors we see. CRTs do things kinda like that, only using a gas. It's a matter of physics that electrons can travel faster through gas (less dense), than they can through liquid (much more dense). Therefore no LCD will ever be able to reproduce motion as good as a CRT.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:16 AM
justiceSVX

Quote:
Therefore no LCD will ever be able to reproduce motion as good as a CRT.
Sure, but again, it works well enough. I like using this LCD a lot better htan my previous CRT, even for gaming. If you want to be picky about it, okay. But for everyday use, it's fine. If all you care about is motion, okay, but I think you're exaggerating a bit.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:22 PM

I am very picky. This is true.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:58 PM
SVX Appeal

From what I've seen, there are only a few manufacturers of pretty much any of the displays, CRTs and LCDs. Sony is a big one when it comes to CRTs. I don't know who makes most of the LCDs. These manufacturers pick and choose componentry, swapping parts whichever way they see fit. I've seen some reeeeally horrible Sony Trinitron displays (I own one) and I've seen some good ones. I think the electronics on most of those are Sony, but many of the tubes are not, especially the bigger ones. I suspect SGI uses Sony's high-end components only. Small displays usually look mediocre, (those 8 or 10 inch CRT kiosk displays always look awful,) but the large ones look good. Maybe the big Sonys are rebadged some-or-others. I'm sure this holds true to just about every other manufacturer.

The LCD in my car is a Lilliput. The Xenarc ones are made by one manufacturer. The Lilliput ones are manufactured all over the world by many different manufacturers. That's why the Xenarcs cost more - quality control. With the cheaper Lilliput, you never know which factory the guts came out of. (Some of them come from the Xenarc factory. )

JusticeSVX, I was referring to "softening" primarily in the sense that the image looks smooth in a pixel blending sort of way, but also in the broad sense in that they don't bother your eyes. I see what you meant though. I guess they're becoming easy on the eyes all the way around.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:17 AM
ThetaReactor

I'm still hunting for a reasonably affordable 17" LCD that'll do 1600x1200. 1280x1024 isn't enough space, and it's not even a proper 4:3 ratio. Laptop displays do it without any problems [I've seen 15" notebooks do UXGA], but no one seems to make a standalone monitor with those screens.

As it is, my CRTs will have to suffice. Well, at least until I get the HD projector thing set up, right?
Old 01-10-2005, 10:33 AM

1280x1024 is too much space for me. I don't know what to do with it all.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:07 AM

I have dual 18" LCDs. This gives my as much space as I need without having to squint at 1600x1280. I've been really happy w/ my Viewsonic vp181s. Dual inputs (use dvi of course), usb, adjustable, no dead pixels. They have been perfect for cad.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: