How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Good and bad this weekend

Good-wife out of town, went to closing race at the local road course and got to work on a real Formula Atlantic car , a beautiful fall Sunday spent fly fishing for trout with friends (got 4)

Bad -wife out of town , didn't get to work on the SVX, and spent most of the rest of the weekend doing the G35 brakes

I noticed on Thursday that the G, at 37K miles, needed new rear brakes (rumble, slight squeak). Picked up the pads, got the rotors cut and bolted it back together with no issues Saturday after the race. Take the customary test drive and notice a *slight* scraping noise. Damn. Take it back apart to check things but find nothing wrong. Button it back up, fire her up and head out. DAMN. Noise is now worse! I've done enough brake jobs in my life to now I didn't miss this noise maker twice, so I decide to check the front brakes, you know, just in case. DAMN, fronts gone too!!! Saturday night, no pads, 8:30 pm. Tear it down and race to the local shop which closes at 9:00pm to find the place had just closed. Get back home from fishing today (got up at 3:45am, ugh) and head to the shop 15 minutes before closing to find that the rotors have no casting thickness minimum and the guy behind the counter states that since the car has VDC, he can't even order rotors for me. Infiniti yanked the franchise from my local dealer, so I now have an hour drive for parts tomorrow. BTW, this is the second set of front pads, and I know the rotors are beyond discard thickness. 37K, WTH???

Clif notes - Infiniti (Nissan) brake parts suck and I'm upset with the car, but the weekend was still pretty damn OK!

Todd
Old 10-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Holy crap Todd, 37k and 2nd set of brake pads is pretty rediculous.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Superbeast

Should have got a Legacy.

Or tell your wife to use "one" pedal at a time.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 10-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
I noticed on Thursday that the G, at 37K miles, needed new rear brakes (rumble, slight squeak). Picked up the pads, got the rotors cut and bolted it back together with no issues Saturday after the race. Take the customary test drive and notice a *slight* scraping noise. Damn. Take it back apart to check things but find nothing wrong. Button it back up, fire her up and head out. DAMN. Noise is now worse! I've done enough brake jobs in my life to now I didn't miss this noise maker twice, so I decide to check the front brakes, you know, just in case. DAMN, fronts gone too!!! Saturday night, no pads, 8:30 pm. Tear it down and race to the local shop which closes at 9:00pm to find the place had just closed. Get back home from fishing today (got up at 3:45am, ugh) and head to the shop 15 minutes before closing to find that the rotors have no casting thickness minimum and the guy behind the counter states that since the car has VDC, he can't even order rotors for me. Infiniti yanked the franchise from my local dealer, so I now have an hour drive for parts tomorrow. BTW, this is the second set of front pads, and I know the rotors are beyond discard thickness. 37K, WTH???
Had to laugh because my dad and I went through just about the same thing with my mom's I30. The brakes are noisy and even with brand new rotors and pads (worn in or new) there is still some shudder. Hopefully you will have better luck than my mom is currently though. Her car is just under 85k miles and in the last three weeks she has dumped $2500 into it, and it's going back into the shop tomorrow.

List of stuff fixed:
ABS controller
PCV evap canister and lines replaced
Crank position sensor
oxygen sensor
fuel pump, filter, and lines
knock sensor
egr valve
9 computer diagnostics at $59.99 a piece

And it goes back to Bennett Infiniti tomorrow because it's making yet another horrible noise. Sounds like another problem in the fuel system, near the injectors/fuel rails.

My mom test drove a brand new Grand Prix GTP this weekend and loved it, so depending on the price of this next repair, the only import left at my parents house may be on it's way out.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Superbeast

They still make a Prix GTP? What are those thing running for motors now?

Old 10-10-2004, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by subafreak
Yessir...however the GTP will no longer be the top of the GP food chain for 2005. The GTP currently has the Series III 3800 with an Eaton blower pushing 260hp. The new king GP will be the GXP with the 5.3L V8 making (unofficially) 300hp.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:36 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

Had to laugh because my dad and I went through just about the same thing with my mom's I30. The brakes are noisy and even with brand new rotors and pads (worn in or new) there is still some shudder. Hopefully you will have better luck than my mom is currently though. Her car is just under 85k miles and in the last three weeks she has dumped $2500 into it, and it's going back into the shop tomorrow.

List of stuff fixed:
ABS controller
PCV evap canister and lines replaced
Crank position sensor
oxygen sensor
fuel pump, filter, and lines
knock sensor
egr valve
9 computer diagnostics at $59.99 a piece

And it goes back to Bennett Infiniti tomorrow because it's making yet another horrible noise. Sounds like another problem in the fuel system, near the injectors/fuel rails.

My mom test drove a brand new Grand Prix GTP this weekend and loved it, so depending on the price of this next repair, the only import left at my parents house may be on it's way out.
Holy Cow! Did all that stuff need replacing or did they just throw a bunch of parts at it until it ran well?? Instead of getting a new car, I'd find myself a new dealer.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:41 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Re: Good and bad this weekend

Quote:

Clif notes - Infiniti (Nissan) brake parts suck and I'm upset with the car, but the weekend was still pretty damn OK!

Todd [/B]
Todd,

Can't you get a set up aftermarket slotted rotors for the G for the same or less than what can be had for the SVX? Or would that void your warranty somehow? What year G35 do you have? I would love to have one of those in the latest incarnation. Refined 350Z performance....mmmmmm

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
I think this is the last year for it. I beleave it's getting replaced with th Pontiac G6. Or is the G6the replacement for the Grand Am??? I know it's replacing one of them.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg

I think this is the last year for it. I beleave it's getting replaced with th Pontiac G6. Or is the G6the replacement for the Grand Am??? I know it's replacing one of them.
G6 is for the Grand Am.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 10-11-2004, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Holy Cow! Did all that stuff need replacing or did they just throw a bunch of parts at it until it ran well?? Instead of getting a new car, I'd find myself a new dealer.

Johnny
Tried two different dealers and one independent mechanic. Normally my father and/or myself will just fix our cars, but niether of us are interested in messing with the infiniti. Nothing makes sense in the engine bay, everything is in the way of everything. Plus, I don't have the diagnostic software for a Nissan motor.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg
As stated, the G6 is the replacement for the Grand Am. There was talk for awhile of the GP becoming the "G8", but I haven't heard much more about it as of late.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
Should have got a Legacy.

Or tell your wife to use "one" pedal at a time.
Bought the 2003 G35 in July, 2002 Jesse. The only Legover available at that time was the old body style w/165hp. I didn't fit in it well and it had no guts.

Todd
Old 10-11-2004, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Re: Good and bad this weekend

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Todd,

Can't you get a set up aftermarket slotted rotors for the G for the same or less than what can be had for the SVX? Or would that void your warranty somehow? What year G35 do you have? I would love to have one of those in the latest incarnation. Refined 350Z performance....mmmmmm

Johnny
Looking in to it, John. Wife wants something quiet though.

Our's is a 2002 5AT sedan. Pictures in my locker.

I drove a 6 speed sedan last week. 287 hp RWD, very nice!

Todd
Old 10-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Superbeast

Quote:

Bought the 2003 G35 in July, 2002 Jesse. The only Legover available at that time was the old body style w/165hp. I didn't fit in it well and it had no guts.

Todd

I hear that

Old 10-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Superbeast

Re: Re: Re: Good and bad this weekend

Quote:

Looking in to it, John. Wife wants something quiet though.

Our's is a 2002 5AT sedan. Pictures in my locker.

I drove a 6 speed sedan last week. 287 hp RWD, very nice!

Todd

And you can get one with AWD right?

Hint to Subaru: Legacy with turbo 3.0 Turbo

Last edited by Subafreak; 10-12-2004 at 07:23 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: