Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-06-2004, 01:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
repacking wheel bearings..I did do a search...

OK, I need to have this thing put in...but it appears to be a sealed unit. The old one that was taken off came apart and I can see how it could be easy to clean. But this new wheel bearing is a one piece job, How do you go about cleaning the old grease out? Its this clearish stuff...I had them put in the other just like it a few months ago, and they said they repacked it...but they were baulky to do so in the first place, so I think they lied. This time its the other one that failed though. But I don't want to have this one installed without getting it right.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:37 PM

I replaced my rear bearings about 4 months ago, and the replacement bearings I received appeared to be one piece, but were not: there are actually two bearings; one in either side of the metal bearing cylinder. The two bearings are held in place in the metal cylinder by a cylindrical plastic retainer that is inserted through the hole in each bearing. Push that retainer out (you should be able to do it by hand), and the bearings can then be removed from each end of the metal cylinder.

Joe Fillip
'95 L AWD ("The Wayback Machine")
Swarthmore, PA
Old 09-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I believe the seals can be removed but this will damage the seals and you will need new ones to replace them. It's debatable as to whether the grease in these sealed units are up to par.

I had one installed as a sealed unit over a month ago and it's holding so far. The one Mike (Green1995SVX) had installed in my dad's SVX before he picked it up failed before he even left the state.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:20 AM
calmone

i understand that you MUST remove the "grease" which comes with the bearings, that grease is there only to prevent rust while in storage. one pushes out the white plastic tab, removes the bearing, cleans them and then replaces the grease and puts the bearing back together. failure to repack with correct grease will result in bearing failure in about 10k miles.