How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-21-2003, 07:40 AM
I'm just sayin'..........

Jack

I have a questions for you guys. Am I the only one that feels that the jack that came with these cars is a piece of crap? I'll explain why below.....I'd like to hear if anyone else has had any problems with theirs.

After work on Friday I decided that I would rotate my tires since I forgot to have it done with the last oil change. I've done this for years and have it down to about 45 minutes. I take out the jack (which was never and I do mean never used - the spare tire looked brand new as well) and read the directions on it. I've never seen a jack that looked like this one.
At any rate I read the directions and start to jack up my car. (By the way I was on level concrete). I get the first tire off without a hitch and put the spare on. I head to the front and do the whole process over again. I get the front tire off and am attempting to put the rear tire on and all of a sudden the jack bends and the car comes towards me. Talk about scared!! I almost pissed my pants!! Luckily because i had the tire partially on, the hub didn't hit the concrete. Instead it landed on the inside of the rim. Now with a bent jack I'm like wtf am I gonna do to fix this issue? I ended up finding a neighbor that had a floor jack and finished my roation without a hitch.

NOW....I bought a floor jack in order to do this the next time around but my question is, has anyone else had their factory jack bend on them like this? I had it lined up straight and did everything correctly and it still bent. At this point I think I'm going to get AAA and let them deal with the tire changes because I'm not using a factory jack to change a tire if I don't have to god forbid if I get a flat along the road.

I should still have a jack in the car though, so anyone have one for sale or free out of a parts car?

'95 Laguna Blue Pearl SVX L AWD
'18 Kia Stinger GT Twin Turbo - Sunset Yellow
Old 09-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Hater

i would only use that POS in an emergency on the side of the road. use a floor jack for anything else.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-21-2003, 08:15 AM
Green1995SVX

That's never happened to me, but ive read on here of it happening to a few others.

mike
Old 09-21-2003, 09:08 AM

Mine didn't bend, but it did slide, causing my car to fall to the ground, luckily the tire i took off i placed under the car so it didnt crash and cause damage....I bought a small hydraulic floor jack and i just keep that in my trunk now. works well, only have had to use it once though thank god. but yes, the stock jack is kinda riskay

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 09-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Phil & Belha

As other's have said. It's a PoS. IMHO the design is inherently unstable and downright dangerous.

We had the same type of jack on our 1985 Vauxhall Cavalier, that car was much lighter than the SVX and yet the jack couldn't support it.

Unless you position it completely right, on level ground, it will bend and then collapse. Once it's bent it will collapse almost every time.

If you have to use it in an emergency then make sure you chock the other wheels to prevent the car from moving whilst on the jack. Put a solid plank under it too - the foot of the jack is so small that the immense weight of the SVX tends to push it into the ground.

I use a trolley jack and axle stands whenever possible.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:16 AM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
My jack has worked like a charm, i dont know what you guys are talking about.

I've used to to rotate my tires countless times, and i also left the car up on it over night (with some stacked 2x4's under it just in case) and it was perfect in the morning.

Odd.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 09-22-2003, 09:30 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana
My jack has worked like a charm, i dont know what you guys are talking about.

I've used to to rotate my tires countless times, and i also left the car up on it over night (with some stacked 2x4's under it just in case) and it was perfect in the morning.

Odd.
You're just lucky.

Mike
Old 09-22-2003, 10:30 AM

Mine never broke or anything, I actually ended up selling it to a member here last year.

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 09-22-2003, 10:56 AM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

You're just lucky.

Mike
Is that why I crashed? Oh yeah, add one more problem to the "problems to be fixed" list: the driver's side rear window wont work now.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 09-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have used the sissor jack many times with no problems to rasie the SVX, put it on jack stands and to rotate tires as in jack both tires up one side at the same time. There have been times when the car almost fell but I caught it in time by watching how the SVX moved when I jacked it up. The point of contact to ground relative to the body is important. Depending on the point of contact the SVX can be pushed away from you or torwards you when the jack is going up.

I do not like using any jacks, floor or sissor, on any smooth dusty concrete or any other surface that will let the tires on the ground slide as the car is going up. The one thing I have learned is to do it slowly and watch the car.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
OH GOD. The jack F***** SUCKS MONKEY D***! (I've had my experiences)

I had a flat tire the first week I had my car and had a spare in the trunk. So I broke out the jack and TRIED reading the directions with little luck. I eventually thought I figured it out, cracked loose the lugnuts and secured the jack to the car. I then started to turn the handle when I started thinking, "wow, this is a really cool jack - look how FAST I can jack the car up. So I'm whalin the car up in the air and I hear a creaking sound and think, "oh ****...." Then, WABAM the jack just slides right under it and luckily just the suspension took the impact.

I then said, "wow, F*** this........." and tightened the nuts. I drove home on the flat ........luckily I wasn't a fan of the chrome wheels that came on the car.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash