How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-27-2003, 07:39 PM
nnjsvx

Paint Prep In Process - Some Pics

Thanks to Earl's help I was finally able to post pics to my locker. I still have to learn to get them smaller as it took almost 7 minutes each to load. I have more but only posted 3 for now. But first some history even though I posted some of these details many weeks back.

I got this 94 Bordeux Pearl in May with 113,000 miles on it in the PA Poconos. Body in great shape and interior wonderfully clean and no worn leather or suede anywhere and mechanicals appeared pretty good for mileage. I was expecting lots of work needed and got less than expected after we had work done on it. Mechanicals all completed. New front and rear Cryo slotted rotors and carbon pads, front calipers, right rear axle seal (not bearing), plugs, belts, coolant flush, trans service, gear oil change, filters, etc. everything that is usual on maintenance plus whatever went wrong on my previous 2 (95 polo green, 97 red) except bearings which sound and feel fine and trans seems okay but who knows when, and timing belt was changed by previous owner at 80,000 miles. He should have changed the water pump at the same time but didn't. I will change both which ever appears first to need it.

I am now having it repainted in original color. Shop I found looks to be doing a great job. Lights, door handles, rear view mirrors, all lower window trim, exhaust tips, all possible rubber trim between painted surfaces, lower body cladding, and body panel below rear windows (where logo goes) removed already. Hood and trunk lid to be removed and stripped. Spoiler and moon roof to be removed. All loose pieces painted off the car before reassembly. Car to be completely primed before repaint.

It was necessary to remove all interior side panels and rear seat to get at window trim, handles, etc. amd realign window closure.

My wife and I really like this original color so we did not do door interior edges or under hood and trunk and saved a few bucks too. I know its small compared to everything else but one needs to be practical.
Wheels reconditioned and re-powder coated to original color and I got new center hubs and they are a perfect match. New Yokohama AVS Db S2 16" tires.

This may seem like a lot at once but I knew what I wasgetting into when we looked for another one. Its been 2 months in mechanicals (lots of part waiting) and this is our fourth week at the body shop. All work has been a take your time instruction and make sure its right. Also helped get a little discount as shops could use it as fill in.

The rust you may notice on the door is from a steel stiffening bar
in the top of the lower door cladding. It is not from the sheet metal. If the body shop could get new ones from Liberty we will paint them before installing otherwise seal the ones in the cladding rather than risk removal and breakage.

All new front lights and grille, one left rear light, and wipers will go in. New JDM emblem on the way from Japan as we write.

Paint job comes with a 7 year warranty on fade, peel, and delamination. I hope to keep it at least that long.

I might get it back before this long weekend. I will know more tomorrow and will post finished pics without a long letter.

Of course it is supposed to thundershower thru the entire weekend. Wash your car it rains and I guess paint your car gets storms for 4 days.

We post this and the pics for both information and comments. Information for those newer members considering painting, repairs can be numerous, and they take time (and money of course) and comments from all on what I may have missed, to watch out for, what else I can provide or even to cool it a litlle if I am overbearing.

Going full circle to the start of this note, the pics are in my locker.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:44 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Wow. Very impressive and good luck! Want to get rid of your old lights? PM me.

- Rob
Old 08-27-2003, 10:50 PM

you take good care of her now! looks like you got a good prep...

you should come to one of the Warren Co meets...it is only about an hour drive from you...you go down 206...then hop on 611 then swing a right onto 517.....take that all the way to Hackettstown cross over main street and keep going straight...then you hit into port murray...hang a lt to route 57 then sprout a right...then to 31...and you hop a right...and then it is a matter of seconds

see now was that so hard? check out the NE SVX section...the meets are posted there...we just had one yesterday

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:42 PM
nnjsvx

Kelli, thanks for the positive comment.

I would like to meet up once the car is done. Alas, at least one more week in the shop when I stopped by to check today. Work looks thorough and great. Hood is off an stripped, spoiler off and sanded. They have to sand off acid rain on trunk deck. Hope to have it next weekend but we will see. I talked shop into an interior detail by another local shop when its all done.

I know exactly where Di Cola's is. Best for me to take 519S to 46E to 31S.

Where can I find the NE SVX section. I looked in Meets and gatherings and did not find it as well as no note for yesterday meet. Also checked Links but no luck there.

How many tend to show up? Weekdays are not good for me as I do not usually get home until 7:30-8:00 pm from NE Jersey just over an hr east of my home. Might be able to swing down from work but the I am sure the wife wants to come along. We bought it for her good weather driving.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:52 PM
nnjsvx

Kelli, I found NE Region. Just have to scroll more and look around. Thanks again
Old 09-02-2003, 07:37 AM
svxstl

if you don't mind me asking, about how much is this paint job costing you? i've been considering it myself but am not sure what it would do to my bank account!

Dan
Old 09-02-2003, 01:18 PM

Yes..Me too. I've been considering paint for a while now, curious to how much this is costing you for what looks like a fairly comple job.
Thanks
Old 09-02-2003, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nnjsvx
Kelli, I found NE Region. Just have to scroll more and look around. Thanks again
noooooo problem! see ya there sometime!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:04 PM
nnjsvx

Price is a little under $2,500. Remember this is a fill in job for the shop with only minor body work for dings and scratches and no parts included. It will have been in the shop for 5 weeks. It was supposed to take 2 weeks and I expected 3 weeks. Several of the shop guys took different vacations than planned and one was out ill for a week. I have no problem with the time as I do not want it rushed in any way.

Prior cars (not Svxs) I had quoted for complete jobs always were $2,000 plus without all the disassembly and reassembly and limited warranty.

Shop is in northwest NJ which has high labor rates. Mechanics charge out at $70-$75/hr.

If anyone is interested the shop is M.P. Autobody,188 Route 94, Hamburg, NJ 07419. Two doors down from Level 10. Mail address is PO Box 1046, McAfee, NJ 07426. Nothing for me in this. They have been very good to work with so far.