Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-24-2003, 09:19 PM
alacrity024

and as we're all aware now, it's entirely possible to make a caprice do wheelies, so it MUST be the engine from the C5R!!

-adam
Old 04-24-2003, 09:31 PM
alacrity024

ooooooooooo or what about the 'vette with the lotus-tuned motor?

hey..

i didn't want to make stuff up, so i just looked up the lotus-engined corvette on the internet... it was called the ZR-1.

for those of you who don't know, here's a brief history:

in 1991, a corvette cost about $30,000, putting it in a similar price class as our SVX's. If you had $60,000, you could buy two corvettes, OR you could spec the ZR-1 performance package on ONE corvette.

the heart of the ZR-1 package was its twin-cam, 32-valve 5.7 liter V8 (same block as the caprice's wheelie-inducing 5.7?) and produced about 375 horsepower. in 1990, a stock ZR-1 broke the 24-hour speed endurance record by maintaining an average speed of 174 miles per hour over the course of 24 hours.

okay here's another weird bit.. i rememebr hearing that a subaru forester set a 24-hour speed record back in '97.. i just looked into that (goddamn the internet is fantastic when you're drunk) and found that it did in fact do exactly that, but that its speed was significantly less than that of the ZR-1.. i just found out that the governing body which determines who breaks what record apparently placed the forester in a different class than the ZR-1.. oh well

(http://www.subaru-global.com/about/h.../1996-001.html)

okay i'm throughly trashed.. bye

-adam
Old 04-25-2003, 04:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The ZR-1 Corvette had the LT5 engine producing 405hp stock HP in it's final year.

My favorite Subaru record is the Standing mile record which is/was held by the Justy!
Old 04-26-2003, 12:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Hmmm... odd. I took a newer Z24 on the freeway, and annihilated him. I would be pretty saddened if I lost. However, when I raced an Impala SS from like 70-125... I stuck right next to him the whole way. Well, he slowly inched ahead... maybe a quarter panel on me from 90-125, but he also punched it before me. That race and his response for when I told him to guess what my car is when he asked, inspired my signature line.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 04-26-2003, 12:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Those ZR-1s are pretty awesome. No vette rivals until the Z06! They also didn't follow through with a drop top version since the torque twisted the frame enough with 'em that it would break the windshield!

Old 04-26-2003, 02:03 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Pure_Insanity8
Hmmm... odd. I took a newer Z24 on the freeway, and annihilated him. I would be pretty saddened if I lost. However, when I raced an Impala SS from like 70-125... I stuck right next to him the whole way. Well, he slowly inched ahead... maybe a quarter panel on me from 90-125, but he also punched it before me. That race and his response for when I told him to guess what my car is when he asked, inspired my signature line.
Cav's are electronically limited to somewhere between 108 and 113 mph depending on the build date... That is probably how you got him.

Mike
Old 04-26-2003, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Cav's are electronically limited to somewhere between 108 and 113 mph depending on the build date... That is probably how you got him.

Mike
I don't think so Mike. He was pacing me and punched it before I did at around 60-65. When my foot hit the floor... I passed him like he had his cruise control on, almost.

The Cav. Z24 thing reminds me of my trip to Canada like a month or two ago. When we went through Chicago, I saw a super cool Z24. New, white, strange offcenter LEDs on the government worker licensce plate. I recall it looking very much stock... then this dude gunned it. He was driving like a total idiot, but HOLY CRAP THAT THING WAS FAST! Most definitely a big 'ol shot 'o laughy gas or force induced or both.

So who wants to pit their SVX up against my Aurora (mine doesn't exactly have a working tranny)? Preferably stock or real close to stock... I just want to know what the difference is. I think my Aurora is faster... even though I wish my SVX was. Heck I've beaten an STS with the SVX and thought one of those should beat my Aurora... these races in comparison confuse me so much.

Old 04-26-2003, 07:03 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Couple more interesting things

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
ooooooooooo or what about the 'vette with the lotus-tuned motor?

hey..

i didn't want to make stuff up, so i just looked up the lotus-engined corvette on the internet... it was called the ZR-1.

for those of you who don't know, here's a brief history:

in 1991, a corvette cost about $30,000, putting it in a similar price class as our SVX's. If you had $60,000, you could buy two corvettes, OR you could spec the ZR-1 performance package on ONE corvette.

the heart of the ZR-1 package was its twin-cam, 32-valve 5.7 liter V8 (same block as the caprice's wheelie-inducing 5.7?) and produced about 375 horsepower. in 1990, a stock ZR-1 broke the 24-hour speed endurance record by maintaining an average speed of 174 miles per hour over the course of 24 hours.

okay here's another weird bit.. i rememebr hearing that a subaru forester set a 24-hour speed record back in '97.. i just looked into that (goddamn the internet is fantastic when you're drunk) and found that it did in fact do exactly that, but that its speed was significantly less than that of the ZR-1.. i just found out that the governing body which determines who breaks what record apparently placed the forester in a different class than the ZR-1.. oh well

-adam
Ya know where that ZR1 engine was build don't ya Adam? Mercury Marine. They build to a higher tolerance than GM does and I've heard (not sure if its a rumor or not) the reason they went with Mercury Marine rather than having Lotus build them in house was so that it wouldn't be unamerican. Not sure how closely related Mercury Marine is with Ford anymore but I think that it was founded as a branch of Ford originally so maybe you can call it a Ford built, Lotus designed GM.

Another tid bit on the speed records. When the first gen Legacy was introduced it also set a speed record. Fastest car for 100,000km. The thing ran something like 120mph for that one. I'm thinking that is all time not just by class b/c I've never found any footnotes below any of the things I've read that had that in there.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:54 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert

-adam [/B][/QUOTE]

Adam, you didn't really think a Forester could do over 174 mph did you? 180 KILOMETERS per hour is about 112 MILES per hour. Still not bad for 24 hours in a box on wheels. Now... I'll have a shot of whatever you're drinkin'!
Nitrous? Nah...even I'LL pass on that one.

Cheers, Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:23 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Mike
Hey mike, do you know what the 1990 Z-24's were limited at???? Just wondering how fast my little beater could have been.....

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-27-2003, 02:43 PM
Green1995SVX

113 i believe

Mike
Old 04-27-2003, 03:43 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

That's not too bad.... What does yours pull at 60mph???? Mine was almost taching 3000 at 60!!!!! I thought that was crazy.... Is that normal??

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-05-2003, 11:13 PM
I hate stupid people!

Send a message via AIM to BoominSVX
I probably shouldn't be saying this, but I guess I can jump in here with a little info. currently I have 4 cavalier Z24's. 3 88's and 1 89. The 88's all have a max speed of about 104 with the 2.8 engine. Down hill you can get them to go to 105 or 106, but they don't have enough to keep it up when your going for anything more. The 3.1 that came out in 90, which interestingly enough is in my 89, can hit 113 on the highway at a top speed. Maybe 115 or so on a good day with god pushing you downhill. I never went to any of the cavi meets. It seems to me that most cavi owners are closed minded people, maybe a little vein. That doesn't say much for me, But I do own an SVX, and I'd never trade it for the old rattling Z. On a light note. I just wanted to say that the svx is now completely legal, and holding it's own plates again. I was going through withdrawls the past few months not driving it, but she's good to go now. Darn glad too, My nextel i60 has been shutting off on me lately. Today it shut off while my girlfriend was trying to tell me that there were kids out in my backyard with flashlights near my 4-wheeler. I got a little angered and lobbed it at the dash instanlty hearing that ungodly cracking of the titanium. What a horrible thing to loose your temper so quickly. Hey, it's gonna be good to get all those pits out though. Sorry so long.
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.