SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-21-2002, 10:34 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
OT Two Towers Protest

I saw this at another site that I hang around. People really need to get a life. Not that this is a bad thing to do... but

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-21-2002, 12:16 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Re: OT Two Towers Protest

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
I saw this at another site that I hang around. People really need to get a life. Not that this is a bad thing to do... but

L

Gee.. I don't usually go off topic ( ) but I tend to disagree here... this is a bad thing to do. Anyone that draws a connection between these two events (the novels and the terrorist attack) should get thicker skin.... why is it today that you can't call a spade a spade without some one taking it personally..... I chose that example on purpose! When I was growing up all it meant was calling a small shovel a small shovel!!
Now with all of the double and triple meanings that are assigned to just about everything... Offense can be taken (and usually is!) to any remark... If we start doing this with books and novels written with coincidental names it could lead to censorship of unprecedented fervor.

Again just so that certain people don't object to this reply... Isn't the SVX a Great Looking Automobile??? I like the Teal and Pearl colors the most!!!
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 12-21-2002, 12:35 PM
$VX

wow. Politically correct crap.

Oh yeah, the SVX is cool.

- Ca$h
Old 12-21-2002, 03:25 PM
greg

There are two things to look at here. First the content of the movie. Second the name. If you first look at the content there is nothing that relates to New York or any Al Queida activity. So then I must make note of the second, the name. There is obviously no relativity to the two... I am confused why there must be some ridiculous outrage to this. I would contend too that someone who cannot deal with a name of a movie would take offense to the multi-million dollar hollywood event that will be made of this tragedy like all others... GEEZ, what if that movie was named the twin towers...can you imagine....

What has this country come to?

-G
Old 12-21-2002, 04:52 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Some people like to whine and cry about anything, especially those that think there might be something in it for them when they do. We should blame ourselves for allowing the legal community to remove our thick skin for a few bucks in return.

I do believe in freedom of speech, everyone should be allowed their opinions. However I also reserve the right to listen or not. I can be as closed-minded as the next guy when I think the subject is frivolous.

The TT topic? My opinion is that I hope the whiners choke on the froth of their own saliva. But that's just my opinion...
Old 12-21-2002, 10:05 PM
Network Design Administrator

I never even made the corelation until reading that page, and all I have to say is WTF?!?!?!?!?

I was serving in the Military at the time, and had/have family in NYC.

Yet, I will say it again, it NEVER crossed my mind that there was the slightest similarity.

Its just someone looking for their '15 Minutes'.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:31 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Thumbs up

<Some people like to whine and cry about anything, especially those that think there might be something in it for them when they do. We should blame ourselves for allowing the legal community to remove our thick skin for a few bucks in return>

Yep.....

<Yet, I will say it again, it NEVER crossed my mind that there was the slightest similar>

Call me dense (not you Ron!), but I would have not seen any connection....

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 12-21-2002 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:02 PM
FifthElement

I never made the connection either until I viewed that site.

If I had lost loved ones in that tragedy, I can guarantee you I'd be pissed off about the name of this movie.

Sensitivity to tragedies isn't something that has a statute of limitations, as many of you believe. It's like a certain amount of time went by and all of a sudden society and the media has decided that 'mourning' time is over and it's time to get on with business. But those who were directly affected (yeah most of you think you were directly affected, but I promise you most of you weren't) have to deal with what happened every day and will for the rest of their life. And those people have every right to protest whatever they view as ignorant - and now that I've made the connection, I find the name of the movie incredibly ignorant and in horribly bad taste. If you can't understand why those who were affected by the events would be pissed about the name of the movie, then wtf is wrong with you?

Obviously the name should not be changed, but the studio that released this film deserves to be chewed out. If they planned on keeping the book's title, they should not have rushed to get the movie out so soon. Most followups to movies do not come out the following year, and it's quite silly and ignorant of those in charge to have decided to do so on this one.

Will I boycott the film because of this? No. Will I curse out the people who decided to put together a protest? HELL NO.

There are two sides to the coin and each side has a valid point in their decision. Each side deserves a certain amount of respect, respect that would not be given by cursing them out.

And I'll tell you - I hardly see how anyone is getting 15 minutes of fame from this kind of protest.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:10 PM
CopsodyX

Thats rediculess. They need to get a life. I lost people I knew, but come on...please! Not like everyone isn't getting enough...where's the money for the Oklahoma City Bombing victims? The 9/11 families begrudged a woman losing her farm cause her husband died in that tragedy a million dollars...most of these people are getting 25x that! It just quite frankly makes me sick.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:16 PM
FifthElement

Your argument is invalid. I don't recall any movies being titled "The Oklahoma City Bombing" that came out a year and a half after that tragedy.

Nor do I recall anyone in this protest asking for money.

Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX
Thats rediculess. They need to get a life. I lost people I knew, but come on...please! Not like everyone isn't getting enough...where's the money for the Oklahoma City Bombing victims? The 9/11 families begrudged a woman losing her farm cause her husband died in that tragedy a million dollars...most of these people are getting 25x that! It just quite frankly makes me sick.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:19 PM
CopsodyX

Sorry...the Ok. City thing was supposed to be a new paragraph...the situation just annoys me. As in, the families of 9/11 victims need to chill out. I'm one of them, but I would never begrudge other ppl money like most of the families have. God forbid the housewives should get a job...I know i sound a bit harsh here, but I live next to one of the most horrible 9/11 family situations ever...if you only knew, you'd flip too.

Last edited by CopsodyX; 12-21-2002 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2002, 07:57 AM
alacrity024

my seventeen-year old brother says:

"That is ****in' qu**r. just ****in' qu**r. you stupid ****in' american. That's like changing the name of 'Catcher in the Rye' because someone got hit by a baseball.. in Rye, NY..."

...in different words, I agree

-adam