SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 02-23-2010, 06:44 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Car for my little bro

Well guys, it's time for my younger brother to get his first car. He's 17, a junior in high school and has a budget of $2000. He lives in Tampa too.

What are your recommendations? Keep in mind it doesn't have to be the most practical thing possible, though that's always a plus. My other brother has a 240 and I have the SVX. So between me and him we know our way around '90s sports cars decently well. I'm not sure that an SVX is the way to go, because of how expensive they can be and how hard it can be to find a good one. Not in a huge hurry though and he said he would like an SVX, so perhaps.

What do you all think? What would you get for your high school brother's first car?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Car for my little bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Well guys, it's time for my younger brother to get his first car. He's 17, a junior in high school and has a budget of $2000. He lives in Tampa too.

What are your recommendations? Keep in mind it doesn't have to be the most practical thing possible, though that's always a plus. My other brother has a 240 and I have the SVX. So between me and him we know our way around '90s sports cars decently well. I'm not sure that an SVX is the way to go, because of how expensive they can be and how hard it can be to find a good one. Not in a huge hurry though and he said he would like an SVX, so perhaps.

What do you all think? What would you get for your high school brother's first car?
Sigh... Even though I hate these cars... a civic or accord is your best bet. the up keep on these cars is.... interesting. The parts for civics etc are plentiful and cheap compared to our cars. Again I hate them but for a highschool with a low budget they are the best bet.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 02-23-2010, 06:55 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I recommend Corollas too
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

My 98 Forester is prob the best car I ever bought when it comes to reliability and cost of ownership and maint.

Granted I did A LOT of preventative maint before I drove it X-country but honestly. I put $1500 total into the car with another $500 in good offroad tires for it to handle any weather... I have put 50K miles on it in the last year... Besides my own antics breaking pieces here and there, I am sure it would have been just fine if I didn't beat the hell out of it or sink it in up to the bottom of the windows in water...

Point is, I still drive it all the time. It starts, runs, and drives whenever I need it to

Tom
Old 02-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

How about an Impreza coupe, sedan or wagon depending on his flavor. 1.8 is perfectly fine with the stick but the 2.2 will get just as good of gas mileage. VERY safe car as I rolled mine 2x and hit an enbankment at 75ish and lived to tell with some bumps bruises and a broken ankle. Sure it isn't as cheap as a honda for maint. but it is easier to do the work yourself and cheaper to buy at the onset.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:52 PM

Registered SVX

Good ideas guys. I's hate for him to be another chump with a corolla/civic/boring-mobile. I have a feeling he's not going to go for a Forester, just because of the cool factor, but an Impreza might be a very good bet. What all types were there, and what to look for? I know that the early 2.5 boxer-4s had head gasket problems or some such, but other than that I don't know. What about 90s Legacies? Might have a hard time finding good ones as Subarus are even less common down here in Florida than they are up north.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

The 1990-1994 Legacies are built like tanks and require little or no upkeep. Plus you get AWD
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 02-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
The 1990-1994 Legacies are built like tanks and require little or no upkeep. Plus you get AWD
Yeah forget those oil changes too, all it does is make the other fluids look bad.... and they dont like that

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 AM

Registered SVX

Cool, thanks guys, I'll look around.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: