Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2006, 07:50 PM
angmercy

Crank Pulley?

So I have been having problems with my SVX for a little while now (this is long, but please bear with me). Initially the gas mileage dropped dramatically and it lost power, especially at low rpms (it wouldn't drive over 1500 rpm until it warmed up). I replaced the spark plugs (they needed to be done no matter what), and that helped mildly for a while. The gas mileage improved, although was still way below normal, and it drove a little better, but still had less power than normal. And when starting up through an intersection, I felt like granny it went so slow. During the last week or so the car has been driving much worse. It shakes pretty bad when driving, and idling (almost as if you're getting a massage while driving). It seems to be worse at lower rpms. The p/s, alternator, etc belt finally broke and I went to replace it tonight. When doing so I found that the crankshaft pulley bolt was very loose, and it almost feels stripped. I tightened it up for now, but wanted suggestions on what may be wrong. I did some searches and it appears to me as if I should check the harmonic balancer and the key (I didn't think to look at either of those when replacing the belt). So my first question is, could these things cause these problems? And if so, should I just go ahead and replace them, or should I open it up and see if there is any damage to the crank? I am very hesitant to drive the car until I figure this problem out, so any suggestions or advice would be great. Thanks so much!
Old 01-09-2006, 08:26 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
You can try pulling up some codes. This should give you an idea where to start.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Definitely take the pulley off and take a look at the key and the pulley itself. You risk it flying off there and breaking more stuff if anything got screwed up while it was loose. What makes you think the crank bolt is stripped? While your at it, you may as well take off the timing cover and check all the idlers and the belt to make sure they are all good too. As far as the power thing goes, Try checking out the MAF. Mine just went bad on me and I had some conditions like yours.I put in another one I bought and it runs better than it ever has. Good luck.

P.S. My MAF never threw a check engine light till the day before I replaced it, So don't count on it to tell you everything.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by angmercy
So I have been having problems with my SVX for a little while now (this is long, but please bear with me). Initially the gas mileage dropped dramatically and it lost power, especially at low rpms (it wouldn't drive over 1500 rpm until it warmed up). I replaced the spark plugs (they needed to be done no matter what), and that helped mildly for a while. The gas mileage improved, although was still way below normal, and it drove a little better, but still had less power than normal. And when starting up through an intersection, I felt like granny it went so slow. During the last week or so the car has been driving much worse. It shakes pretty bad when driving, and idling (almost as if you're getting a massage while driving). It seems to be worse at lower rpms. The p/s, alternator, etc belt finally broke and I went to replace it tonight. When doing so I found that the crankshaft pulley bolt was very loose, and it almost feels stripped. I tightened it up for now, but wanted suggestions on what may be wrong. I did some searches and it appears to me as if I should check the harmonic balancer and the key (I didn't think to look at either of those when replacing the belt). So my first question is, could these things cause these problems? And if so, should I just go ahead and replace them, or should I open it up and see if there is any damage to the crank? I am very hesitant to drive the car until I figure this problem out, so any suggestions or advice would be great. Thanks so much!
As you say the harmonic balancer was loose for a while, the timing belt sprocket on the crank has been loose also. You will have to pull the.covers off, and have a look at the key that fixes the sprocket to the crank. It will be sheared off.

Has happened before, so a search of the forums, will tell you more about it.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Here's an example of what I went through:http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=WTF+happened

Hope it's not as bad or at least easier for you. You can learn from my mistakes by reading the thread.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:11 AM
Sue isn't really striped

My pulley seperated but (thankfully) stayed in place, only symptoms were a decrease in mileage and the occasional squeal.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...cone/10473.JPG