SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
Well, I finally found a competent shop that actually looked at my steering system (instead of just driving and "feeling" for play). Turns out it's my inner tie rod ends are worn.

So, how hard are these to replace? Anybody ever done it?

Mat
Well Mat, they are the ones you can adjust. You pull the rubber boot back from the rack, the tie rod has a ball cup that is scrwed over the ball and on to the end of the rack. You knock the lock plate back and tighten the ball cup till there is no play, relock the lock plate, fit the boot back, get a wheel alignment, and start smiling.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Thanks Harvey! I'll get under there this week and adjust those. I'd guess, however, that there's some sort of limit as to how much they can be adjusted before needing replaced. What should I look for that would indicate that a replacement is necessary? You know...things that would indicate that the ball is out of round or that the cup is excessively worn.

Mat

BTW...Merry Christmas to everybody :-)
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 12-25-2005, 02:11 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
Thanks Harvey! I'll get under there this week and adjust those. I'd guess, however, that there's some sort of limit as to how much they can be adjusted before needing replaced. What should I look for that would indicate that a replacement is necessary? You know...things that would indicate that the ball is out of round or that the cup is excessively worn.

Mat

BTW...Merry Christmas to everybody :-)
Mat you can unscrew the cup and check the ball and cup for wear. It would have to be loose for a long time to have a lot of wear. I reckon it will be ok to adjust the play, till it is all gone, if it is too tight it will become too tight to move, just remove the play without it becoming stiff.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:15 PM

Darn boot!

Is there some sort of trick to getting the boot to come off so that I can access the inner tie rod ends? I've got the tie wrap style clamp off of the inner end of the boot, and I have the metal clamp off of the outer end of the boot. I got the outer end of the boot to slide over the small lip that holds it in place, but for some reason I cannot get the boot to slide completely off. It's like it moves about 1/4" and then hangs up on something.

Is there a trick to getting it off, or do I just have to force it off?

Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 12-29-2005, 04:01 PM

Darn boot!

well, got the boot off...now I can't get the locking plate off. I've been tapping at it with a hammer/screwdriver combo. Any better way to do it? Right now it's just bending the plate.

Thanks

Mat