Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-16-2005, 10:46 AM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
Please help Engine Noise

Yesterday driving home from work i heard a noise that sounded like my pcv valve was letting out alot of air when i reached mid and high rpm's. When i let of there was a whooshing sound that kinda sounded like an extended blow off valve (which was kinda cool at the moment). I drove about 5 more miles and i noticed the lower my rpm's the louder the noise until eventually i was idling and it was a horrible clanging noise. I pulled over and the sound was unbearable so i turned it off and got it towed home. It sounded like i had thrown a rod. I was wondering if there may be a different problem. The sound is coming from the center of the engine. I read earlier about people who had similar symptoms and it was either a sticky valve or a plate (cant think of it right now). Any way to diagnose it from my driveway? Also wouldnt a thrown rod mean engine rebuild? Any approx. costs on that? Thanks
Old 02-17-2005, 04:55 PM
You're mine!!

Would the check engine light come on if it was a rod? There were no caution lights on.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by rob_4187
Would the check engine light come on if it was a rod? There were no caution lights on.
nope. CEL is for electrical/sensor failures.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:03 AM
You're mine!!

Ok well i found that it was the flex plate. I got everything out and im waiting for the parts to come in. Any tips on installation? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-22-2005, 12:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
I believe you would do the opposite of the install from that point. Torque to specs and then reinstall tranny but im not positive on that....