Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-03-2004, 10:55 AM

Rear Engine Oil Seal Replacement

I'm considering taking this job on. I'd be grateful for any advice that anyone can pass along. Specifically, after I remove the transmission, what's the best way to remove the flexplate/flywheel to get to the seal (assuming one doesn't have the special Subaru tool to hold the crankshaft in place)? Also, can anyone elighten me on the size of the seal itself? Ordinarily, I'd plan to use a length of comparable diameter PVC pipe to install the new seal, but am curious as to how large the seal is.

Thanks for any and all help.

Joe Fillip
'95 L AWD ("The Wayback Machine")
Swarthmore, PA
Old 09-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Have someone help you.

Removing the flexplate with an impact...easy. Torquing it back on properly is a little more difficult because the engine will turn.

The part on subaruparts has the dimensions 86x103x1 in the name.

Be careful when removing the old one as to not mark the block or the crankshaft. You don't want to have to do the job all over again!

When installing the new one you can use a soft hammer (or soft anything) to slowly knock the new one in place.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:20 PM

seal

being that i have removed 4 svx engines and only on tranny, i would pull the engine to do this job. granted either way you will either need a tranny jack or an engine hoist. the tranny is really heavy and a regular jack is dangerouse to use. plus you can do other jobs easier if its out like the plugs, cam belt, seals.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Peach

donut time

Unless you have to because of oil leaking, really be sure you need to do this. Check pg.2 of this forum "tech ques & ans" under "broken flexplate." If you pull tranny you save the A/C charge. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:13 PM

Thanks to all for the advice. I spent the better part of this morning cleaning the engine thoroughly and then checking for leaks while the engine was running, to make certain that I hadn't misdiagnosed the cause of the leak.

No leaks at all from the power steering hoses or the steering rack.

Engine oil is slowly weeping out from just in front of the flexplate (on the engine side of the flexplate) on the passenger side of the engine. Looking up at this spot from underneath the car, I spied what appears to be a white piece of plastic -- can anyone identify this part?

I've lost a quart of oil in about 700 miles. I'm torn as to whether to attempt the seal replacement now, or to keep checking/refilling the oil. Thoughts?

Again, thanks for the help.

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever." -- Larry Andersen
Old 09-06-2004, 07:50 PM

plate

<<I spied what appears to be a white piece of plastic -- can anyone identify this part?>>

thats the separator plate. it gives acces to the cylinder wrist pin. its sealed with hi temp silicone. thats what is prob leaking.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:43 AM

Oil Separator Cover

Anyone have any experience in resealing the oil separator cover? Did you cut a gasket to fit? What type of sealant did you use?

Thanks. -- Joe

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA