Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-20-2003, 04:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Tires

Friday I had Yoko AVS dBs S2 installed on the '92 SVX.
This morning, on the way to work,was the first time that I could really check them out. They are stock size and I run 35psi front/ 30 psi rear.
My initial impressions of the his tire are:
They are incredibly quiet. I actually heard some wind noise.
They seem softer than the original AVS dbs that were replaced. That's probably because these are brand spanking new and the old ones were really worn.
The ride is very smooth. They grip very well. I took a left hand high speed sweeping turn at about 85 mph and the expansion strip and change of pavement type did not throw them off line like the old tires.
Tomorrow, it is supposed to rain, so I'll probably have another report.

I bought the Yokos from Tire Rack after waiting since mid July for the Conti Extreme Contact tires. Last Monday I called Continental. They said that they now expected the 225-50-R16 tires around mid-Dec. When I spoke to them about 10 days before they promised by the end of Oct. Continental ought to get their act together. They supposedly have a good product but can't seem to get it to market. My old tires needed replacement before that. That's why I switched to the Yoko's.

PS: Did I mention that I predict that the Yankees will win the Series?
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 10-20-2003, 12:20 PM
Network Design Administrator

See Larry, I told you that you would be happy, they are SO quiet its scary!!
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:48 AM
96svxer

I picked up a set of Conti Extreams from the tire rack, had to get 225/55/16 though, I too got tired of waiting around for the 225/50/16's. Great tire, look like they will do well in the snow too.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:29 AM
Who watches the watchmen?

test results

TireRack compared the dB S2 and ExtremeContact tires (along with Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S and Goodyear RS-A). Check out the results:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...emeContact.jsp
Old 10-31-2003, 12:33 PM
96svxer

but no snow data....just by looking at the tread it looks like the conti's are geared less to pure summer performance and more towards true all-weather/snow. Cant have everything
Old 10-31-2003, 03:18 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

I was hoping for some snow data on the report as the girlfriend's Forester needs some new tires. It will only see light snow duty, but you never want to find out the hard way that tires are terrible in the snow. I think we are going to go with Bridgestone Turanza LS-H for her little blue Subie. They seem really good.

Matt (also has a blue Subie)
Old 11-01-2003, 09:39 PM
chellie

Ok, you guys I need some help. I need new tires....
1. Do all 4 tires need replaced or can I get away with 2 new ones
Only one blew out
2. What is the differance between Directional and Non Directional?
3. Does anyone run Cooper Touring?
4. I drive my baby alot as I can't help myself. She has been sitting since the blow out and I am so confused as to what to buy that I can afford I don;'t know what to do. I am dazed and confused.
5. Can any garage put these tires on or should I take her to a Subaru dealer? What I mean, I guess, can I mess up the balance and steering by letting a local yoko put them on.

Thankx guys,
Old 11-02-2003, 06:38 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Continental ExtremeContacts

Larry,
I put a set of ExtremeContacts on the Focus last month. They are very quite and amazing in the rain. They are not quite as good as the the SportContacts in the dry, but close enough. I couldn't afford a separate set of wheels and snow tires this winter, so I will have to see how they do in the slippery stuff....but the Tire Rack reports seem to indicate they will do fine.

Whenever I can afford to replace yet another wheel bearing on the SVX, the next move will be to replace the old Dunlops with ExtremeContacts. For me, they just may be the perfect all-around tire.

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 11-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally posted by chellie
Ok, you guys I need some help. I need new tires....
1. Do all 4 tires need replaced or can I get away with 2 new ones
Only one blew out
2. What is the differance between Directional and Non Directional?
3. Does anyone run Cooper Touring?
4. I drive my baby alot as I can't help myself. She has been sitting since the blow out and I am so confused as to what to buy that I can afford I don;'t know what to do. I am dazed and confused.
5. Can any garage put these tires on or should I take her to a Subaru dealer? What I mean, I guess, can I mess up the balance and steering by letting a local yoko put them on.

Thankx guys,
1. if you have an AWD SVX you need to replace all four tires, otherwise your back wheels will rotate slightly slower or faster than your front ones, causing excess heat....
2. direction and non directional just apply to whether the tire can only be put on in one direction, this affects rotation, but if you have the stock wheels, you wouldn't be cross rotating them anyway.
3. no input
4. What are you looking for in a tire? what can you afford, check out www.tirerack.com because they have a lot of good info (the one thing i really hate about tirerack, is the values they have the tires rated at, are all customer input, so they aren't factual claims) if you are looking at all season, the continental conti-extremes, the B/F goodrich T/A KDWS, and the Yokohama DbS2s are alll good tires, the continentals are better in snow, while the others are better in most everything else
5. yes, any local garage can put them on, just make sure to ask them if they use the "european tire machine" rather than the "tire machine" (not sure exactly on the names, but i know that the tire machine can really scratch up your wheels if they aren't carefull

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 01-29-2004, 06:10 PM
Bill Hutchison

All Season Tires

I just had Nokian WRs installed on the '96 SVX.
This afternoon on the way was the first tiem I could really check them out. They are not stock size but 205/55/16 and I run 32psi front/ 29 psi rear. I chose to go with a slightly narrow tire to help with the snow here in CO.

My initial impressions of the his tire are:
They are incredibly quiet. I actually heard some wind noise.

It is difficult to offer a comparison to my old tires because they were 8 years old and still on the SVX when I bought it last month. The old Potenza R95s, I believe, were the OEM. These had hardened and cracked all over. I never tried to push them because if those "features."

The ride on the WRs is very smooth and quiet. They grip very well. I took the trip up a mountain pass with confidence at 75 mph. These tires are H rated, made in Finland, set up for all season but strong handling traits. & come with 50K mileage warranty.
This weekedn , is supposed to bring fresh snow, so I'll probably have another report.