Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-22-2003, 04:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Misc. Ramblings----It's Scary on the Public Roads

I got into work at 6:00 AM this morn. I came up the Blue Route (I-476). This is an expressway. It is 2 lanes in one direction for a while, then 3 lanes . I normally cruise up at 80-85 mph in the left lane. There is very little traffic at 5:30 - 6:00 AM. This morning there was moderate traffic and it was flying. Why do the tractor traliers (18 wheelers), pick-up triucks, SUVs, etc. have to drive so fast. I was doing my 80-85 mph in SUBYDOO in the middle lane and all those other vehicles were passing me.

As a check, I matched speed with the local newspaper delivery truck. He was doing 93 mph. Why does the guy delivering the Phila. Inquire and Daily News have to drive so fast?
I know how my SVX & its tires will handle. I doubt if these other guys on the road even know what make and model of tire they have on their vehicle.

It's really getting nuts on the roads, especially when a gasoline tanker passes you and you're doing 80 mph; and that was on a slight uphill grade.

The scary though is that if you dive at the speed limit (55-60 mph), you are causing a disruption in the traffic flow pattern and that's what causes accidents.

Maybe I'm just getting old.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!

Last edited by LarryIII; 08-22-2003 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:30 AM
Pearlywhites1992

Larry, there is something amazing about your neck of the woods:
everytime I visit Philly or New Jersey, I cinch my belt tight, and
prepare to drive like Michael Schumacher. In fact the PA turnpike
is the only place I've driven at speeds well over a hundred, for any length of time. The SVX is well suited, a gasoline tanker is not! I'm looking forward to my next trip, nonetheless!

Tim '92 SVX: still wiping away the druel, from a WRX owner yesterday.......
Former IMSA, and SCCA license carrier.
Pro/Expert DH MTB racer/freerider.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:45 AM
Shot king

The best ive seen is crossin the border from New Jersey into Pa. On the N.J. side of the border it seems like theres a cop every 2 miles but as soon as ya crossover it turns into the Indy 500. Everyone gets on the gas. Pretty soon its complete insanity and everytime i've seen it traffic was light i can just imagine heavy traffic. Actually maybe i won't imagine it don't need an anxiety attack.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:42 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Misc. Ramblings----It's Scary on the Public Roads

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
It's really getting nuts on the roads, especially when a gasoline tanker passes you and you're doing 80 mph; and that was on a slight uphill grade.

The scary though is that if you dive at the speed limit (55-60 mph), you are causing a disruption in the traffic flow pattern and that's what causes accidents.

Most of the types you just mentioned, I don't mind so much. They are professional drivers, generally know their own capabilities and that of their vehicles. Early morning, like yourself Larry, they have a deadline to meet, and are usually driving in an alert fashion.

Where I would be worried is an emergency braking scenario anywhere in the vicinity of an artic [you call them semis??] They can get out of line and sideswipe cars, so I like to see those guys leaving what I call "thinking distance" between themselves and the vehicle in front. You may also find the reason the tanker driver can go so quick, they are empty, having made an overnight delivery. When empty, they have so much rubber on the road, they can stop quicker than an SVX or most cars indeed, so don't follow them too close behind.

The only real problem I see with all the traffic going at the speeds you mention, when it goes wrong, it Fs up big time. Too much momentum, not enough time to stop it all. Better to be elsewhere.

Stay wary and take care.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl