How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-06-2003, 01:51 AM
Loki

I think I have AWD problems...

Under heavy acceleration i get some nasty torque steer and my front wheels can be smoked. Sometimes I feel a thud and if takes off (I kinda thought it was the tires gripping) w/no torque steer, whats the deal? Could it be a sensor, a seniliod or a transfer plate? Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks again,

Todd.

The tranny was replaced by AAMACO transmissions by the previous owner about 10k ago plus or minus some. I heard there not the best shop but I got the car for $4,700.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:18 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Yes your RWD isn't working. You may want to get the transfer pressure checked to find the cause. No pressure it's the transfer control valve solenoid assy and if it has pressure, it's the transfer clutches.
You may want to drive softly until you get fixed.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:52 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I agree. Another less likely possibility is the TCU. Does it bind at all? Try turning in a circle then stopping and waiting for about 30 seconds (in gear). Mine will "release" when I do that and I feel a small kick when it does.

I've recently tried another TCU but that did not solve the problem in my case like it did for Aredubjay.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:24 PM
Loki

Why would driving hard be a problem? I am afraid I have driven the car somewhat hard since I got it, I really dont know how long the car has had the problem. I tried resetting the computer, this didn't fix the AWD but the car feels MUCH faster (it can smoke the front two from a dead stop). Some times under a light load I get a flare from 2nd to 3rd, Ive been told that this was the TPS, could this also be a factor? How much would it be to check the transfer pressure? What would it mean if there isn't any or if there is? What could the price range be to fix my problem? BTW When I had the car checked out by the dealer, they said the computer was spitting no codes, ive never had a check engine or power light on (except the latter when I floor it).

Thank you all SOO much for you help.

Todd Gilbert

PS If it helps for me to explain the problem over the phone, email me with a Time and a number and I'll call you, my email is ceramickid@hotmail.com
Old 06-06-2003, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
It seems if AWD works occasionally, then it is probably the solenoid (duty solenoid C) that activates the transfer clutch.

The test is pretty simple, they just hook up a oil pressure gauge to the port on the top of the extention housing. At idle, in D or R, it should be about 7-11 psi, at stall speed ~2700 rpm with the throttle fully open it should be 104-114 psi. With the FWD fuse in, the pressure should be 0 at stall rpm w/ throttle wide open. Plenty of shops could do this testing for you. If you can find a gauge that goes that high and the right adapter, you could do it yourself.
It is outlined in section w3e0 of the service manual, page 121.

The 'thud' noise is the transfer clutch engaging, sending power to the rear wheels in 50/50 split mode

Also...does the power light blink a bunch of times when you start the car? That indicates a problem as well.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com