SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-03-2003, 11:32 AM
MAD4SVX

R-12 Oil Does not get sucked in

Hi Guys,

Need you help again if possible.

I bought some R-12 Oil for my A/C. Ok, I thought it was R12 freon but I was wrong - but instead of wasting it or sending it back, I thought I'd top it up. I folowed the instructions- A/C running on full etc but the car will not suck the R12 oil in.

Note:

a) My A/C is almost empty. There are a couple of oily bubbles in the spy hole that just drip down. The bubbles are quite large. (I.E there is not a lot of tiny bubbles)

b) When I press the valve on the outlet on the high side, only air comes out. The air is not wet. I'm assuming that the A/C is filled only with air and no R12 inside.

Questions:

1) Does this mean that I have to have my A/C evacuated? I was hoping that if I got this done, it would create a vacume whithin the A/C system - which would then suck in the R12 oil when connected.

2) Does anybody know how long and how much this will cost?

Any help would be appriceated as I want to get some Freeze 12 - I saw on ebay. But I don't want to get it if it won't go in!

Thanks

Mark
Old 06-03-2003, 12:34 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Re: R-12 Oil Does not get sucked in

Quote:
Originally posted by MAD4SVX
Hi Guys,

Need you help again if possible.

I bought some R-12 Oil for my A/C. Ok, I thought it was R12 freon but I was wrong - but instead of wasting it or sending it back, I thought I'd top it up. I folowed the instructions- A/C running on full etc but the car will not suck the R12 oil in.

Note:

a) My A/C is almost empty. There are a couple of oily bubbles in the spy hole that just drip down. The bubbles are quite large. (I.E there is not a lot of tiny bubbles)

b) When I press the valve on the outlet on the high side, only air comes out. The air is not wet. I'm assuming that the A/C is filled only with air and no R12 inside.

Questions:

1) Does this mean that I have to have my A/C evacuated? I was hoping that if I got this done, it would create a vacume whithin the A/C system - which would then suck in the R12 oil when connected.

2) Does anybody know how long and how much this will cost?

Any help would be appriceated as I want to get some Freeze 12 - I saw on ebay. But I don't want to get it if it won't go in!

Thanks

Mark

I may be wrong on this but .. the oil must have pressure behind it to get into a pressurized system. There is no vacuum in the A/C system. Just one side with High pressure and one side with a lower pressure (still pressurized though)
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 06-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I don't want to come across as a jerk, but if you don't know what you're doing with a/c it is best left to someone who does. No guages, no ideas, no experience equals a dangerous situation. You could lose your eyesight, harm yourself in any number of ways and/or ruin your system to the point that the cost to repair it will throw you into shock. And yes, I do know what I'm saying.

Just friendly advice.

BTW - Most repair shops run beginning of summer a/c tune-ups for $20 - $40, That would be a good idea for a system analysis.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:30 PM
MAD4SVX

Nah, I wasn't going to do it myself, once I found that I bought the wrong stuff - I thought that a pro might be better - Once I got the stuff I was able to see the warnings.

I just wanted to know what to expect when I take it to a garage - I don't want to be ripped off. For example - if it does not need to be evacuated - then I don't want to pay the $54 to evacuate it.

I'm hoping they can just fill it up. I was quoted $84 ($60 per pound - I read the SVX takes 22 oz).

Besides it would be illigal for me to do it myself - unless I used the Freeze 12 stuff.

Cheers
Old 06-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Boring Member

I'm guessing you have a 92 if you're needing R12. If that's the case, it will be very expensive. R12 is in ever-dwindling supply these days. It costs a small fortune for 1 pound. It doesn't matter where you go, if you stick with R12, you will think you are getting ripped off, because it will cost in the hundreds of dollars for an evacuate and recharge.

I would suggest looking into a conversion to R134A. It's less expensive and works almost as good as R12 on most cars.

By the way, if your SVX is NOT a 92, it is already R134. Take it to a shop and have it evacuated. R12 oil isn't compatible with 134.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:58 PM
MAD4SVX

It's definetly R12 but I found a place which will do it for $55 for the evac and $60 per pound of R12 Freon. It will work out at about $135 which I think is pretty good. So I'll go ahead and do that.

I would still like to know why this brand new can of R12 oil would not go in - the can should of been pressurised.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2003, 03:48 PM

R12 is not oil, R12 is a gas that can be compressed into liquid. It should be sucked in if attached to the low side of running a/c system (the can will get cold and might need some warming).

It will blow up the can with severe consequences to bystanders if attached to high side of a/c system. Just a friendly warning.

The lubricant for R12 system is a mineral oil. It is not a gas, it will not get sucked in - it needs to be poured in. Normally you do not need to top up the oil. Too much oil in the system will demolish the a/c compressor (hint - oil is not compressible and compressor does not like to compress uncompressible stuff). A top-off doze iz about 1oz only when it is obvious that oil has leaked (obvious greasy leak after a total loss of refrigerant). A top-off pack is often a syringe that you press to inject oil through the low side connector.

Better still is to evacuate the system, pour out all oil out of compressor and put the correct factory-prescribed amount of fresh oil in it.