Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2003, 09:17 PM

Transmisson Cooler Pictures???

Hi,
I have never attempted to put a after market trans cooler. After spending close to 3 grand on a rebuilt trans in Febuary. I am thinking about a after market cooler. I am probably going to buy a B & M. Anway I was wondering if anyone has pictures of how it installs in relationship to the transmission. I have no idea on how it connects to the transmission. Please help. Thanks.

awdsvx
Old 06-01-2003, 09:36 PM

there might be photos but the install itself is easy, but depends on a couple of things.

However, one basic first The "in" side of the stock cooler is on the passenger side of the car (in the US anyway). Well that implies the output is on the driver's side - duh!

Next, the position of the aftermarket cooler determines efficiency. In front of the A/C condenser (or in the fender as some have done) yields 100% relatively speaking. Between the condenser and radiator gives about 75% relative and behind the radiator gives about 60%. These are not facts - just a relative gauge of effectiveness.

Decide on how to use the cooler - replace stock or supplement stock. If supplementing, decide on parallel or serial installation.

all that said, opinions have and will continue to abound. on my car if decided to go the serial supplement route getting a 3/4" thick Hayden plate cooler (vice the tube style some use - what another variable!!!) with a rating of 16,000 (bigger number means more cooling (yet another variable !!!!!!). Anyway, I took loose the line from the output of the stock cooler, ran a hose to the Hayden. ran a hose from the Hayden back to the pipe for the return line to the tranny. Be ready to catch fluid on this and replace it before starting the car.

If you have access to compressed air AND you are going the supplement route, you might choose to "back flush" the stock cooler as suggested in the TSB.

best of luck, this is a very popular topic, run a search and you'll see what I mean.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
pics at http://isuzu-suvs.com/svx

-mike
Old 06-02-2003, 07:54 AM

Thanks Paisan

Thanks for the link, very helpful.