Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-06-2003, 01:47 PM
MAD4SVX

Cleaning the throttle body

Hi,

I had a look for that "How to" for cleaning the throttle body but could not find it, anybody got a copy?

I searched the entire group and checked the "How-To" folder.

Cheers again

Mark
Old 03-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Cleaning the throttle body

Quote:
Originally posted by MAD4SVX
Hi,

I had a look for that "How to" for cleaning the throttle body but could not find it, anybody got a copy?

I searched the entire group and checked the "How-To" folder.

Cheers again

Mark
Hmmm. I found this post under a thread entitled (strangely enough) "Cleaning the Throttle Body."

Troy,
Your throttle body is located under your H6 Cover (be careful not to lose the little screw-like clips that hold it on). Take it off and you'll see two large rubber hoses held on by large worm-gear clamps. Start by loosening those clamps. Once done, unsnap your air box (where your filter is). You'll also need to find a few hoses that are attached to the plastic bits connected to the intake (large plastic ductwork), as wall as unplug the electrical connector to your MAF (the thing that looks like a small Pizza Hut, in the plastic "ductwork" configuration). Once all that stuff is removed, the orifices from which you undid the large clamps is your throttle body. spray those orifices liberally with carb/choke or throttle body cleaner. That will clean out accumulated varnish and other gunk. Then, open the butterflies by depressing the accelerator (you'll see the link to the butterflies on the passenger's side -- if I remember correctly -- attached to the accelerator cable -- just depress that). Once the butterflies are open, continue to liberally spray cleaner into those areas until the cleaner begins to run clear. Occasionally use a mirror to check and make sure the areas are clean. Once you've gotten it all cleaned up, and used a rag to dry up any remaining cleaner in the intake, then, reconnect the intake ductwork and you're done.

As I told one member, you may experience some rough running on start up and puffs of white smoke -- that's normal. It's your car burning off the cleaner that's still in the intake. Just drive it around a little while and it'll smooth out -- plus, your ECU will begin to adjust for the freer flow of air.

Good luck.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-06-2003, 03:14 PM
MAD4SVX

Thanks a lot for the info, I can't wait to see the difference when done!

Honestly, I did search for the subject, but did not find it - I just tried again. Perhaps I'm not subscribed to the correct forum or something.

Thanks again

Mark
Old 03-06-2003, 03:34 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by MAD4SVX
Thanks a lot for the info, I can't wait to see the difference when done!

Honestly, I did search for the subject, but did not find it - I just tried again. Perhaps I'm not subscribed to the correct forum or something.

Thanks again

Mark
No problem, Mark. The search button at the top searches "all open forums." It takes some getting used to.

Luckily, I just remembered where I had originally posted the procedure. Good lluck, and keep us informed on improvements.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI