How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-07-2002, 07:39 AM
Ticallion

valve lifters

There's a rather loud ticking coming from the passenger side of the engine when the car is REALLY cold. It seems to diminish after it warms up, but never actually goes away. Is there anything that can be done about this? I think it might be the valve lifters. Any solutions aside from a head rebuild?
Thanks
-Ross
Old 11-07-2002, 08:25 AM
Alcyone SVX LSL

mine did that, i added some ATF to the ps and it stoped when it was fully warm and the ps tank was full, i belive my o-ring is out so i will go pick it up today and change the oring, the fluid will thin when cold and the ATF in the tank might be leaking out, all sounds crazy but if i leave the fluid at full it works great.
You may want to try this and see if it is a fix, mine used to be very loud when i first got my car; now there is no click.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:56 AM
Ticallion

Well, there IS whirring from the ps pump. I already ordered the O-ring. We'll see if that is the cause
Old 11-07-2002, 11:16 AM

One additional source for the "ticking" is the fuel injectors. They will make significantly more noise when it is cold but it is totally normal.

Now that the weather is getting colder my injectors tick loudly for about 10 seconds then return to normal light ticking.

You might try a mechanic's stethoscope on the injectors to pinpoint the source...
'80 Honda CBX in-line 24 valve 6 cylinder
Old 11-07-2002, 11:38 AM
Ticallion

Hehe ... my first guess was the injectors because it sounded like it was coming RIGHT from that area.
Now that you mention it, i am certain they're the culprit. WHat can i do to quiet them down?
-Ross
Old 11-07-2002, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ticallion
Hehe ... my first guess was the injectors because it sounded like it was coming RIGHT from that area.
Now that you mention it, i am certain they're the culprit. WHat can i do to quiet them down?
-Ross
Ear plugs and turn the stereo up!
'80 Honda CBX in-line 24 valve 6 cylinder