Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 10-12-2002, 07:59 PM
aubrey taylor

Post New UK member seeking some help

Hi Guys,

Just came across your site/forum the other day whilst searching for a problem on my transmission, didn’t know it existed even though I’ve had 2 SVX’s since 1992, what a great site!

Got some really useful feedback from the technical question I posted and I was wondering if any of you guys has access to a set of 1996 model manuals or a spare TCU I could use to test on my car (suggestion from Aredubjay which fixed his similar problem), once I find out where the TCU is and what it looks like.

I’m not into transmission surgery myself but a friend of a friend just happens to be a Ford UK Transmission Trouble-Shooter and fancies getting his hands dirty to sort out my problem as long as I can get hold of wiring diagrams and transmission documentation etc.

I’m based in Manchester and I drive a 1996 Silver UK spec SVX.

Cheers,
Aubrey.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:08 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
E Manual

Hi Aubrey,

First and foremost, a very warm welcome to the club!. Glad you found us, this IS the most comprehensive site on the SVX, although a few of the guys are running other great sites too.

I don't know anybody with a spare TCU, but someone may have one.

Phil and Belha have had the most transmission rectifying experience, and Phil has manuals. Go to Members[button above] search for B3hla and send him an email or a PM[Private Message].

He will help if possible. I have '92 US manuals myself, but I live in Ireland do not have a '96 upgrade. There is a diagnosis routine which will indicate if you have a tranny problem. Again, if you email or PM Aredubjay or Larry 111, either will steer you to where this can be found.

Also, you can get a lot of information by looking at other sites, there are many listed above under "links". A particularly informative one is that of Jamsvx. James, a fellow countryman of mine in Australia, will also facilitate you if you want to buy a set of Aussie RHD manuals. I got mine from the States, and aside from the LHD problem, there are more serious model differences. The 4wd transmission is different in RHD and Euro markets to what the US gets. Ours is closer to the full-house Japanese model.

For that reason, I am going to get a set of RHD manuals from Australia myself.

Let us know what the symptoms of your problem might be, someone here may have diagnosed and fixed it already.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-14-2002, 08:50 AM

Trans-mania !!

Hey Aubrey

Good to hear from you. Haven't got into transmission stuff yet, but we've just had that noisy rear wheel bearing done and that makes a difference to the car !! Got your's done yet Joe ??

If you do need a transmission overhaul I spoke to a guy in Newark, (that's Newark Notts, not Newark NJ) when discussing fixing the auto in my mother-in-law's in a Micra. Anyway, he said there would be no problems in fixing up the trans in the SVX, shouldn't cost a fortune depending on how bad it is, circa £400-700. Had a long chat with him about it.

Anyway, hope you get some success with the APU. Keep smiling !!

Phil.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Phil,

There's also a Newark, Delaware here in the colonies.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 10-14-2002, 01:43 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Trans-mania !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Hill
Hey Aubrey

Good to hear from you. Haven't got into transmission stuff yet, but we've just had that noisy rear wheel bearing done and that makes a difference to the car !! Got your's done yet Joe ??

Phil.
Hi Phil,

YESSS!!
My rear growl got so bad, I had to turn the radio off, and open the windows to let the noise out!!

It was just like Days of Thunder, but without a laconic mechanic in sight[or even in earshot].

The IBP is now so quiet I have to check the rev counter, see is it running.

My discs had a little shudder at motorway speeds under brakes, so while the service was being done, I got the guy to fit a spare set I bought from the crashed one. He conscientiously would not put them on without skimming, and got a firm to do it.

BAD MISTAKE.

She now judders so much under brakes, I'm beginning to think she likes me a lot. I am going to take the car to a firm of Subie nuts who can shave the discs ON the car. Our US pals say this is the only method, yer only man.

Progress of a sort, though costly [E1100]. Next stage is redoing the tranny, I am hoping to achieve that for approx the amount you mention.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-15-2002, 07:44 AM
aubrey taylor

Hi Phil,

Joe suggested that you might have a set of RHD manuals so I was wondering if it would be possible to get hold of a photocopy or a scanned image of a wiring diagram for the solenoids and how to replace the solenoid C and the TCU.

I don't think it's a TCU problem due to the fault not always being on, suspicious of it being a broken wire maybe but just in case a pointer to where the TCU is located would be useful.

Luckily my mate used to run a Mazda dealership and he just happens to know a Ford UK Transmission Trouble-Shooter who says he'd like to have a crack at diagnosing and fixing my problem for a reasonable cost or possibly a decent bottle of Jameson.

Cheers.

General question for you guys, as I only have 1 SVX.

Could one of you do me a favour and checkout something for me re the Diff-Lock fuse for a RHD SVX.

1. When you switch on the ignition before starting her up do you see the Diff-Lock warning light come on? (I could have sworn it used to light up when the ignition was switched on before my transmission problem started but I can't remember)

2. If you put the fuse in for the Diff-Lock do you see the Diff-Lock warning light come on when you switch on the ignition, as mine doesn't (don't know if this points to an electrical wiring problem or not)

Aubrey.

P.S.
Had a rear one done (so to speak) about 18 months ago when a brick fell off a lorry on a motorway and blew out a tyre, it don't half make a terrible winning noise when the bearing goes, had to turn the CD up to near enough full volume until I got it fixed.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:28 PM

Mistaken Identity

Sorry Aubrey, wrong Phil !!

You want Phil & Bella, Check out "B3HLA" in the member list, he's your man. I'm away from home at the moment, but hopefully back at the weekend so I'll check out the diff lock lamp stuff then if no-one else posts.

From my discussions with the transmission man he said the Nissan 200sx used a different (yeah ok....) version of the 4EAT, so most of the internals excluding the transfer gear assembly are the same or very similar. He said it was a pitty the drum assembly from the Nissan 300 wouldn't fit as they are much better able to handle the power. Nevermind eh ??

Phil.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:56 AM
Phil & Belha

Thumbs up The right Phil

Hi Aubrey,

I've sent you a PM regarding scanning the manuals.

As for the Diff Lock light, it only comes on when the fuse is inserted and the ignition is on. Even without the light, you can tell when it is active because the transmission binds up when you try to turn a tight corner, usually a wheel breaks traction.

If you've ever driven an old-model Justy with the switchable 4WD, it's exactly like that.

Phil & BELHA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: