SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet

Old 04-22-2013, 06:25 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Chris Townsend "Spirit of Competition Award"

The folks that attended Reading 14 on April 20, 2013 were witness to a new tradition that will hopefully continue for a long time. The "Chris Townsend Spirit of Competition Award" was conceived by an anonymous donor, who then asked us to present it at Reading. Unfortunately Chris wasn't able to attend Reading this year, but we did have him on speakerphone during the presentation, the award was a surprise to him and also this years recipient.

It is an ongoing award, where the recipient has the honor of displaying the plaque for a year, until next Reading where he/she will then be asked to pick the next recipient and have their name added to the award. Below is what I read at the award presentation.

Quote:
The Chris Townsend "Spirit of Competition" Award was conceived and donated to the network to recognize the contributions made to the SVX community by individual members in the area of motorsports competition. As many of you know the forum founder, Chris Townsend, has been very successful bracket racing throughout the years and his successes have encouraged other forum members to follow his path into the numerous forms of amateur auto racing. The annual recipient of this award, like Chris, has inspired, encouraged or otherwise influenced forum members to take their SVX to the track, or through their innovations, hard work and trial-by-error have helped to make the SVX a more competitive machine on the track.

The inaugural winner of this award is someone who throughout the years has consistently pushed himself and his SVX in both solo 2 and track day events. While being an innovator in using his SVX in these events he has brought his knowledge and infectious excitement for solo racing to the forum. His actions and quiet but steady encouragement have helped numerous members to take the plunge and try their hand at solo 2 racing. On the eve of the first Reading solo 2 event it only makes sense to recognize this gentleman for his inspiration and humble expertise he has shared with all of us. He seems to think he is getting slower as he gets older, we all know that his times tomorrow will show his signature should say "getting older and wiser". Harry Newman, although you claim to "live with fear", the forum community is so glad "she has allowed you to go racing". Would you please come up and receive the "Spirit of Competition" award.

Now by accepting this trophy Harry, you also agree to return here with the trophy for Reading 2014 complete with a new nameplate on it with your pick for the 2014 Spirit of Competition Award winner.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Re: Chris Townsend "Spirit of Competition Award"

Dave,
I will proudly display this plaque and take very good care of it. I am very appreciative of this award and still maintain I do not deserve it - but I'm not giving it back; at least for a year .....
Thanks so much to those involved with this. It is a grand tribute to Chris, and rightly so. I do hope I can live up to his example and the kind words you spoke Sat night at the presentation. I will certainly try to do so.
Again, thank you for the honor of this award and being the first to receive it - it means more to me than you can imagine. And yes, I truly am "older and slower" - not so sure about the wiser part either ....

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris

WOW! I am shocked, and without breath. I am glad it was just on speakerphone, cause I was very choked up about the privilege of this yearly award being named in my honor and accomplishments.

I would first like to congratulate Harry (newsvx) on being the first selected awardee. I too have watched his accomplishments throughout the years with great interest. I wish you GREAT luck and continued success in your endeavors.

Next, I would like to thank the anonymous people/persons that wanted to recognize my personal quest to compete with a car I am so passionate about in areas of motorsports where no one said I/we belonged. In 2000, they looked and laughed. In 2004, they scoffed and thought the SVX and what I was winning was beginners luck. By 2008, I had a name for myself and the SVX at the track, not only at my home strip, but in the whole NHRA division 6. Today, I have a couple classes of people that know me and the SVX really well. Many, are now friends and acquaintances that prefer to race with me, in front of me, or behind me, never next to me. A few haters, that are anti-import, anti-Subaru, or have taken personal losses to my SVX a bit hard. These groups are easily seen when driving into the gates with the SVX on the trailer behind me as you see their conversations take a down turn frown and note the best they will do tonight is 2nd.

I would also like to thank Dave (hocrest) for pulling me into this at the last minute while I was disappointed with my current inability to remove a simple hub nut from my truck preventing repair. Whomever wrote the words as the award was being presented to Harry, thanks. I am humbled and really speechless.

I am saddened by my temporary inability to continue my trek to the winners circle for this period, but I know deep in my heart that I will overcome this temporary condition and will come back in a year or two with a vengeance worthy of the SVX and the prestigious history it has had and will continue to forge.

Congratulations again Harry!
And thank you all, the SVX World Network community, for the naming honor of this yearly achievement. I am truly blessed by people that watch from afar.

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2

Last edited by Chris; 04-23-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Congratulations to both Chris and Harry. You both deserve these honors.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-23-2013, 06:11 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
WOW! I am shocked, and without breath. I am glad it was just on speakerphone, cause I was very choked up about the privilege of this yearly award being named in my honor and accomplishments.

I would first like to congratulate Harry (newsvx) on being the first selected awardee. I too have watched his accomplishments throughout the years with great interest. I wish you GREAT luck and continued success in your endeavors.

Next, I would like to thank the anonymous people/persons that wanted to recognize my personal quest to compete with a car I am so passionate about in areas of motorsports where no one said I/we belonged. In 2000, they looked and laughed. In 2004, they scoffed and thought the SVX and what I was winning was beginners luck. By 2008, I had a name for myself and the SVX at the track, not only at my home strip, but in the whole NHRA division 6. Today, I have a couple classes of people that know me and the SVX really well. Many, are now friends and acquaintances that prefer to race with me, in front of me, or behind me, never next to me. A few haters, that are anti-import, anti-Subaru, or have taken personal losses to my SVX a bit hard. These groups are easily seen when driving into the gates with the SVX on the trailer behind me as you see their conversations take a down turn frown and note the best they will do tonight is 2nd.

I would also like to thank Dave (hocrest) for pulling me into this at the last minute while I was disappointed with my current inability to remove a simple hub nut from my truck preventing repair. Whomever wrote the words as the award was being presented to Harry, thanks. I am humbled and really speechless.

I am saddened by my temporary inability to continue my trek to the winners circle for this period, but I know deep in my heart that I will overcome this temporary condition and will come back in a year or two with a vengeance worthy of the SVX and the prestigious history it has had and will continue to forge.

Congratulations again Harry!
And thank you all, the SVX World Network community, for the naming honor of this yearly achievement. I am truly blessed by people that watch from afar.
Well said, Chris, and thank you - you are much better at articulating how much this means to both (I think) of us re this award. Makes me so proud to be associated with such an amazing group of people. I have always said that this group is more about the people than the car. The SVX has just brought us together.
The best of the future to you Chris - it is an honor to have been presented an award representing all you have accomplished with this great automobile! God's speed!
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: