Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2013, 05:03 PM

Registered SVX
Re: SVX Rally Car - For Sale

Sorry Tony,

I missed your reply.

No real interest if I'm honest.

In terms of parts that are easy to sell, I'm not really sure. It's a strange market at the moment...not only for rally stuff, but also for SVX's.

I doubt any of it will be easy to sell.

M
Old 04-29-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt View Post
Sorry Tony,

I missed your reply.

No real interest if I'm honest.

In terms of parts that are easy to sell, I'm not really sure. It's a strange market at the moment...not only for rally stuff, but also for SVX's.

I doubt any of it will be easy to sell.

M
it might be if we can get together
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
96 emerald pearl SVX about to revive
Old 04-29-2013, 02:44 PM

Registered SVX

Yeah sorry mate.

Let me now when you want to come by.

I'm heading OS on Sunday for work.

Matt
Old 06-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Registered SVX

Hi, thanks this car is now sold.

Thanks Tony.

Matt
Old 06-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Thanks Matt for a great car.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Good to see it go to a good home, and not get broken up.
Did it include the good heads and throttle bodies?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:16 PM

Hi Harvey,
Yes it did and cams. Plus Matt had 3 engines in bits so it was a good for both of us. My kids hate me at the moment they think I need to go see a shrink.

What I want the car for is to develop it for track. Matt did a really good job with the foundation of the car, getting weight off, top quality roll cage and many other things.

You could say I am also a bit the same as you as I didn't want the car busted up. It will fit in well to prove motor development for the mid engine.

Bazza and I have had a few debates over the last 6 months because I say standard off the shelf the SVX would be the best handling of the Subaru's on track. Make this claim due to its longer wheel base. Any way I don't drive any other cars anyway.

Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Hi Harvey,
Yes it did and cams. Plus Matt had 3 engines in bits so it was a good for both of us. My kids hate me at the moment they think I need to go see a shrink.

What I want the car for is to develop it for track. Matt did a really good job with the foundation of the car, getting weight off, top quality roll cage and many other things.

You could say I am also a bit the same as you as I didn't want the car busted up. It will fit in well to prove motor development for the mid engine.

Bazza and I have had a few debates over the last 6 months because I say standard off the shelf the SVX would be the best handling of the Subaru's on track. Make this claim due to its longer wheel base. Any way I don't drive any other cars anyway.

Tony
I thought you might be thinking of using it for a track car. Build the engine up with the heads and throttle bodies, shorten the suspension travel and put Bazza in the seat, see how it goes.

Harvey.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 PM

Now Harvey,
I can't put Bazza in the jump I need to show him how us old blokes can drive.
Long story but I knew the guy killed in the SA targa last year and so to stay married I had to cut a deal,

NO STREET OR OPEN ROAD RACING

which I suppose is fair enough.
Tony
Old 06-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Now Harvey,
I can't put Bazza in the jump I need to show him how us old blokes can drive.
Long story but I knew the guy killed in the SA targa last year and so to stay married I had to cut a deal,

NO STREET OR OPEN ROAD RACING

which I suppose is fair enough.
Tony
Well I don't see "track racing" incluided in there.

Harvey.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Hi Harvey,

Tony
You prolly need to drive quite a few other Soobies to be able to make such a claim haha. I had the pleasure of driving a modified 3RB all last week (extractors, reflashed ecu, coilovers etc) and in a straight line it's a car length or two quicker than an SVX with a 6MT (we're heading to drags soon to get proper times) and it does quite well turning.

Here's the very interesting thing about it, it has a longer wheelbase and than the SVX. Based on what you're theory, the Liberty should be far better handling than the SVX and better than everything else Subaru. A few things about the 3RB, it is rather light, has a 6MT stock and a beautiful engine which is such a delight to drive - it pulls to 7500 rpm and the torque is very consistent and flat. I'd certainly have one in my garage.

The question is does it out handle to SVX? A stock SVX with an auto and viscous rear diff - the SVX would lose easily. An SVX with a 6MT and plated rear diff - very very close and we're going to the track to see who's quicker (4 of my mates have 3RB's ... so we're racing for sheep stations of course).

The next question is therefore - do the long wheel base cars compare to the shorter WRX STI stuff - not a chance. It's chalk and cheese, in the corners the STI's gobble both the SVX and 3RB up for breakfast but we expect this of course. So what's the issue with a longer wheelbase - understeer. The longer wheelbase cars (10 times worse with AWD) just don't want to turn in and the first thing you need to do in any corner is be able to turn into it. It's kinda why a dragster is long - provide straight line stability and limit it's turning.

Wheelbase:
SVX - 2610 mm
Liberty 3RB - 2670 mm

Last edited by bazza; 06-05-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post

The longer wheelbase cars (10 times worse with AWD) just don't want to turn in and the first thing you need to do in any corner is be able to turn into it. It's kinda why a dragster is long - provide straight line stability and limit it's turning.
Have no idea were this theory of longer wheel base cars are harder to turn comes from. If it had any degree of supporting truth then most of the fastest cars in the world would have wheel bases simlar to a WRX or STI. Other then the fact that clever guys like your self can modify them to bring in some impressive number I would have to say as a off the shelf fasts car the STI's don't make the grade any more. Subaru has let every one else get on top of them. Hell what major races has Subaru STI or WRX won in recent times.

It not important who is right in this issue so it does matter. Over the next couple of years we will find out what handles better.

Sorry Matt for hi jacking the thread.
Tony
Old 06-06-2013, 03:44 AM

Look at the wheel bases on these Lemans cars
http://www.europeanlemansseries.com/..._reglement.php
Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 AM

Thumbs down Re: SVX Rally Car - For Sale

Quote:
Have no idea were this theory of longer wheel base cars are harder to turn comes from.
It's not a theory - it's factual. The longer you go the harder to turn by basic physics. Same with ski's, snowboards etc etc etc.

Quote:
If it had any degree of supporting truth then most of the fastest cars in the world would have wheel bases simlar to a WRX or STI. Other then the fact that clever guys like your self can modify them to bring in some impressive number I would have to say as a off the shelf fasts car the STI's don't make the grade any more. Subaru has let every one else get on top of them. Hell what major races has Subaru STI or WRX won in recent times.
Tony you gotta stop hating the STI. It's runs rings about the SVX - that's how it is, drive one for a week without bias and hate and you'd agree - the newer they get the better they get. I've driven all without bias. Anyway I didn't say the STI was the best car in the world (as it's not), I compared SVX to 3RB to STI as you keep claiming nothing else compares to the 20 year old SVX which I think is rather incorrect.

STI was second at 24 hour in class at Nur the other week for interest sake.

Wheelbase ratio information - no point being long if you're not wide and not point being wide if you're not long enough:
Lambo: 1.59
Baz STI: 1.61
Zonda 1.64
11 Lotus 1.64
22B: 1.67
07 STI: 1.69
02 WRX / STI: 1.70 (WRC winner)
07 WRX: 1.70
GC8 WRX / STI: 1.72 (WRC winner)
SVX 1.75
RS Liberty: 1.77

There's not much point comparing a Le Man's car... when was the last time you saw one driving down the street haha. They're highly aero cars and the thing with aero is the longer they are they more stable they are - which is why F1's are longer these days are KNOWN for taking low speed corners (sub 160 kph) very poorly.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:57 PM

Hi Bazza,
Okay lets clear this up once and for all,
I accept that there are plenty on newer Subaru's that out handle the SVX which is 20 years old in design.
I don't hate WRX and STI, my issue was 10 to 20 years ago Subaru were kicking ass with there car technology now they don't.

If you read any race car chassie design book they make the point that the closer you go to square with wheel base to being same width and length the more likly the car is to spin. Car becomes unstable.

Your list of Wheelbases is different to the one you sent me 6 months back when you compared the SVX to the major ones like F1, Porsche etc. I tried to find it but couldn't.

Any way all that matter is everyone has a great time.

Tony

Last edited by Dessertrunner; 06-06-2013 at 02:36 PM.