IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet

Old 07-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up Re: Anyone given any thought to the next Reading Meet

Quote:
Ron Mummert gets excited if he wakes up in the morning and sees another day. I don't blame him.

Morning? I generally roll out around noon, just to be SURE I've logged in at least a half-a-day already! (retirement be veddy-veddy good to me).

I guess a few of us will have to agree that we dissagree on Reading and what it means and what the traditions are.

Lets move Reading to John's aunt's place. At least the food'll be cheap if we help with the dishes.

Ron (will work for wine).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by svxcess; 05-20-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Anyone given any thought to the next Reading Meet

Let me say this...
1. I am for keeping the meet in Morgantown, hopefully at the current Holiday Inn for obvious reasons-Keep in mind, Even without the group rate, you can go on hotels.com and get it for about $5 a night more after all the fees. (this has remained this way the last 2 years)
2. Tony, you completely went the wrong way about even trying to get a meet in upstate new york whether it be seperate or "this meet" moved. You end up just looking like an ass, no offense.
3. No offense Randy and Earl, I like you both, and this is probably going to upset you, but it's the truth. Don't go on saying about how you'll be at the very last Reading meet when you haven't been the past couple years. I know there are circumstances surrounding this, but facts are facts and I'm just stating them.
4. I have been probably the most critical of John over the past couple years. First off, I would like to thank him for keeping up with the contract for the hotel and the things involved. However, here are some things that are true, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, despite any reasoning or excuses behind it... The handling of the pace car at Reading 10 was not done properly. This turned away a lot of people. Changing the date for Reading 12 based on a poll in which most of the people who voted for the date selected, did not even attend and was a date that many long time members were not able to make, or were just able to pop in for a few hours. This also, turned many people away. The fact that people offered to help in years passed but were turned away, ignored, etc, ticked people off. The fact that it was posted for years that the 20th Anniversary meet was going to be planned and organized by the admins and help would be asked for if it were needed. Then, come time, blame gets put on the forum members for not volunteering or stepping up. This really bothers people the most.
I understand this is rehash, but in the midst of all this it really needs to all be said again.
Lastly, and this will affect Reading turnout as well as keeping this forum and community alive. Will someone do something about how users are being approved?! People are not getting activated for weeks, and often times months, so what do they do? They go to Jason's forum and never look back. Then nothing but spam from new member spambots gets posted. This is a huge detriment!

/end rant

I say these things to try and bring on change and improvement. Not to piss people off though harsh criticism has that effect most times. I know that John is very passionate and that is why he is upset about numbers being down the past couple years. I think it's safe to say that all of the people who have posted in this thread are pretty passionate about the future of this meet and the community. Let's stop the bickering, and move on with Improving the current meet in its current form.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Diana and I have been to every Reading since our first one in 2002,
(I think it was 2002)
My young sons have come to several,
(even if they stayed in their rooms and played video games)
We have gone drag racing! YAY!
Gone on cutsie searches for stuff,
went to dinners that we could not afford,
looked under hoods,
saw Bill's front sway bar, yes, Bill REALLY did exist back then,
heard "WINNABAGO!!!!!!!" for the first time,
watched Kelli beat up on The Green Marine!
Saw Ardubs Yellow SVX,
been serenaded by LarryIII, in the hall way,
as a group we got flashed by "The Girl on the First Floor!"
saw Jessie go BOOM,
the WRX Chick, something, something,
watched Mike 621's little brother get crushed by a giant run-away boulder,
hookah,
Someone (jessie) Riding The Elephant!
Awsum Brian,
followed by P*ssy is, well if you were there you know the rest!
The candy van,
an Asian taking pictures, Tim
YT doing his impression of The Tasmanian Devil in The Shadow Machine.
Changing ball joints at midnight in the sideways rain, drunk as pigs

The Pace Car,
Bigfoots motor home, hi Jay!
Met Earl,
was thrilled when Bart, YT, Ben all showed up long after they no longer had SVXi.
Hung out with Landshark, Cigar Johnny,
popped a few corks
and did not have to goto jail!
Yea, i'll be back to Reading,
unless I'm dead.
(Then I'll be late!)
BAA,HAA,HAA,snort!
Milk and vodka all over the keyboard, again!
See youse Guys at Reading.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I think the bickering could have been avoided. Instead of people being defensive, realize that suggestions are being made to try and help. There was no malice or manipulation intended. I was not trying to stir the pot in any way. And when it was obvious that people didn't want to move the meet far, I simply suggested that maybe there were other, closer, options that would still be a benefit. I understand that there is a lot of attachment to the staus quo that I maybe didn't fully appreciate. People need to understand that we are just trying to make suggestions to help. It is counter-productive to bite someone's head off when they are either trying to help or simply responding to a question/request. John asked for thoughts. We gave some. We got our heads bitten off. Forgive us for not appreciating the depth of the attachment. If caring and trying to help makes me risk looking like an ass, so be it. No one is perfect.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 07-23-2012, 03:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX

Like any family, the different members of our SVX family are "airing" their differences regarding the Reading Meet. As I see things, we shouldn't throw bricks at other members of our SVX family. We may miss who we are aiming at and (God forbid) hit an SVX.
There seems to be two distinct groups in our family. The first group seems to have much more disposable income than the second group. Those in the first group can go to more than one meet per year and dine more expensively (stainlees flatware as opposed to plastic).

However, I think we can compromise (unlike Congress). Early Reading SVX meets used to have a "happening" on the Saturday. We could have a Reading Meet (at Morgantown) on the same weekend as Carlisle and some of us can caravan up there on Saturday. Or, we can drive up to Hershey and visit its auto museum or drive by the Philly airport to the Simone Auto Museum. All of these trips will take approx. 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Morgantown, PA. Or we could visit the areas covered bridges (Reading III), or historic forges (Reading I).

All I am saying is that we should all work together to come up with workable plans for both those who want to just stay in Morgatown and 'schmoze' with old friends and those who want to do something on Saturday. I can volunteer to come up with and lead a covered bridge tour (better than the Reading III one) or lead a trip to the Simone Auto Museum. I do not know that much about Hershey or Carlisle so I ask someone else to take the lead for those. All we have to do is decide which one we want to do and then we can do it. The choice is yours.

PS: I haven't been to Watkins Glen since the US Grad Prixe
races were held there in Oct. Also, a fellow SVXer from south 'Joisey' also is in the Ferrari club (Ken, you know who you are) . That club does wine country tours in upper NY state in their Ferraris, in the late summer & early fall. We should organize a trip to that region around that time. I'm sure that SVXers could drink juust as much (bottled not boxed) wine as Ferrari people drink.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

I am with Nate 100% on what he said. The founders of this network did a wonderful thing but as people move and change priorities we need to adjust. That means, get someone on who can approve membership and some more active moderators? Not saying we don't have active ones but there are a few who are not around often.

Please allow others to help with the suggestions. The How to has great potential but unfortunately was formed at a time when uploading photos and text would take time and probably not great. Pass some responsibilities around ! It will improve the network. Again these are meant as suggestions.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 07-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Let me say this...
3. No offense Randy and Earl, I like you both, and this is probably going to upset you, but it's the truth. Don't go on saying about how you'll be at the very last Reading meet when you haven't been the past couple years. I know there are circumstances surrounding this, but facts are facts and I'm just stating them.

I say these things to try and bring on change and improvement. Not to piss people off though harsh criticism has that effect most times. I know that John is very passionate and that is why he is upset about numbers being down the past couple years. I think it's safe to say that all of the people who have posted in this thread are pretty passionate about the future of this meet and the community. Let's stop the bickering, and move on with Improving the current meet in its current form.
I'm not upset. But, remember, when EARL does attend, he goes to the trouble and expense to schedule vacation time and book a plane ticket and fly across the nation. It ain't like he can drive ten hours like I do. I'm not even going to dignify your pointing out that I haven't been to Reading for the past few years -- your need to even mention it to try to denigrate my opinion speaks volumes. Plus, after ten years without a miss (beginnig with Reading I), I'm due a break.

And, I'm not bickering. I'm just adding to my opinion. Take it, leave it, love it, hate it, ignore it....makes no never mind to me.

Now, y'all carry on rehashing the stuff that's been rehashed before and "change" for the "better." I'm done.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII View Post
PS: I haven't been to Watkins Glen since the US Grad Prixe
races were held there in Oct. Also, a fellow SVXer from south 'Joisey' also is in the Ferrari club (Ken, you know who you are) . That club does wine country tours in upper NY state in their Ferraris, in the late summer & early fall. We should organize a trip to that region around that time. I'm sure that SVXers could drink juust as much (bottled not boxed) wine as Ferrari people drink.
I don't recall discussing this but it is amazing that you saw formula 1 races at the glen! The Ferrari meet you are talking about is called Art of Ferrari. Being a Ferrari fan from when I was a toddler, it has been great to see these cars up close. Some day......

If there is an SVX/Ferrari owner coming up for this, let me know. If you haven't already hit every winery or been given a personal tour of the Museum of Glass, I will hook you up!

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Okay, I'm late to the party on this thread - some really interesting stuff being pontificated here.
It is always interesting to me that a few bad choices of words can set people off - in the wrong direction at that. I think Larry III had it down pretty well - a calm voice amidst the rage (on both sides of the issue).
HUSKY, I for one appreciate your trying to improve the READING situation, and I do appreciate too that you perhaps did not realize how passionate many are about READING. SVXFILES forgot ONE instance / happening: John poring Earl some more wine - INTO AN EMPTY BEER CAN! That was and is a great photo!
And Randy, that was the most excitement I have seen from you - ever! And it was cool (can I still use that word at my age? ). But that said, I loved you sticking up for READING! And I am with you - I'll be at READING each year - only medical events have kept me home over the years and I am sitting up taking nourishment this days.
BUT I have to say, enough of picking on John. He, like the rest of us is not perfect (but his engine compartment is close!), but he has taken the initiative to make READING happen for oh so many years! And he should be given credit for such. I think I know what the issue was with the Pace Car, etc, but I don't think many at all have any idea what it took for John to get the car there to start with and it was iffy up to the last minute. Imagine the outrage if it had been promoted and then Subaru decided to NOT come - a lot of pissed off people, I would imagine. My point here is that anyone organizing anything (especially a meet like this) will work their tail off to make it happen and most people will have no idea about what it takes to pull it off. And if someone wants to help and are put off, make an issue of it at the time. Like Larry III said, we are a family, and if we can not be upfront with each other, then we probably won't get a great deal done.
That's about all I have to say, except I have a RURITAN Club Car Show (the 5th Annual Show) coming up here in Stephens City, VA on AUG 4. Most years I have been one of perhaps three imports on display among good ole American iron (like a 1943 Lincoln Zeffer V-12 in mint condition), but I still get LOTS of curious folks around the car. Wouldn't it be cool to have 10 SVXi to show up! But we would NOT call it READING ....
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx View Post
I think I know what the issue was with the Pace Car, etc, but I don't think many at all have any idea what it took for John to get the car there to start with and it was iffy up to the last minute. Imagine the outrage if it had been promoted and then Subaru decided to NOT come - a lot of pissed off people, I would imagine.
And if it even looked like rain, they were not going to show up or the Pace Car would not leave the trailer. We lucked out!

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 07-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
As for John, carping about attendance --- those of you who know John, know that he can get... a little...let's say..."overpassionate." Have you seen his engine bay, for god's sake? John is John -- don't take it personally. He just wants Reading to live on...but, after talking to him on the phone (yes, we converse outside of Reading), he's okay with the DNR release. He's willing to bother nobody no more, if that's the way people want it. ~)
I can't continue to handle the hotel contracts and the myriad other details that are associated with it, and not be too close personally. In my heart I wanted it bigger and better that the year before and try to control the related signup list, Rooms Booked thread and Poll Dates. Not achieving a particular goal, while disappointing, is not an indication of failure on my part So I am relinquishing my involvement in this part of the meet.

I have talked to Dave Martin ("Hocrest"), and he is willing to take over the hotel accommodations contract and other stuff. I will give Jerry Bellistri (HI General Manager) a call to inform him that there will be a Reading in April, 2013. I will then tell him to expect a call from Dave, with my assurances of his competency to handle this. Once he is on-board with the Holiday Inn, his first order of business is to nail down a particular weekend, and the signup list of who will be there. Then the hotel can prepare its contract with an approximate block.

I'm sure Dave will approach his duties as eagerly, but with less anxiety and fear of losing control. But if any member still needs to be bothered by me for their mental health, just speak up and I will go my best to oblige.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 07-26-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:47 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
But if any member still needs to be bothered by me for their mental health, just speak up and I will go my best to oblige

Can you explain Gurlz to me?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-24-2012, 02:10 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
But if any member still needs to be bothered by me for their mental health, just speak up and I will go my best to oblige

John, I think it was stated many times how much we appreciated your work and effort for reading. Constructive criticism should always be welcomed.

Randy and others have made it very clear, they would rather keep reading at its grassroots and that is fine. We can clearly come to a middle ground while keep reading the way it is. I think we can all agree, getting more members involved and showing up isn't a bad thing.

Again Nate and I have both made suggestions that can better the community as a whole, I would love to hear some feedback on that as well.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: