SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up Ten years after.......

Exactly 10 years ago on this day (Jan. 20), 2001 I drove 25 miles in the snow to meet with the owner of one black '92 SVX whose FOR SALE ad was run in the Baltimore Sun classifieds. A few months earlier, I'd been reminded of this car by a couple of SVXen with FOR SALE signs parked in a local mall parking lot. By the time I called, they were sold. "Must be in demand!" I muttered to myself.

Why did I zero in on this car with goofy windows? Ten years prior I remembered my trip to an auto show, & saw this beast, a pearlie, displayed on a revolving platter. I figgered it was a concept car. Surprise! T'was a Subaru, a mud car; & it cost over 30 grand!!! I quickly forgot this image, & trotted over to the Honda booth.

I gave no thought to these cars again for many years. Then, somewhere in the late 90s I spotted another pearlie parked at a supermarket. I remember eyeballing it, & saying, "Hmmmm...I wonder what these things are going for now?". "Holy crap - is that suede I see plastered all over the place!?" "Cool!"
(Hook was set).

Over the months following I saw more of these cars, & even flagged a few down to talk to the owners. Consensus - "I love this car" (Beware of tranny).

I got on the Yahoo club site. Insanity abounds in here. (Beware of tranny, bearings, & rotors).

Nonetheless, my addiction to suede, & funny windows overcame any concerns of catastrophic mechanical failure. AND....it'll go over 150mph!!!!!!!
(Hook firmly set).

So back to January 20, 2001 at Mickey Dee's in the snow, where I offered $6,800 CASH (owner wanted $7,200) for the batmobile.I'd be the third owner. It had 68K on the clock, a perfect interior, a few minor scratches, & everything worked. ME - "I don't want to insult you with my offer, but the tranny's likely to grenade on the way home". OWNER - " I had the tranny replaced 6 months ago with a factory rebuilt one"
(shows paperwork). ME - "But bearings & rotors, & blah, blah, blah".
OWNER - "Cash today, ya' say?"...............SOLD.

So we drove back to my place for the official transaction. Tranny remained intact. In fact, it's still there doin' its thing 80K later.

There was another reason I bought the car when I did. Two months prior to the purchase, my wife of 30 years succumbed to cancer. While this outcome was not unexpected, I found myself in a depressed funk, especially so, given the holiday season was in full bloom. I needed a diversion for my grief.
The SVX took my mind out of the doldrums. See....it's more to me than just a "car".

I got to thinking - 10 years earlier this thing was spinning around on a platter with strobe lights & mirrors trained on it. Now it's sitting in my unkempt garage. I just stared at it. Day-umm. It's mine!.

The first thing I did to the beast was add a tranny cooler. It was my daily driver, & being in outside sales, it was driven a lot. In April 2001 I joined the Network. I took it to the Oak Ridge TN meet where I was a total noob, but met up with a lot the nuts who seemed to share my passion for suede (I mean Escaine). Randy, Matt, Huck, Don, Bill (anyone remember Bill Moore?), & others who may still be around. John H. & Larry III - were you there? The highlight of the Oak Ridge show was the SVX Spam sculpture. I then drove to Houston, TX to visit long lost reletives, then back to Baltimore.

More meets at Canaan Valley, WV, & Reading (Number 2, I think), plus every Reading meet since. Got a $2,800 paint job, & 2 days later took it to Anniversary X in Lafayette for the Indiana Sweat Fest, (Yeah, but it's a DRY heat), then headed north through Michigan, into Canada, eh?, took the ferry across Georgian Bay (Lake Huron), up through Toronto to upstate NY, & back down through the Finger Lakes, & New England. Also did the Dragon (Gawd, when was that?) Throw a couple of auto-crosses into this mix.

The point of this travelogue is that I racked up over 70K miles, both bidness, pleasure & mild abuse over a sixish year span 'til it became a garage queen four years ago (Thank you 240SX). At 102K I did the pre-emptive thing with belts, hoses, cam seals, plugs, water pump, tranny flush, & one bearing to the tune of 18 hunnert bucks. Since then, just one more bearing, a used MAF, front rotors, a CV boot, & a set of plugs that I probably didn't need. I didn't count brakes, tires & batteries, but nothing was out of the ordinary in this department. Yeah, the Great Altantic Jersey Shore Near Drowning Incident set me back over a grand for a wiring harness, but we can't blame the car for this one.

So now the ebony beast shares a carport with an '01 Miata, my latest guilty pleasure. It's 50 miles shy of 150K, & still runs 100%. It leaks oil, but I find adding more oil solves this problem. I try to exercise it once a week. It still loves the twisties here in the Blue Ridge.

Bottom line - With all the bad press these machines seem to get, & I realize "good" news doesn't sell papers, I've found that the SVX is as reliable as any other set of wheels out there, as long as they're properly maintained, & not thrashed to death. The car NEVER left me stranded in my decade of ownership. I'm convinced, despite the naysaying crowd in here, that in 10 more years, it'll be worth the original price of 30K. OK - maybe the 6.8K I paid for her. OK - in 10 years a loaf of bread will cost 20 bucks.

It's nice to dream, ain't it.

Ron.

PS - See related thread - "Who's driving with original parts?"

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 PM

Re: Ten years after.......

That's a great story. Here's to the next ten years in an SVX.

I've put over 55,000 miles on one and 25,000 on the other. The only thing that has stranded me was a dead battery. Alas, both are getting to the point where I'm going to have to make a major cash outlay to keep them happily roadworthy. Meanwhile, a friend is offering me his '05 Outback for a song, which would be a sensible buy for me, but then one—or both—of the old girls would have to go. I'm agonizing over this.

dcb
Old 01-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert View Post
In April 2001 I joined the Network. I took it to the Oak Ridge TN meet where I was a total noob, but met up with a lot the nuts who seemed to share my passion for suede (I mean Escaine). Randy, Matt, Huck, Don, Bill (anyone remember Bill Moore?), & others who may still be around. John H. & Larry III - were you there? The highlight of the Oak Ridge show was the SVX Spam sculpture.
I remember it well! I sometimes wonder whatever happened to Bill.

92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

OK, where's the picture of the spam sculpture??

Just a brief comment, drug up from my murky memory, as my SVX "first", by your recollection of yours. I remember being at the local dealership with my recently purchased Legacy LS Wagon for service. I spotted a crowd out front, and the sweetest SOUND I had heard in some time prompted me to investigate. About the time I arrived at the round-a-bout pedestal at the center of the mall a crew of Porsche Techs arrived from the other direction. At the center of the gathering was the dealership's newly arrived Claret, the 1st. All I could see were and the Subie guys wearing BIG

I would also venture this, and know it's dangerous to say so, but mine isn't within earshot. After putting 60,000 miles on my two SVXi, I have yet to be stranded by breakdown (knocking wood).

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket

Last edited by RojoRocket; 01-21-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Behold, the SpamVX:

2001 Audi S8
Old 01-21-2011, 05:16 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
I remember it well! I sometimes wonder whatever happened to Bill.

I remember this meet well Ron, it was the only meet my Pearlie went to as an automatic!

Loved reading about your SVX history!
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

And I remember this was the meet that Huck announced his plans to do a 5spd. I admired his courage and hoped he could do it. And not long after, Huck had the first 5 spd!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

That's a great story Ron, and superbly told.

It reminds me that my adventures in SVX territory have not been all about the qualities of the SVX coupe, which are indeed special and worthy. What keeps me part of the fold is the quality of the people I have "met" online and offline.

And you, Sir, are a prime example of that quality.

I wish you many more years enjoyment of your SVX. And that you will continue to entertain us as you enjoy it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-25-2011, 03:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX

Ron,

The Naviguesser & I were not at the Tenn. SVX Meet.
However, The heat in Lafayette, Ind. was not really dry. I sweated enough to raise the relative 'humordidy' to 98.6%

I think with the right care and maintainance the SVX should last a very long time, just like any sports touring coupe.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Exclamation Re: Ten years after.......

That's a great story Ron, and superbly told.

It reminds me that my adventures in SVX territory have not been all about the qualities of the SVX coupe, which are indeed special and worthy. What keeps me part of the fold is the quality of the people I have "met" online and offline.

And you, Sir, are a prime example of that quality.

I wish you many more years enjoyment of your SVX. And that you will continue to entertain us as you enjoy it.

Joe

Thank ya', Joe.

I forgot to mention all the great folks I've met along the 10 year trail who've help me keep the beast alive, & who've helped alter my life & interests in positive ways. One never knows what answering a classified ad will lead to.
I hope some day to meet with you, & some other "foreigners" out there.

Keep the shiny side up!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Well, if this blasted depression would ever lift its shoulders and pull hard on the bootstraps, I'd sure like a trip Stateside, and meeting a few of my old pals would be the cream on the cake.

We are youngsters Ron. We can wait till the time is right. I look forward to it.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-25-2011, 05:05 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I've read a lot of good things on this forum but that story has got to be the best yet Ron. Well told indeed.

P.S. I like spam spam spam spam spamdy spam wonderful spamdy spam!