IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: octane in my svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
To a certain degeree. This is just speculation, but the injectors can only open and close so quickly. There is a point where they would not help but run rich. (that could possibly be a very extreme situation, though)
Yes I can see you are just speculating.

Yes the injectors take about 1.2 mil sec to open and about 2 mil sec to close. This is only affected by operating voltage and fuel pressure.
No they won't get to " a point where they would not help but run rich". They have no trouble opening and closing to inject the small amount of fuel at idle.

The system of a MAF sensor reading the mass amount of air, compensates for air pressure, temp, and humidity.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
actually i couldn't disagree more.

while i don't appreciate what it does when mixed with for pump gas, E85 at a pump has huge benefits for making little engine's make gobs of power.

sorry, i just don't believe e85 is the worst thing ever when use appropriately.
Actually the comment from me was about reality... the %age in the pump that effects all of us in our daily lives.

If the government ever forces the manufactures to resort to making engines that would do good with this, the fuel would cost $30.00 a gallon. It may cost us that much now counting our tax money that subsides it and the increased cost of the veggies we have to buy for food.

Keith
Old 01-15-2011, 03:39 PM

I have no problem using Regular in the winter. But when it's warmer out and I use it, my engine runs rough, surges and drops power, and occasionally even quietly stalls.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:12 AM

Gospel truth from one feeble mind: Higher-than-spec octane in a stock engine, as obtained from 93 octane premium-grade fuel, "boosters" or racing fuel, and solvents such as toluene, xylene, acetone, methanol, whatever, offer no practical motoring benefit. None.

It's pretty simple: Run the cheapest, lowest octane fuel that doesn't obviously impede your car's overall performance and economy.

dcb
Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
actually i couldn't disagree more.

while i don't appreciate what it does when mixed with for pump gas, E85 at a pump has huge benefits for making little engine's make gobs of power.

in my town, all the guys with the fastest turbo imports are all corn fed. race fuel octane levels and prices cheaper than gas is pretty sweet, only down side for most of those cars is they are not so good for road tripping across the country any more and obviously they get pretty lousy mpg, but for what they use em for there really isn't a better fuel around.

honestly, if a manufacture built an engine to run purely on ethanol (not this BS idea of flex fuel) those would probably some of the most impressive motors on the market, stuff like 1.3 liter I4s, turbo, direct injection... could still = 200+hp and over 30+ mpg

sorry, i just don't believe e85 is the worst thing ever when use appropriately.
What compression ratio are they running..How much boost is the turbo running..what valve timing are their hot cams doing? Like comparing apples to donuts, hotrod turbos to standard spec passenger cars. straight gasoline(no crappy ethenal) is a good bet for lots of BTUs' from most engines.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 AM

I use to SP95 RON for my SVX (91 AKI in the United States).

Last edited by Pierre-Olivier; 01-17-2011 at 09:29 AM.