SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2002, 08:21 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

You're talking about "driveline backlash" if I understand, correctly. Some of that is "normal" to a degree, but shouldn't be TOO harsh. Do you experience a "clunk" when backing up? If so, you may have a bad tranny mount. Also, backlash could be caused by weak motor mounts.
YES! But to be most specific, sometimes there's big backlash, and sometimes there's not.

When backing up, the first time, it engages quickly and silently. However, if I go to neutral, and then BACK to reverse, I get a metal bang, like the tranny hit the frame of the car.

Also, at 30 MPH, if I slam the gas, the car downshifts to 1st smoothly, and a huge rush of power comes, but it almost feels like a rubber band snaps back, like rush-throw forward, rush.

Almost the same happens when coming to a full stop. I push the brake, and hold it until I stop. Then when the car comes to the stop, in Drive or Neutral (I tried both), the car pulls back and forth a few times, unlike my moms A6, which stops while you get pushed forward, and then, when stopped, you just settle in your seat. The SVX moves me in the seat a few times after the full stop before i'm still in my seat.

I'm sorry about the awkward wording. These things are difficult to explain.

In any case, any ideas? Any thoughts on costs?
Old 08-20-2002, 08:18 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX

YES! But to be most specific, sometimes there's big backlash, and sometimes there's not.

When backing up, the first time, it engages quickly and silently. However, if I go to neutral, and then BACK to reverse, I get a metal bang, like the tranny hit the frame of the car.

Also, at 30 MPH, if I slam the gas, the car downshifts to 1st smoothly, and a huge rush of power comes, but it almost feels like a rubber band snaps back, like rush-throw forward, rush.

Almost the same happens when coming to a full stop. I push the brake, and hold it until I stop. Then when the car comes to the stop, in Drive or Neutral (I tried both), the car pulls back and forth a few times, unlike my moms A6, which stops while you get pushed forward, and then, when stopped, you just settle in your seat. The SVX moves me in the seat a few times after the full stop before i'm still in my seat.

I'm sorry about the awkward wording. These things are difficult to explain.

In any case, any ideas? Any thoughts on costs?
Like I said, the first thing I'd have looked at would be the tranny and motor mounts. I can't remember what the mounts cost (seems like somewhere around 85 bucks apiece for the tranny mounts, plus labor, of course.). Take it to your dealer, and just pay diagnostic rate to have it checked out. Then, either take it to a trusted independent garage that's less expensive, or save your pennies. Have them do a diagnostic and estimate.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-20-2002, 04:37 PM
CopsodyX

Thanks!

BTW, I went to Subaru today, and showed them this thread. They said you all are lying about the gas mileage, they said 15 is the best i'll get on the highway. I told them that that's BS, and I know it...

Their suggestions went as followed:

- My PCV valve was replaced by the tune up.

- My throttle body may be dirty, but they've never cleaned one on an SVX, and it's unnecessary. Cost: $30.

- My car never got the updated ROM in the ECU. This could cause hesitation (have) and poor drivability (if this means gas mileage, have). $200 for the chip, plus $76 for labor.

So, the first two are okay. What are your thoughts on the last one? Do you think I can get Subaru to pay for it? I mean, it was supposed to be done, right?
Old 08-20-2002, 09:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks!

BTW, I went to Subaru today, and showed them this thread. They said you all are lying about the gas mileage, they said 15 is the best i'll get on the highway. I told them that that's BS, and I know it...

Their suggestions went as followed:

- My PCV valve was replaced by the tune up.

- My throttle body may be dirty, but they've never cleaned one on an SVX, and it's unnecessary. Cost: $30.

- My car never got the updated ROM in the ECU. This could cause hesitation (have) and poor drivability (if this means gas mileage, have). $200 for the chip, plus $76 for labor.

So, the first two are okay. What are your thoughts on the last one? Do you think I can get Subaru to pay for it? I mean, it was supposed to be done, right?
The PROM was a TSB, not a recall. It would only have been replaced IF, during warranty, you complained of hesitation. Since nobody complained under warranty, it may not have been installed. Did the Suby tech check the "Star System" to see IF the prom had been installed under warranty? Good lord, do WE have to tell them everything?

"Unnecessary?" That's the first time I've heard that in connection with a throttle body cleaning for ANY car.

I'm guessing you need to find another shop.

As for gas mileage, I figured my gas mileage on my "new" SVX today at 23 MPG mixed. My original gets 21 MPG mixed. If there is anyone lieing . . . well, let's just say it ain't me.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-20-2002, 10:06 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

The PROM was a TSB, not a recall. It would only have been replaced IF, during warranty, you complained of hesitation. Since nobody complained under warranty, it may not have been installed. Did the Suby tech check the "Star System" to see IF the prom had been installed under warranty? Good lord, do WE have to tell them everything?

"Unnecessary?" That's the first time I've heard that in connection with a throttle body cleaning for ANY car.

I'm guessing you need to find another shop.

As for gas mileage, I figured my gas mileage on my "new" SVX today at 23 MPG mixed. My original gets 21 MPG mixed. If there is anyone lieing . . . well, let's just say it ain't me.
lol...can you believe them?!? So far, THREE Subaru dealerships that don't know WTF they're talking about. I'm gonna try all your suggestions, and get back to you. Thanks again!
Old 08-20-2002, 10:36 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Quote:

lol...can you believe them?!? So far, THREE Subaru dealerships that don't know WTF they're talking about. I'm gonna try all your suggestions, and get back to you. Thanks again!

You're beginning to make Heritage Subaru look good. Again, I can't account for your experiences, but if anyone at a dealer said 15 mpg is normal, I'd say they really want you to leave, because they're clueless. Keep on truckin'

Ron

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:12 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

BTW, throttle body cleaning is an easy DIY project. Cost: a coupl-a bucks for the TB cleaner. I've typed up a How To. Do a search on Throttle Body, and it's bound to pop up.
Subaru Ambassador