Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 AM

Glass roof Myth?

I have read here somewhere that there is a glass sunroof out of a later subi that fits the SVX? Fact or Fiction??? i will take advice from anyone who has done it.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Glass roof Myth?

supposedly the early model legacy's if not get a custom cut piece.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:28 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
supposedly the early model legacy's if not get a custom cut piece.
I dont know about that but of what some of the sunroofs ive seen of imprezas or legacys they look so similar size. I never had a chance to measure one to see if it would fit.
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 02-03-2010, 02:52 AM
Mr Soob

Early model legacy/liberty seem to have a flat sunroof?

If this is the case, even if the dimensions fit, the glass would look a bit out of place.

I've already considered trying to get a custom peice made up of tinted glass, but I've got too much on my plate at this time to go messing around with it. I might do in the near future, though.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 02-03-2010, 07:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
Fact

As I'm sure, you aquired this 'myth' information from my post. As I also stated in that post, the car came to Reading V. I saw it first hand, inquired about it first hand, talked to the owner first hand. I *touched* it. It exists. I am still attempting to find that person.

The Glass GC8 (2.5RS 1st Generation) moonroof from the non NADM vehicles is a directly bolt-in replacement for our roof. It is not flat, but contours to the roof.
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
As I'm sure, you aquired this 'myth' information from my post. As I also stated in that post, the car came to Reading V. I saw it first hand, inquired about it first hand, talked to the owner first hand. I *touched* it. It exists. I am still attempting to find that person.

The Glass GC8 (2.5RS 1st Generation) moonroof from the non NADM vehicles is a directly bolt-in replacement for our roof. It is not flat, but contours to the roof.
Now that is a nice addition to our cars...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post

So has anyone found a source for them yet?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:09 AM

Maybe we could have some of our australian, japanese, and european SVX brethren check with Subaru dealers, and salvage yards for some parts...

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

We need to know exactly the difference between ours and the glass kit. Maybe that would help in terms of parts needed (obviously other than the glass itself).

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:45 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

If you want, I have a sunroof that's been taken out of a car that can be used for comparison. There's honestly not a lot to it. If it's the right dimensions, then it should fit. There is a frame that the moving part mounts to, that would probably also need to be swapped.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff View Post

If this is the case, even if the dimensions fit, the glass would look a bit out of place.

I've already considered trying to get a custom peice made up of tinted glass, but I've got too much on my plate at this time to go messing around with it. I might do in the near future, though.
This is aftermarket--does it look out of place?

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glasssunroof1[1].JPG (36.1 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg Gllasssunroof6[1].JPG (241.4 KB, 309 views)
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 02-04-2010, 03:58 AM
Mr Soob

That seriously looks good. I'd have hesitated to put in a flat peice, but that indeed has blown away my reservations.

The cost to get the "slight curve" in the custom peice was ridiculous when I got quotes a few years ago, hence why I haven't gone for it.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 AM

There has been alot of interest in a glass roof. I am curious why no one has actually just gone and gotten the aforementioned piece. I wouldnt think it would be difficult to locate in foreign markets.... heck, ebay is a good source of foreign junk cars. If they are selling parts off a parts car, just call the international and ask for the moonroof.

Me personally... I don't think I want one. Unless I was to tint it really dark... which ALMOST defeats the purpose...And you lose the nice all grey ceiling...I like how the original tries to mask its presence when its shut, by being regular headliner.

James
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Doesn't it come with an undercover?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:27 AM

not to my knowledge. AKA: I did not see one during my viewing of it on the SVX.