How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2002, 10:08 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I No Longer Have An SVX

I have TWO SVXes!!!

Flew into LaGuardia Saturday. Peter Chung picked me up in the SVX at the airport. He was an absolute joy to meet. We spent some time talking about the car, but spent a lot of time just talking, also. We had a great conversation about family and various topics, over Caribbean food (I had the Curry Goat )

Without going into to much detail, it was a long drive back (took a couple of hours to get over the GW Bridge). Tried to stop outside Columbus, OH and there wasn't a Motel room to be had within a 30 mile radius of that city. Had to catnap at rest stops. Left the city around 4 PM Eastern time, finally arrived home at 11:30 Central time this morning.

I'm really digging on the sound of the exhaust despite my "stock" needs and I love the ride of the Konis. The evil twin is cool. Got between 27/28 miles per gallon.

We now join the "Immotralsuby's" in having his/her matching SVXes.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-04-2002, 10:18 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Reads with jealousy...

(That would've been MY car, if you weren't on the board so much... )

Glad you made it home safely.

VK
Old 08-04-2002, 10:24 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Glad you made the trip safely. So are you going to try for three, like Larry?
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:25 AM
Boone

Thumbs up

Tell us more.. B.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:20 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Two to go...hold the onions

<We had a great conversation about family and various topics, over Caribbean food (I had the Curry Goat )>

Randy,
I'm glad you made it to the restaurant on time.

It would have been awful if someone had gotten your goat.

It must be nice to have two that run. I started mine yesterday and let it run for awhile so it wouldn't forget that it was a car and not a bird roost....Since my basement filled with sewage last week, from a backed up line, from an old collapsed tank down the hill, requiring a new tank and drain field.....SuperRu will be on the inactive list for awhile longer. Don

Last edited by SVXphile; 08-05-2002 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2002, 04:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxter
Glad you made the trip safely. So are you going to try for three, like Larry?
Bill,

Why stop at triplets, why not quintupilets ?

LarryIII
Old 08-05-2002, 04:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Randy,

Congratulations on your "bad boy". I'm glad you made it home safely. The Brooklyn SVX Club guys wanted to meet up with youse whilst youse was in Da City. Unfortunately thay had some pressing business matters that needed their attention (damn Feds). I hope that you bring 'Bad Boy' to Reading.

Larry III
PS: The Naviguesser wants me to remind you that Shari wants some new pairs of shoes and not to forget her jewelery needs.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:07 AM
Lowered SVX

randy.......

whose SVX did you buy? is it lowered? stock boy has gone to Mod boy????

you must post explicit detailed info. about this car.....damn sandbagger!!!
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-05-2002, 01:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Reads with jealousy...

(That would've been MY car, if you weren't on the board so much... )

Glad you made it home safely.

VK
Victor,
If it'll make you feel better, there was someone in Jersey offering Peter more money. Luckily, Peter was an honorable man and gave first contact right of first refusal at the quoted price -- so . . . the rest is history.

Peter is the proud owner of a new Silver WRX, although he says he will miss the "extras" that the SVX had to offer, I'm sure it won't take him long to get used to it.

The trip wasn't without incident. I drove through New York, New Jersey, PA, OH, into Kentucky, then, into Indiana. Almost immediately after I crossed the Indiana line, I was pulled over by a State Trooper. "No Problem" I thought. I had contacted the Kentucky DMV and they told me that if I got stopped, just show my paperwork and all would be Okay. Not so, said the ISP trooper. "You HAVE to have plates on it." He cited for driving a non-registered vehicle (even though KY will not register a car without visual inspection and they can't visually inspect it until you get it there and who wants to pay for trailering a perfectly driveable vehicle . . . oh, never mind) which carries an 89.00 fine. I was not happy, since I had been operating in good faith, on what I considered reliable information from my "home DMV." I will protest the charge.

One small quirk with the car. It has the "intermittent starting problem" which is similar to the little quirk that is caused by loose "knock off bolts" in the ignition switch assy. Funny thing, my current SVX developed the same problem this morning -- it had never done that before. I thought I had gotten in the wrong vehicle! Could it be a virus?

With the two SVXes, we may now make Reading (at least) a "family affair" with my wife and daughter in "Patience" and my son and I coming up in the "Evil Twin." Could be fun!!!

I will still need to correct the cosmetic flaws at one time or another since they will begin to grate on me, after a while. But, for now, I'm enjoying the "machismo" of the dents and dings along with the aggressive sounding exhaust.

Oh, one more MAJOR thing. The gas guage is not accurate (this is driving me to distraction). I will register full after the tank has been filled. Once the level hits . . . say . . . the top slash of the slashes, it drops like a stone -- zero signal. THEN, when it hits just over half a tank, it kicks in again. But, when it gets to the "half tank" slash, BAM -- dead again . . . until, it hits a quarter tank. It then, ressurects until just below a quarter and dies again. THIS IS NUTS!!! I'd love any suggestions on how to correct this problem (easily and ASAP). I hate having to depend on resetting the trip meter at every fuel stop.

I sat on my porch last night, confused to see the two pearlies, side by side. Waffling between, "what the hell have I done?" and "this is really cool." The taint of the ticket has taken a little bit of the edge off the joy of it all, but, once I get settled into the evil twin and the wife begins to enjoy "Patience" I know it will all be worth it.

No, Leo, it ain't lowered.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-05-2002, 01:54 PM

Registered SVX
Leo,
I bought the car from Peter Chung (pc109), a real good guy. This was his post:
------------------------------------
1992 SVX LS-L Pearl SALE $3500 OBO
Selling my 1992 Pearl SVX LS-L to make room for a new WRX.
Located in the NY area.

currently 124,000 miles with gray leather interior.

New radiator and transmission installed in February (@118,000mi). It shifts perfectly with no hesitation or slipping.

Replaced wheel bearings on both left (@108,000mi) and right (@88,000mi) rear wheel bearings.

4 new wheel center caps.
New Pirelli P7000 Supersport Z-rated tires.

New driver side window control switch.

Koni struts front and rear.

Exhaust replaced with KC cat back, using 2 Magna Flow mufflers.

Cross-drilled rotors Front and Back.

Problems with this car:

The driver side leather seat is worn and cracking, but I have replacement leather for both front seats (I never got around to installing them, but whoever buys the car can have em). The rest of the leather in the car is in great shape.

The rear driver side window doesnt open anymore. I think it is because the people who installed the shocks disconnected it...but I haven't had the time to check.

There are a bunch of door dings mostly on the passenger side, because I used to park the car in a NYC garage where they kept the cars packed tight and they would always open the driver door of the next car over into my SVX.

The front right fender has 2 small dents from a lady who backed her Land Rover into me...even though I was honking and yelling for her to stop.

The hood is a little dented from me running into the back of my friend's Grand Cherokee at 5 MPH.

Other than these cosmetic blemishes, the car is clean and in great shape. The paint is in great condition even though the car is 10 years old because I garaged it in both Manhattan and out on Long Island.

Engine is running strong and I have maintained the car mechanically with all records. (timing belt changes, O-ring changes, solenoid and gaskets, etc.)

LS-L includes:
Leather interior
8-way Power driver seat
Power sunroof
6-speaker, AM/FM/cassette/CD player
Heated outside mirrors

Obviously everyone on this site knows the other specs of the car.

I NEED to sell this car soon because I have a WRX on hold at the dealer.

-----------------------------------------------------

Peter found that the rear window had not been plugged in after the Koni install. He plugged it in and all works well.

Now I can save some mileage on "Patience" and have a little fun on my drive with the "Evil Twin." I'm going to have to do come underhood cleaning, though.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Boone

Randy, I'm glad to hear you're satisfied with your new one. These little problems are the "tolls" on the road. Post some pictures soon. http://www.dingkingtool.com/
Old 08-05-2002, 02:09 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Oh, one more MAJOR thing. The gas guage is not accurate (this is driving me to distraction). I will register full after the tank has been filled. Once the level hits . . . say . . . the top slash of the slashes, it drops like a stone -- zero signal. THEN, when it hits just over half a tank, it kicks in again. But, when it gets to the "half tank" slash, BAM -- dead again . . . until, it hits a quarter tank. It then, ressurects until just below a quarter and dies again. THIS IS NUTS!!! I'd love any suggestions on how to correct this problem (easily and ASAP). I hate having to depend on resetting the trip meter at every fuel stop.
Well, the reason why that is doing that is because someone took out the fuel gauge from the back (out of the whole gauge cluster) and screw it back in again (and messed up the teeth of the screws, thus the contact for powering the unit is not touching to the right poles all the time. There could be a quick fix. Take the whole unit out again and wrap a small sheet of foil (yeah from the kitchen) and rescrew it and see if it is ok. Otherwise, it's a 120 USD part from the dealer. My red 94 did that after I screwed up the screw.

Another reason is that you have a short somewhere in the car. Also on the red car, when I hit the brake and the lights goes off, the needle falls and stays at "E" till I hit a bump and it climbs back up.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!

Last edited by Seraph; 08-05-2002 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:22 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If it consistently repeats itself I'd suspect the sending unit. There's a point on the swinging float arm that probably needs to be tweaked a bit to ensure good contact throughout its range of motion.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:31 PM
Lowered SVX

you know randy......

it would very easy to install some ground control springs......could lower it one inch.......could go two like me........

the koni's ride nice dont they?
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-05-2002, 02:46 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Randy, if you're interested in some stock exhaust, I wouldnt have a problem swaping with you I have the resonator cut out!

Unless you want to lose your title as "Stock Boy", you WILL switch with me!
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?