Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 11-17-2006, 02:44 PM

My new custom wing. What a freakin ordeal.

Just ordered a moldable foam sheet to begin this process.

I will shape myself to the way I want it to look and then take it to a fiberglass guy to paint it, etc.

This is going to be the coolest SVX ever. My girlfriend says its wrong, along with some very important members of this forum, but I'm going forward with this anyway.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
You can't please everyone right? Post pics when you've got some work done! Good luck.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-04-2006, 01:25 PM

Progress of my wing.

Hi folks. Just wanted to still you were I am with the wing.

I have received the molding material. They are 2 - 2"X24"X48" boards that can withstand the heat of fiberglassing.

I downloaded a free photediting software and it would not let me save my crude mockup to jpeg so I cannot show you the crude image.

I have spent a lot of time thinking of how it should look and basically here it is.

1. The wing will mount precisely on the rear corner of the trunk.
2. From sideways, it will go approx the same distance forward towards the rear window as the stock spoiler. This means it will be huge at the base when looking at it from the side.
3. It will taper in from the front at approx 26 degrees until it reaches the roof line height.
4. The rear will only taper approx 10 degrees.
5. When looking at the car directly from behind, the 1" think wing will exactly follow 1/4" seam that borders the rear window.

Thats all I know so far.

as the on the
I do kn
Old 12-04-2006, 05:00 PM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan
Hi folks. Just wanted to still you were I am with the wing.

I have received the molding material. They are 2 - 2"X24"X48" boards that can withstand the heat of fiberglassing.

I downloaded a free photediting software and it would not let me save my crude mockup to jpeg so I cannot show you the crude image.

I have spent a lot of time thinking of how it should look and basically here it is.

1. The wing will mount precisely on the rear corner of the trunk.
2. From sideways, it will go approx the same distance forward towards the rear window as the stock spoiler. This means it will be huge at the base when looking at it from the side.
3. It will taper in from the front at approx 26 degrees until it reaches the roof line height.
4. The rear will only taper approx 10 degrees.
5. When looking at the car directly from behind, the 1" think wing will exactly follow 1/4" seam that borders the rear window.

Thats all I know so far.

as the on the
I do kn
LMAO, Boy I knew you'd fit right in when you started the "italian car" thread. TROUBLE MAKER! JK, I was thinkin it was funny but it got crazy at the end. Here we go again with the wing thing! LMAO!

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 AM

My new custom wing. ADDED: NEW WING VIDEO

Hey, just wanted everyone to know that the custom wing that I had made looked too wide, when viewed from the side, and thus I had it changed so it isnt so wide.

I loved everything about the wing including the height however the width just drove me crazy so I took it back to the shop and had them cut it. The shop owner told it it looked to wide and RSVX mentioned the same thing however I had this vision that it would turn out alright. I was wrong.

Honestly this whole wing ordeal has been very expensive and if I could do it all over I would have never started it. I think it makes my car look more exotic (thats just my opinion) but it doesnt look better. In my opinion, the new wing will make my car look better but I will have to wait and see.

Its really been a pain.

Anyway, I will post the new video soon.

Last edited by anthonybuchanan; 12-05-2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added video
Old 12-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: My new custom wing. What a freakin ordeal.

Oh! I'm excited to see how you changed it. Mind if I ask what made you want to make it so high though?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-04-2008, 10:32 AM

I personally like the high height.

Its not everyones cup of tea though but I really, really like the height. The width killed me though everyday. I became ashamed to take it out. It screwed around with my psyche. Really. So I took it back to pay extra to have it changed.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

To each is own my friend. I like some of the jobs on the Russian cars and they get critisized plenty. Mind if I ask how much the job has cost you so far? Also, how much when everythings done?
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-04-2008, 12:30 PM

Thinking about not telling the cost due to embarrassment.

I know I will tell though.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Network Design Administrator

It's already been discussed, here is the thread...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47128
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:16 PM

RSVX, the old wing was discussed there.

The revised wing video will be posted here.

Also, I am going to post a video of the old wing painted. I wasted money painting it and will have to repaint. Sucks huh ?

I love the look front the front, back, and angles however from the side (90 degrees) I have to admit it sucks bigtime.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Hater

will this wing look rice-tastic? yes. yes it will.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
will this wing look rice-tastic? yes. yes it will.
Not so much rice.. I think he's going more for the muscle car look..
Old 12-05-2008, 08:46 AM

You're right Freeman.

Its all personal opinions. Some people like it, hate it, love it. Some of the comments are geniunely funny like the "shopping cart" comments. I saw an article where people said the same thing about the F40. It really does look like a shopping cart.

Have to say also that driving an F40 and putting a wing on an SVX like this is also about how much "Balls" you've got.

The F40 designers where laughed at too. The laughing was geniune because people where not use to something like that and they thought they should react with a laugh. But the F40 designer had "balls" and put it out there.

I mean its a bold move to do something cool like that knowing a lot of small minded people will say it sucks and use racial terms like "rice ____" to describe it.

(btw, rice ___ started as a racial term and it still is eventhough the people using it here are not racist at all but just ignorant and/or insensitive.)

When you do something like this wing though you have to have a creative mind and you have to be bold and you need to be able to say, "oh he doesnt like it but thats all good because I did it for me not him".

I do hope that I am not causing some folks to lose sleep over it though since a lot of people love the SVX to the extent that they are pissed to see anyone change it. I can understand that. I also say "f-that, I'm going to have some fun with my SVX". I want to make my car look cooler and I am going to do just that. Damn anything else".
Old 12-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
You're right Freeman.

Its all personal opinions. Some people like it, hate it, love it. Some of the comments are geniunely funny like the "shopping cart" comments. I saw an article where people said the same thing about the F40. It really does look like a shopping cart.

Have to say also that driving an F40 and putting a wing on an SVX like this is also about how much "Balls" you've got.

The F40 designers where laughed at too. The laughing was geniune because people where not use to something like that and they thought they should react with a laugh. But the F40 designer had "balls" and put it out there.

I mean its a bold move to do something cool like that knowing a lot of small minded people will say it sucks and use racial terms like "rice ____" to describe it.

(btw, rice ___ started as a racial term and it still is eventhough the people using it here are not racist at all but just ignorant and/or insensitive.)

When you do something like this wing though you have to have a creative mind and you have to be bold and you need to be able to say, "oh he doesnt like it but thats all good because I did it for me not him".

I do hope that I am not causing some folks to lose sleep over it though since a lot of people love the SVX to the extent that they are pissed to see anyone change it. I can understand that. I also say "f-that, I'm going to have some fun with my SVX". I want to make my car look cooler and I am going to do just that. Damn anything else".
Right... Just don't forget to post pictures/video of the new work alright? How much longer will it take?