SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-30-2008, 04:54 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Vista Slowness

I just got a Vista laptop, it has 2 GB of Ram and built in wireless. I really like the interface improvements with Vista, but my problem is that my Vista laptop plays Internet videos super slow compared to my XP Laptop with just 1GB and Wireless. For example I can play a youtube video on the XP and have it play without stopping, but on the Vista I get about 10 second before it pauses. Is this just a problem with Vista and why everybody hates it, or do I need to uninstall McAfee or disable a registry setting? I was thinking I needed to upgrade my wireless router, but I'm not sure since the old laptop doesn't have a problem.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-30-2008, 05:16 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Re: Vista Slowness

Mcafee Security center usually runs about 13 processes all in its own when you have Firewall Plus, Site Advisor, Privacy Service, etc., so removing it usually will speed things up. My favorite anti-virus that is very transparent (uses very little resources) and very effective is ESET NOD32. It's rated as one of the top antivirus programs.

The other issue is the way that Windows Media Player and Adobe Flash player are integrated into Windows and IE7. Have you tried using Firefox?

Another way to help speed up computer performance is to disable User Account Control to gain some more resources back. That can be found in Control Panel >> User Accounts.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Yeah, I have firefox on it already, same issue. I guess I'll try it on a hardwired connection and see if that improves it. If it seems as slow on the Cat 5 cable as the wireless then I will dump McAfee. Man, I hate when I upgrade and end up with less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Mcafee Security center usually runs about 13 processes all in its own when you have Firewall Plus, Site Advisor, Privacy Service, etc., so removing it usually will speed things up. My favorite anti-virus that is very transparent (uses very little resources) and very effective is ESET NOD32. It's rated as one of the top antivirus programs.

The other issue is the way that Windows Media Player and Adobe Flash player are integrated into Windows and IE7. Have you tried using Firefox?

Another way to help speed up computer performance is to disable User Account Control to gain some more resources back. That can be found in Control Panel >> User Accounts.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX

I have no advice for you, but I will commiserate a little about Vista.

I have Vista 64 running on a quad-core machine with 4GB of memory here at work. Because I have a Wacom tablet, Vista assumed I had a tablet PC and installed dozens of tablet PC-specific features. It's taken months to find and disable them all, and the worst harmed 3DSMax performance badly.

Grr...

It's pretty, though.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

I just bought a new laptop myself. Came with Vista Basic. I didn't even turn it on before removing the hard drive, creating a backup image then upgrading to XP.

Another large slowdown in Vista is indexing. More time is wasted indexing the hard drive than searching an unindexed drive. Plus how many times do we actually need to search for files anyway?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
I just got a Vista laptop, it has 2 GB of Ram and built in wireless. I really like the interface improvements with Vista, but my problem is that my Vista laptop plays Internet videos super slow compared to my XP Laptop with just 1GB and Wireless. For example I can play a youtube video on the XP and have it play without stopping, but on the Vista I get about 10 second before it pauses. Is this just a problem with Vista and why everybody hates it, or do I need to uninstall McAfee or disable a registry setting? I was thinking I needed to upgrade my wireless router, but I'm not sure since the old laptop doesn't have a problem.
i've always used McAfee, and its always been a frickin' nightmare.

my new Vista machine came with free Norton, and its been trouble-free so far.

i don't know what i'm going to get when the Norton expires, but it WON'T be McAfee.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 AM
SVXless

Quote:
WINNAR!!!

I use the same thing on any PC that I own or fix for a friend/family member. I've never had a problem out of it and everything I've put it on it still running strong. I've got a copy of the latest version if you would like to "borrow" it.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:16 PM

I just "hot rodded" my two year old Acer. It had 1G of RAM, a 100 Gb hard drive and ran XP home. Now it has 2G RAM (maxed out,) a 160 Gb hard drive (maxed out) and XP Pro. Bought a new, legal, copy of XP Pro from Fry's Electronics, in the "system builder's" mode. There were some problems at first, but then one of the gurus at Acer's U.S. service dept. told me how to install the proper drivers, and now it runs like a charm. For firewall and anti-spy/malware, I'm running products from Sunbelt Software. Their new "Vipre" technology combines anti spyware and anti-malware into one program, and works like a charm. They also offer licenses for more than three computers at one home address, meaning that my daughter and I have all our toys protected. McAfee and Symantec (Norton) programs work well, but over the years they have just been building on the same architecture they started with in DOS. Therefore, bloat. Sunbelt started from ground zero with Vipre, and it's small and fast. They also have a program called iHateSpam that works in Outlook and Outlook Express that kills spam before Yahoo's engine can even find it.
Just my 2cents worth
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 07-30-2008, 05:32 PM

Registered SVX

And at the other end of the spectrum: the only hi speed available to me is sattelite @ $50+ a month or more, sooo I have the worlds slowest dial up, 24k bps, I watch zero video, YouTube might as well be on Mars. The times I have tried to watch video I get part of a second then a 20 second halt, you get the picture.

Way back I wanted to down load ebay Turbo Lister, 7 hours. I went to a friend in town (I'm in the sticks) that has cable dsl, Turbo Lister took almost 30 seconds to download.

My house is for sale, if the economy turns around I'm moving to town.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:51 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

I dont think Ive heard anything good about vista yet! I recently purchased a mac mini with v10. Its not leopard, Not even sure what it that means ...still waiting for it to get here.

Anyone else running panda virus software?

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 07-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

The slow down is McAfee related. I just disabled McAfee and now everything is playing at the speed that I am used to. I'll probably try the ESET when the McAfee expires. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:

Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Does anyone use Clamwin for their AV program? It's free and doesn't tie up my system.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
Does anyone use Clamwin for their AV program? It's free and doesn't tie up my system.
I played with ClamWin last week working on a client's PC. It seemed to work well, but the only issue I saw was that MS security center didn't recognize that the system had an antivirus. Its not a huge deal unless you work with people that have OCD with stuff like that, but I just set Windows to let the antivirus monitor itself.

But overall it didn't affect performance, but I haven't used it long enough to gauge its effectiveness and its heuristics ability.

Posted via Windows Mobile 6 Device
Old 07-31-2008, 12:41 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

The free solution?

www.ubuntu.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craiggie/2431650342/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_da...der/836999059/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlizanab/210224933/
Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 AM
Hater

i had a 3D cube desktop app for Windows. i deleted it after about two days because it didn't really do anything for me other than look "cool".

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: