IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisen_15 View Post
this is a leaf blower setup...http://youtube.com/watch?v=1nBowIlXef0

Car isn't running, it's only building pressure as the air is not flowing anyway but against the throttle plate.

You're missing the whole big flaw in this......boost pressure means absolutely nothing if you don't have the flow to back it. Leaf blowers cannot provide both enough flow and positive pressure to be of any use on any car engine, especially one of 3.3L

Go ahead and try it if you want. I'm just letting you know what the outcome will be.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:09 PM

I have to agree with boxersix on this one. It's been tried time and time again, and it has failed everytime. You MAY get like a 5hp increase UNDER 1,000 rpm, but it would aboslutely choke the car after that, and then probably come apart and ruin your motor.

A fellow prober tried this on his '96 Probe GT a few years back when morons first had this idea. THe fan blade on the blower flew off into his intake and... long story short, caused his motor to explode.

But go right ahead and see what happens... You are effectively bringing a rubber band to a gun-fight though.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!

Last edited by Nevin; 12-17-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:43 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I bet there are more than 1,000 threads about the electric "hair dryer" and approximately 1,000,000,000 replies saying "don't be an idiot"

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I kill more trannies then god

watch the video, it's been done
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....f%20blower&p=0
with dyno evidence to prove it
Old 12-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
so, all you have to do is figure out a way to tap off of your main fuel line, then create a pressurized reservoir for the 2 cycle oil, and then figure out where to mount the leaf blower motor and you're golden! What a concept!
I did like the smiles on the guys in the video along with the guy walking around with the "NAHZZZ" bottle. I'm guessing this happened late in the day after some serious bench racing
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-06-2008, 11:56 PM

baught an electric leaf blower today, it was 40$ and it has 405cfm... thought it was pritty good.. hooked it up and used it normal way and it moves hella air... but i tried using it with my power invertor on my car and it didnt even work... now im going to have to use like 3-4 batteries in the back or a better inverter , my air filter fits perfectly on the blower, it also came with a switch so im able to put it under my peddle for WOT... i put my hand over the air and tried to block it, it was extremely hard and therefore i know it creates psi... ill let everyone know more later...
Old 01-07-2008, 03:54 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
I'm just looking forward to seeing where it's going to fit under the hood!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:58 AM

i will most likely be using it in my fender well, that way i can also add cold air to the mix.... i plan on increasing the cfm by upping the amount of amps and voltage the motor takes.. this motor is something you would find on an electric scooter...
Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 PM

The only SUCCESSFUL electric S/C kit that I know of uses 3 compact starters to power the unit. It requires having an additional alternator as well as 3 deep cycle batteries. It can only be used for about 15 seconds at a time and then you need to let your batteries recharge for about 10 minutes. I think it was tktturbo.com or something.

You still haven't addressed what you're going to do for fuel IF you can create enough pressure to actually be useful...Seriously, I think the amount of effort you're spending is going to be absolutely fruitless. It's not that it has to just make pressure on nothing, this "blower" (and I use the term loosely) actually has to FORCE air into a motor that already takes in a large amount of it. I still see very little chance of this being worth your time.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 PM

well, lets take a vote who thinks it will work and wont work....

If you search it, theres tons of Forums who ask the same questions i do and they all say some one should try it....

im gointo make a video of mine today, its pritty sick...

If it works, wont my MAF add some fuel to compensate? i doubt ill get more thean the 250hp mark where it does stop giving more fuel...
Old 01-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Don't take this the wrong way, but have you found a single how-to?
Old 01-07-2008, 02:12 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Leaf blowers are made to blow leaves, not to boost cars. That's what real superchargers and turbos are for. Leaf blowers are not designed for car use. I vote fail.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 01-07-2008, 02:19 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Leaf blowers are made to blow leaves, not to boost cars. That's what real superchargers and turbos are for. Leaf blowers are not designed for car use. I vote fail.
I second that vote, but the failure will be SPECTACULAR!

"Please don't try any of this at home. We're what you call professionals"
-Adam Savage
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

$$$ to make it "work" VS your overal gain = failure(performance wise) big time.

If it was this easy I'd be out of business, and that's a fact.....

It's all in the math...you're going to need a certain amount of horsepower to drive a compressor to reach a certain flow rate and pressure level. Just plain Physics. How much horsepower do you think it takes to drive a turbocharger? I can tell you 3-4 car batteries isn't going to be enough to drive a motor powerful enough to do this(it's in the amps, not volts). 6 or 7 maybe, and add up the cost of batteries, wiring, rigging, blower, switches, etc and you're talking $600+ for a mere 5hp gain maybe. Maybe if you used a 5-6 hp brushless motor drive system and controller to spin 30K rpm and a hose of batteries to power it around 36Volts then again maybe
you'd see a slight 5hp gain.

Hey it's your money. Do as ye will.

And that video used a 4-5 hp GAS powered blower on a small disp Honda. And who knows who ****ed with the correction factors on that dyno to "prove" a point. Were' talking a motor with ~1.5 liters in disp over that honda in the SVX. and when it all boils down to it...the math doesn't lie.....
Old 01-07-2008, 03:44 PM

i really like at both sides of this build, but i wont exceed 100$ in this experiment... i accept failure but i have lots of free time right now so i figure its some educational time on forced induction...