Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbone View Post
Where is the security module located? Close to the switch? My 92 Ebony has a aftermarket alarm (that doesnt work) and they disabled the factory one. I would rather have the factory one to work right now.
On cars without the passenger airbag (92 and some 93) the module is behind the glove box. On models with the airbag the module is in the trunk next to the left speaker.

The people who installed your alarm could have disabled the factory system by removing it. You'll have to look to see if it's still there.

There's also no telling what wires they may have cut to install the aftermarket system, so you might need to do some repairs if you remove that.

I suggest trying to figure out what's wrong with the aftermarket system. Could be something as simple as a fuse. There are typically a couple of inline fuses on the wires near the alarm "brain."
Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
On cars without the passenger airbag (92 and some 93) the module is behind the glove box. On models with the airbag the module is in the trunk next to the left speaker.

The people who installed your alarm could have disabled the factory system by removing it. You'll have to look to see if it's still there.

There's also no telling what wires they may have cut to install the aftermarket system, so you might need to do some repairs if you remove that.

I suggest trying to figure out what's wrong with the aftermarket system. Could be something as simple as a fuse. There are typically a couple of inline fuses on the wires near the alarm "brain."
I have no remote for the aftermarket alarm, I dont even know where the brain is for it. All I've found so far is the speaker in the engine bay. Thats what gave me the clue for the factory system not working. I'll look behind the glovebox and see if the factory unit is unplugged(hopefully thats it). I do have a parts car if anything needs replaced.
Thanks.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:31 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
On cars without a passenger airbag, it is located in the space where the passenger airbag would go. To get to it, you need to remove about 30 assorted screws and bolts to remove the glove box door and the glove box box. Then look up in the opening and to the right side is a black box mounted to the heavy steel bar with 2x10mm headed bolts.

On cars with a passenger airbag, the module is located under the rear parcel shelf, between the speakers. You can get to it relatively easy from the trunk.

Arg, I had a stock alarm but they PO removed it when he got the Viper installed
Old 10-18-2007, 03:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
Well, I think mine was removed also. I looked up/behind the glovebox and the only unit there was the cruise control and heater stuff. Now to take the Claret apart and remove it. I know its there and works.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:46 PM

ok about these alarms mine has both the factory box and a aftermarket one so how do i know which is conected , as my blinkers,immoboliser etc activate but no siren/horn make any noise .one clue iv got is one flash of the blinkers sets and two flashes disables??.. plus i seem to have another box conectd by ties to the steering coloum wth a red led & a green led in it and two little dails one white one black that each can move to four positions ,have laid on the floor looking and the little leds dont go when i set or trip the alam etc??
Old 10-19-2007, 05:39 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
Since we are on this alarm kick I have a question. I am purchasing the factory/oem module for the alarm but I have an aftermarket one in my car that only unlocks the doors and kills the ignition( ignition shutoff, no siren ,no horn). My question is, do I need to disable the old alarm before pluging in the factory one?
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 10-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
I suggest trying to figure out what's wrong with the aftermarket system. ...
I have no remote for the aftermarket alarm ...
Quote:
Well, I think [my OEM module] was removed also. I looked up/behind the glovebox and the only unit there was the cruise control and heater stuff. Now to take the Claret apart and remove it. I know its there and works.
Did you at least find the 17-pin harness for the OEM security module in the Ebony? If the module was not there, the harness should have been stuffed in there somewhere. If it's been cut or damaged, an OEM module won't be very useful.

If the only problem with your aftermarket alarm is the lack of a remote, a new remote will cost less than an OEM security module (even a used one). The aftermarket system will likely have better functionality than the OEM. If you'd prefer to have a horn honk instead of the siren, most aftermarket systems can do that.

The aftermarket brain will almost certainly be underneath the dash, near the steering column. Bring a flashlight, throw a pillow on your pedals, and crawl under the wheel and take a look. You should be able to find it. Very few installers take the time to disassemble the dash to bury it further, but some do a better job of hiding them than others.

Once you find the brain, you can read the model number and any other identifying information. At the very least, take some pictures. You should also find a hidden valet/programming pushbutton nearby (connected by a twisted pair of wires, via a 2-pin plug).

Then you can try a new remote with it. Most stores that will sell you the remote will help you program the brain to accept it. But once you get the make and model number, I can probably get the installation and owners manuals (online downloads).

As I said earlier, if you really want to switch to an OEM module, you're going to have to undo any damage from the aftermarket installation. There's a good chance it includes a starter kill that you'll need to fix.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxual View Post
ok about these alarms mine has both the factory box and a aftermarket one so how do i know which is connected , as my blinkers,immoboliser etc activate but no siren/horn make any noise.
Hopefully only one of them is connected. How are you sure you have both? Have you actually seen the OEM security module?
Quote:
one clue i've got is one flash of the blinkers sets and two flashes disables??
Is that a question or are you saying your car does this?
Quote:
plus i seem to have another box connected by ties to the steering column with a red led & a green led in it and two little dials one white one black that each can move to four positions ,have laid on the floor looking and the little leds dont go when i set or trip the alam etc??
That's actually a bomb. Cut the blue wire! (just kidding )

Does it have anything written or embossed on it? Brand name, model number, serial number, etc.? How many wires connect to it? (most aftermarket alarm brains have several harnesses, each with 2, 3, or many wires). Pictures might help us identify it. Although if it's something more commonly sold in your hemisphere, a local car alarm shop may have better luck identifying it.

What problem are you trying to solve? Are you just trying to figure out what you have, or does something not work that you want to fix?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSVXette View Post
Since we are on this alarm kick I have a question. I am purchasing the factory/oem module for the alarm but I have an aftermarket one in my car that only unlocks the doors and kills the ignition( ignition shutoff, no siren ,no horn). My question is, do I need to disable the old alarm before plugging in the factory one?
That would be best. You really don't want two alarm modules connected.

As I wrote above, if you will be removing an aftermarket alarm, you'll probably need to reverse some of the wiring changes the installer made, especially if it had starter kill.

But I recommend trying to troubleshoot the aftermarket system first. It may only be a small problem, and would probably be much less expensive to fix than switching to an OEM module.

Last edited by SVXdc; 10-19-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:09 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Did you at least find the 17-pin harness for the OEM security module in the Ebony? If the module was not there, the harness should have been stuffed in there somewhere. If it's been cut or damaged, an OEM module won't be very useful.

If the only problem with your aftermarket alarm is the lack of a remote, a new remote will cost less than an OEM security module (even a used one). The aftermarket system will likely have better functionality than the OEM. If you'd prefer to have a horn honk instead of the siren, most aftermarket systems can do that.

The aftermarket brain will almost certainly be underneath the dash, near the steering column. Bring a flashlight, throw a pillow on your pedals, and crawl under the wheel and take a look. You should be able to find it. Very few installers take the time to disassemble the dash to bury it further, but some do a better job of hiding them than others.

Once you find the brain, you can read the model number and any other identifying information. At the very least, take some pictures. You should also find a hidden valet/programming pushbutton nearby (connected by a twisted pair of wires, via a 2-pin plug).

Then you can try a new remote with it. Most stores that will sell you the remote will help you program the brain to accept it. But once you get the make and model number, I can probably get the installation and owners manuals (online downloads).

As I said earlier, if you really want to switch to an OEM module, you're going to have to undo any damage from the aftermarket installation. There's a good chance it includes a starter kill that you'll need to fix.
The original harness was still there and unmolested. I plugged in another module that I pulled from my Claret, but all I get now is a steady light and I'm unable to program the remote. I will have to look more for the aftermarket module. I dont think its under the steering colume, as I was under there before I found the original location of the factory module.
I can pull the module out of my Teal and try that. But after my last experience with the glove box removel, I'm not in a bug hurry to do it again
Old 05-21-2012, 09:15 PM

Registered SVX
Re: svx remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
No, if it doesn't have the security system, it doesn't have keyless locks. The question is??? Do the non security cars have the wiring for the security system? Would it be plug and play???

Anybody with a non-security car wanna rip into their dash/trunk??? I have a security module and button.
Hocrest, I'm hoping you know the answer to my issue or where to find the answer. See the pictures, I need to know where to attach(solder) the wire to the chip board, no wonder this remote never worked even 13 years ago

Where do I solder the wire to the chip board?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remote 001.JPG (619.5 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg remote 002.JPG (509.2 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg remote 003.JPG (474.3 KB, 230 views)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:19 PM

Registered SVX
Smile Re: svx remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromano View Post
Hocrest, I'm hoping you know the answer to my issue or where to find the answer. See the pictures, I need to know where to attach(solder) the wire to the chip board, no wonder this remote never worked even 13 years ago

Where do I solder the wire to the chip board?

I'm guessing one or the other side of where the battery contacts are
Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 AM

Registered SVX

Is that now attached to the metal strip I see going across the cover.
Just a guess , I think it attaches to nothing. That may be the antenna.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:35 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Thanks Conn, I'll put it together & see if it works
Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Rather than take a guess, I took one apart to look. It should be attached to where the negative battery spring is attached.

Last edited by Hocrest; 05-22-2012 at 08:04 AM.