SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
more switches there than points mentioned in the article...it is interesting that they mentioned fuel cutoff, as the car already has a built-in fuel cut off if the the car rolls.
-Bill
I think one of the covered toggle switches is an auto-fire extinguisher rig that was required on PPG cars, and probably the pace car as well.
Preston
Old 08-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Any posts from back when I didn't even use capitalization should just be outright disregarded.
I am not at liberty to deny the fact I was a lunatic when I was new to the forum.
As the years wear on, I become slightly less insane.

--
Oh and about Chicane, I have to piont out one thing that was never caught, he started spewing off because he misread my original statement.
Look at it carefully, for it is carefully worded, unlike my many other comments in that thread.

"i've no doubt no 3.3 svx can reach 500hp without fi, but something a little lower may be acheivable"
Yeah, you seem much more intelligent now. Good job for bringing yourself up in the world. (no sarcasm).
Old 08-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have a 'request',

A certain member of the 'site' has asked me to 'DUPE' the pace car. I cannot live with myself if I drove a car with pink and purple interior, but the outside scheme has merit. Since it's only paint, I would be willing to do one , using my daughters 222K, 92 SVX as the subject vehicle.
I will use PPG paint and put the graphics on the side. BUT, I WILL NOT put the pink and purple interior in it!!
For the record, I have set up a deal with my brother to use his spray booth, so I am ready to do paint work on specific vehicles. I ain't cheap, but the quality will be unsurpassed.

I will show you the Dupont calender with the 23 t-bucket and the 38 Benz 3 seat roadster and the newspaper with the 58 chevy convertable on request.
The Benz and the 23 T had PPG paint and the 58 was Dupont.

All work from this point will be PPG. (My supplier has given up Dupont)

Overall paint starts at $2,500. Show quality is $5,000. (with minor rust and dent repair)
It will be buffed, hand rubbed and clean when it leaves here. You can see the 'defects' in the car next to yours in the 'shine'.

The materials for an overall starts at $1,000.
Depending on the amount of bodywork needed, the job will take from 2 weeks to 6 weeks.

Touch up is cheaper. There are some materials availabe for a lower price, but the match is not as good.

PM some pics for a rough quote.

My booth won't be ready for this year, but it will be better because I took the extra time.

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 08-05-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:49 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser
A certain member of the 'site' has asked me to 'DUPE' the pace car.
ME! IT was ME!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
.....Yeah, the ol claret is about due for a new coat...

that would be SICK! Although I'd go out on a limb to say that the three colors used (Silver, light and dark purple) are all custom one-offs that would be nearly impossible to properly replicate. If the car were seen in person, with a book of color chips and VIP clearance available, Im sure you could get close

...Cherry hill....Thats pretty close by. I had heard rumors the pace car was there....Hmmm....
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 08-05-2007, 01:01 PM

I've wanted to see a metallic purple SVX with the black top for a long time! Now, these pictures have convinced me that it would look nice. (If I were painting one for myself, I'd leave the fade-to-light-purple off, though.) It's awesome that you're trying to duplicte this scheme, Jerry! I'd really like to see it when it's done. Maybe it's completion would be an excuse for another meet at Tom & Diana's...

What are you going to do about the orange transluscent plastic strip on the trunk lid that's red on a standard SVX?

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out yet that the article refers to the pace car's model year as 1991.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin
Hey, you were in that thread too! Looks like that Chicane guy was right. :P

Oh Please Rob... come out of the closet (hiding your identity I mean) already...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:27 PM

I really want to replicate this car now! Like stated keep the interior stock using either the black interior on a 92 or the L interior from 94-96, Tan leather just wouldn't work well. Another challenge would be the rear mid light panel, Its amber not red This would be a cool joint project to have. Maybe down the road some of the more experienced members could come together to create a car almost identical, would be a cool car to bring out to meets etc... Im actually looking at purchasing an ebay svx right now that is in Cherry Hill NJ. Anybody In that area willing to take a personal look at it for me. The auction has 2 days left. The body and interior look straight, just wanting a confirmation on the mechanical condition.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarusee
I really want to replicate this car now! Like stated keep the interior stock using either the black interior on a 92 or the L interior from 94-96, Tan leather just wouldn't work well. Another challenge would be the rear mid light panel, Its amber not red This would be a cool joint project to have. Maybe down the road some of the more experienced members could come together to create a car almost identical, would be a cool car to bring out to meets etc... Im actually looking at purchasing an ebay svx right now that is in Cherry Hill NJ. Anybody In that area willing to take a personal look at it for me. The auction has 2 days left. The body and interior look straight, just wanting a confirmation on the mechanical condition.

If its on eBay, check the seller name with our buyer beware thread.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23974
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
I've wanted to see a metallic purple SVX with the black top for a long time! Now, these pictures have convinced me that it would look nice. (If I were painting one for myself, I'd leave the fade-to-light-purple off, though.) It's awesome that you're trying to duplicte this scheme, Jerry! I'd really like to see it when it's done. Maybe it's completion would be an excuse for another meet at Tom & Diana's...

What are you going to do about the orange transluscent plastic strip on the trunk lid that's red on a standard SVX?

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out yet that the article refers to the pace car's model year as 1991.
I will need good pics that acurately show the colors. I will custom mix the paint using the front color and the back color and blending to get the effect desired. I did a van for a co-worker back in '96', the pinstripes on the hood changed colors 7 times in 5 feet! There were 14 color changes between the rain gutter and the bottom door hinges. ( He LOVED it!)

I put the ZZ Top stripes on a Maverick, did a repair on a Ford conversion van with 9 'unknown' colors on the stripe for the local Ford dealer. Replaced the factory stripes on a 78 LTD II hood,( With paint, instead of tape).

I DID notice the 91. BUT, I heard that the car was an 88 prototype. I need better pics to map out a plan. It can happen.......

You have heard the stories about the 'cobblers kids' having holes in their shoes. Every car that I have painted went home to the owner. When it comes to MY cars, I usually have about 9 hours to do it all! When I did my GMC a few weeks ago, all the bodywork was done in 4 hours and the paint took about an hour. It was sprayed outside, with a 5 mph northwesterly wind! It still looks as good as MAACO stuff! I didn't want to put too much effort into the paint because it would have ended up in the garage with the 91 Dodge pickup, since I would have been afraid to work it, for fear of scratching it!

Jerry
Old 08-05-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX
If its on eBay, check the seller name with our buyer beware thread.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23974
yeah thanks, it checks out ok there. They go by theautobank, seems to be the first svx they have sold. If it stays under a grand it seems to be a good deal, but like always ebay pictures look much better than it will look in person.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

I think it's weird you guys are freaking out about this thing. I always thought it was pretty hideous, and if anything, it probably made more people hate the SVX who otherwise might have liked it. I mean... come on... lavender and a pinkish purple interior? Sounds like a car for barbie or polly pocket.

Regardless, it's pretty unique SVX history, so if you do reproduce it, I just hope you show it off in a period correct way... maybe wear some of those 80s glasses and a nylon jumpsuit/windbreaker thing. :P It better have GENISIS/Phil Collins in the CD player too. Haha.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin
I think it's weird you guys are freaking out about this thing. I always thought it was pretty hideous, and if anything, it probably made more people hate the SVX who otherwise might have liked it. I mean... come on... lavender and a pinkish purple interior? Sounds like a car for barbie or polly pocket.

Regardless, it's pretty unique SVX history, so if you do reproduce it, I just hope you show it off in a period correct way... maybe wear some of those 80s glasses and a nylon jumpsuit/windbreaker thing. :P It better have GENISIS/Phil Collins in the CD player too. Haha.
Like I said. I will NOT do the interior thing! (It does look kinda Barbi-ish!)And , after all, It's just paint!
I LOVE history! The only reason I can think of to reproduce this car is for the history. ( alternate reason, because I CAN). I also have the FIRST Subi sports car, the 85 XT turbo coupe, 5 speed, 4WD. It would only make sence for me to park that next to the rarest of the rare. 88 or 91 pace car...whatever it was/is. only, I'll be using a 92.

Jerry
Old 08-05-2007, 03:42 PM

Is changing the color of a light panel even possible. Is there a way to bleed the original red and dye it amber. Just a thought that has me curious now.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarusee

Is changing the color of a light panel even possible. Is there a way to bleed the original red and dye it amber. Just a thought that has me curious now.
You would have to pull a mold and use the stuff like what comes in those light repair kits to fab one. Those kits have a sheet of aluminum film with most popular designs to put the texture inside of the repaired light. It would be a pain, but It could be done. Since the thing doesn't light up, you might be able to paint it and get the desired effect.

(I am running all over the place ripping out walls and cleaning up messes. I just blow through here and respond once in a while, when I have to stop to control the bleeding...)

Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 08-05-2007 at 05:49 PM.