Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-14-2007, 08:53 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
If your svx doesn't have a manual transmission, it should.

I got home from Iraq this morning and took a few nice long drives after some family stuff (Tom did a 5mt swap to mine while I was gone). The new clutch is real grippy, jolting you on 1-2 shifts but the car is a whole new animal now. I love it. I noticed a big increase in acceleration and throttle response over the crap auto, however, no more low rpms at 80mph with my new 4.11 gears - now it's more like 3500. No record-breaking drag times either, but it's actually a pretty sweet car for what I've put into it. I've also got an intake and ecutune waiting to go in, should be a little more fun after that.

No pics until I get some fresh paint on the bumpers and the rest professionally detailed
Old 05-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hey man, welcome back
Glad to see you didnt settle for the ws6
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 05-15-2007, 04:40 AM

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Back from Iraq

Hey Ricochet, glad to hear you are back and enjoying your SVX! Thanks again for your service "where you brought some ham" !!! LOL...... you b one kewl dude!!!! Looking forward to the pics
1997 Polo Green SVX LSI #316 49,000, garage queen, aka "The Green Queen" 1997 Brilliant Red SVX LSI #200, 167,000, daily driver, aka"Rosie's Rocket I" 1997 Brilliant Red SVX LSI#234, 106,000, summer driver, aka"Rosie's Rocket II"
1988 Red & White Silverado, aka "The Hauler"

2000 GRAND MARQUIS LS w/ handling package, aka "BIG BLUE"

1988 Mazda RX7 Convertible, aka " Lil Blue "
Old 05-15-2007, 05:05 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
I got home from Iraq this morning and took a few nice long drives after some family stuff (Tom did a 5mt swap to mine while I was gone). The new clutch is real grippy, jolting you on 1-2 shifts but the car is a whole new animal now. I love it. I noticed a big increase in acceleration and throttle response over the crap auto, however, no more low rpms at 80mph with my new 4.11 gears - now it's more like 3500. No record-breaking drag times either, but it's actually a pretty sweet car for what I've put into it. I've also got an intake and ecutune waiting to go in, should be a little more fun after that.

No pics until I get some fresh paint on the bumpers and the rest professionally detailed
You are welcome back home Brian. Although you never went away from the Network.

Congrats on the car and the gearbox, and I hope you enjoy it.

If you check in my locker HERE
you will see where I have compiled a spreadsheet showing different road speeds for 3 different final drives [apologies I have not included the USA 3.54 one, I did not have the reference figures to derive the speeds]

However you can see that with the 4.11 final drive 80mph is equivalent to about 3150 RPM. Now this of course is with the 4EAT auto, which has a very tall 4 range. It seems likely from this that your 5 speed does not have quite as tall a top gear as the auto gearbox.

Do you find the clutch heavy in traffic?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-15-2007, 07:26 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
What do you mean by heavy? The pedal itself is easy to push in but there isn't much play with clutch engagement.. Hopefully it's just a break-in phase.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
What do you mean by heavy? The pedal itself is easy to push in but there isn't much play with clutch engagement.. Hopefully it's just a break-in phase.
If it is easy to push in, that's OK, it's light.

Graham has a fivespeed on his pearlie, I think it's from an Sti, and I find the action heavy, hard to push. I would not like to be driving it for long in stop-start traffic.

Regards the play, the quick uptake is caused by a big plate and strong springs. They are needed to handle the torque.

The more modern clutches are multi-plate. These have a more gentle and progressive pickup, but are more expensive.

The quick action might improve after the break-in phase. Or you will get used to it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
4.111 + 80 + 3500 = about right, yeh.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:22 PM
I brought some ham.

I put on my jdm corners today, they look pretty sweet. They're only held on by one screw each! On my Civic I had to take off the entire front bumper.. this is much better. I started with the ecutune, hid, intake, rims, and sirius radio installs but I'm not here long enough to mess with those.. I setup an appt for someone else to install most of them friday

Last edited by Ricochet; 05-15-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Good to hear your back Brian! Glad your liking the ride. Hopefully you can make my birthday meet this year and me and you can have ourselves an interesting race.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Brian, I am glad you are enjoying the car... You will find the right way to keep the clutch from chattering... but it is a stage 2 and it will be grabby regardless. I hope all goes well and take care of it.... I had to trailer that thing all the way back there in a hell of a snowstorm

Tom
Old 05-16-2007, 11:19 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

once ya go manual ya never go back

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 05-16-2007, 11:54 AM
I brought some ham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Brian, I am glad you are enjoying the car... You will find the right way to keep the clutch from chattering... but it is a stage 2 and it will be grabby regardless. I hope all goes well and take care of it.... I had to trailer that thing all the way back there in a hell of a snowstorm

Tom
I'm getting used to it, I can shift a lot smoother now.. getting used to a new clutch usually has a bit of a learning curve. I forgot how messy my car was though, she really needs some paint and a good scrub on the inside.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
I'm getting used to it, I can shift a lot smoother now.. getting used to a new clutch usually has a bit of a learning curve. I forgot how messy my car was though, she really needs some paint and a good scrub on the inside.
All in good time Brian, we cannot do it all at once... Although while it was here, a couple of us noticed that it looked like the car had been sideswiped on the passenger side in the rear... Some signs of poor bondo sanding and the scratches on the lower window plastic made us come to that deduction... ever checked the car-fax on that bad boy?

Tom
Old 05-16-2007, 01:34 PM
I brought some ham.

Nope, probably should have.. oh well. I wasn't expecting a miracle car when I bought it for so little, just something to get me to work. Now I'm rich and want to set the bar a littler higher
Old 05-16-2007, 06:52 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b on demand
once ya go manual ya never go back
perhaps not for all pple

richman, show us some pics after u got her cleaned

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05