Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 01-13-2007, 02:21 AM

trans power light

seams to be the subject for the month - when I start the car the [green] power light come on, goes out - so I know it is working.
If I accel hard, it will kick down ok, but no power light and will only rev to about 3200
So - what activates the power mode? - is it electrical, operated by oil pressure, throttle position or combination?

BTW - it's never workrd since I got my SVX but guessing it's not sensing anything/ lost signal somewhere

bb
Old 01-13-2007, 02:43 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
tap the gas then floor it while cruising
Old 01-13-2007, 02:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to berger
3 days after having my svx, i sped up quickly, and had a heart attack.. "****, is the power steering rooted??"
after reading the forums, like richochet said, tap the gas, then floor it, seems to bring the light up no worries
Old 01-13-2007, 03:25 AM

no matter how hard you want to push the load pedal - all I get is a kick down - this power thing is a mystery to me - I've yet to expeience it!
Old 01-13-2007, 04:13 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to alexdownunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking64
no matter how hard you want to push the load pedal - all I get is a kick down - this power thing is a mystery to me - I've yet to expeience it!

Ah but when you do........ Nivarna....... and clean undies are handy
Old 01-15-2007, 04:15 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
After reading the SVX Service Manual, I have found that there are three factors that combine to determine whether "POWER" mode is activated.

They are the vehicle speed, the throttle position, and the throttle depression speed.

POWER mode is triggered when the throttle depression speed exceeds a defined value. That value is calculated as a function of the vehicle speed, and current throttle position.

As the vehicle speed increases, the throttle depression speed needed to trigger the POWER mode increases.

Therefore, it is easier to trigger the POWER mode when you are travelling slowly.

As well, as the throttle opening increases, the throttle depression speed needed to trigger the POWER mode decreases.

Therefore, it is easier to trigger the POWER mode when the throttle is already opened by a large amount.

Based on all of this, the most likely scenario that would trigger the POWER mode is when you are travelling slowly, with the throttle at least partially depressed. Depressing it further will usually trigger the "POWER" mode.

I have found this myself - if I exit an intersection at low speed, the transmission may still be in 2nd or 3rd gear. As I open the throttle, the transmission may stay in that gear - but if I open the throttle further (and relatively quickly), then "POWER" mode will activate, and the kickdown is instant.

At high speed, I find that I need to press the throttle more quickly to activate the "POWER" mode - but it can still be activated.

Try this - drive at a constant 80km/h, and quickly floor the accelerator. This should trigger the "POWER" mode, and the transmission should kick back to 2nd. It should hold that gear until 6500RPM, and then shift up. When you ease off the accelerator, "POWER" mode should deactivate after about 2 seconds.

The only reason that I can think of as to why the "POWER" mode would not activate is a faulty Vehicle Speed Sensor (there are 2 of them) or a faulty/incorrectly adjusted Throttle Position Sensor.

There is also a possibility that the link between the ECU and TCU is faulty, because I believe that the signal from the TPS is first read by the ECU, and then sent to the TCU.

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 01-15-2007, 05:21 AM

thanks, that helps - I have tried both, from standstill and @ 70kph up a hill, it changes down and not sure on the rpm but never goes near 6500, more like 4000 and will change up.
Would appear that one of the required signals is not there.
Does the book say if the power light (when engine starts) has checked the system and is all good for the transmisssion or engine or both?
Old 01-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Panic in an orderly line, after me

Bruce

Don't panic, man. There is an easy answer.

Later cars have the Power mode in the transmission all right, but the Power light does not come on to show it.

Yours is 1995. It is very possible yours is one of these later models, in which case, if it is, the Power light will never come on while driving.

Is your car one colour all over? Does your car have the OBD11 socket in the dash below the steering to one side?

If so, you probably have the "new" electronics.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Power light.

Mine is a 95 Aust.mod, and it has the normal power light. I think there must be a fault in the Viking. Should operate as Jason says.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Mine is a 95 Aust.mod, and it has the normal power light. I think there must be a fault in the Viking. Should operate as Jason says.

Harvey.
Yeah, but Harvey, your model has those poncy BBS wheels. They put the blinky Power light in that model to keep you old guys awake while overtaking!!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Yeah, but Harvey, your model has those poncy BBS wheels. They put the blinky Power light in that model to keep you old guys awake while overtaking!!

Joe
Stay awake, I just turn the "Dark side of the moon" up.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:20 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW-SVX
After reading the SVX Service Manual, I have found that there are three factors that combine to determine whether "POWER" mode is activated.

They are the vehicle speed, the throttle position, and the throttle depression speed.

POWER mode is triggered when the throttle depression speed exceeds a defined value. That value is calculated as a function of the vehicle speed, and current throttle position.

Jason.
Jason, sorry to abbreviate so as to save space, as all you posted was good stuff.

The TPS is a component which could be out of adjustment and is easy to check, as per details in the how too stuff.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-15-2007, 06:24 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Stay awake, I just turn the "Dark side of the moon" up.

Harvey.
Quite feasible, in that your earth is flat.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-15-2007, 07:47 PM

I have checked TPS, I have reading .5 at idle, should there be anything else? Reading at full throttle maybe?
Old 01-15-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Bruce

Don't panic, man. There is an easy answer.

Later cars have the Power mode in the transmission all right, but the Power light does not come on to show it.

Yours is 1995. It is very possible yours is one of these later models, in which case, if it is, the Power light will never come on while driving.

Is your car one colour all over? Does your car have the OBD11 socket in the dash below the steering to one side?

If so, you probably have the "new" electronics.

Joe
Thanks Joe, yes it's a 95 all one colour (well, 3 actually - 3 diffrerent faded shades of red - mirrors especially) but I don't know if OBD2 exists in Aussie cars, only US ones, I do have yellow subaru select (I think) behind the ashtray - so far thats all I could find

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: