Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2002, 03:10 PM
gcookaustin

Drove SVX today

Howdy y'all! Drove an SVX today; a '92. Seemed pretty tight, but had a couple of questions:
1. I believe the transmission is the original, has about 80000 miles on it. I had read that a sure symptom of future trouble is if the RPMs flare, especially between gear 2-3. When driving I didn't notice any "clunking" between any of the gears; between 2-3 the RPS seemed to hang for a split-second and then drop down (like it's supposed to I guess?) Didn't hear or feel anything at all when shifting into Reverse or Drive; it was really smooth.
2. Seems to be some kind of "whining" noise coming from drivetrain or tires; not sure which. Not a roaring or grinding noise. Can hear when traveling fast, and maybe even more when slowing down to about 40 MPH or so (perhaps because of less wind noise). Not real loud, but could get annoying after a while. Is that a bearing or tires or something in the drivetrain? Is it something that needs to be fixed or normal?
3. When making a light turn traveling at medium speed at one point the drivetrain seemed to kind of shudder or something. Not sure what that is, only happened once.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2002, 04:23 PM
I_Alcyone_I

the 2nd to 3rd flare isnt a sure sign of tranny failure. The plug behind the baterry will probobly fix that. and the noise could just be the tires on the road. try driving it over a newley paved piece of road to see if the noise goes away when you are driving over it. If it does its probobly your tires.
Old 04-06-2002, 05:52 PM
92_SVX_LSL

the plug behind the battery? what is this plug, eh? I'm just curious because i didn't know of it
Old 04-06-2002, 05:56 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
There is a resistor behind the battery. It does something with the tranny to allow full line pressure when shifting. Supposed to decrease heat build-up, therefore increasing the life of the tranny. I took mine out for 2 days, then my dad yelled at me and told me to put it back in.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 04-06-2002, 08:42 PM
92_SVX_LSL

ohh i see now, i'm illiterate i think...haha...
Old 04-07-2002, 03:08 PM
gcookaustin

So, does anyone know what the whining noise could be? Sounded kinda like it was coming from the drivetrain.
Thanks!
Old 04-07-2002, 07:23 PM
greg

I know that noise!

I have a winding noise that comes from my car too. I brought it in to see what the problem was and it seems that the drive shaft was rubbing on a heat sheild. They think that it is no big deal and not to worry. It does have a different tone from speed to speed. It is there sometimes and others not at all. I hear it most comming from under the gearshift when the windows are closed. When the windows are down I hear it echo from everywhere. Of course, i never hear it when i am stopped? Hope i was of some help!

-G
Old 04-07-2002, 08:23 PM
dart

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
So, does anyone know what the whining noise could be? Sounded kinda like it was coming from the drivetrain.
Thanks!
Since I haven't "heard" your particular whining noise I can only shed light on what I perceived as a whining noise when I first got my SVX (and hear to this day). Its gear noise from the camshafts and associated gears. Kinda reminds me of a muted Pete Jackson gear drive a buddy had on his Rat-motor Nova wagon. That was a fast car!
Old 04-07-2002, 08:27 PM
gcookaustin

Is it something that would need to be looked into? (if what you are talking about). It's not a grinding noise, and it's not a roaring noise (like I hear described as wheelbearings), it kind of sounds like tire noise but not sure.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:23 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
Is it something that would need to be looked into? (if what you are talking about). It's not a grinding noise, and it's not a roaring noise (like I hear described as wheelbearings), it kind of sounds like tire noise but not sure.
Roaring usually means bearings. If it is a high pitch screeching, it could be your resonator. Or you just ran over an animal. . Do you know if it is comming from the coners of the car or from all over the place?

Tough thing to do a diagnostic from across the country. If you could, can you post a sound clip?

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-08-2002, 01:44 AM
gcookaustin

I would if I could, if I end up buying it I will. It doesn't sound like it's from the corners, It sounds like either underneath or towards the back. Also not sure about the shudder I heard (or felt?) as making a relatively light left turn at about 35 MPH.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:56 AM
Boone

Not good. A low speed shudder (esp. while accelerating) while turning is usually the transfer clutches. Seems like there are too many bad noises. Better get it evaluated by a trained tech or look elsewhere. Also check yer basics... sweet pink tranny oil and all history. B.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:03 AM
gcookaustin

How long do they last at that point? Drove it for about 30 mins and it only happened once, couldn't get it to happen again.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:08 AM
gcookaustin

Also, it seemed to happen at about 5 Hz (5 times per second) for maybe a second or so? Could be off, not sure how helpful that is anyway...
Old 04-08-2002, 02:09 AM
Boone

If the clutches are sticking it would increase as the case gets warmer and set an error code. Also you would get the same effect with dissimilar or mis-inflated tires. Did you check the tranny oil? B.