Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 01-24-2006, 04:54 AM

errr...tiptronic svx?

a guy sellin his SVX in the trading post stated it has Tiptronic...is that some BS or do they really have that?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
None have that option and no one has proven it can be installed.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Mr Soob

Typically it is because people confuse the "Manu." gear holding option with a tiptronic, and use the shifter like a Hondamatic. Talk to the person and find out if they "had fun with the tiptronic" and if they say they never used it, it is a good indication that it'll be ok. Anyone who tried to use it like that - expect it to be revved out a fair bit. Not a sure sign it is stuffed, but something to be cautions about. Take careful note of how the gearbox behaves, and the usual "thrashed" signs such as smoke from exhaust and other tell-tale signs.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 01-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo3185
a guy sellin his SVX in the trading post stated it has Tiptronic...is that some BS or do they really have that?
No SVX ever had tiptronic, unless it was converted. I thought of doing it a few years ago, and Harvey put me off it. [I'm easy to put off. Just show me a wiring loom..... ]

There is a member in Texas who has bought a 5EAT tiptronic tranny and rear diff from a late model Legacy, and is planning to fit this to his SVX. It's a pretty major install, but it should be possible.

If you find out it actually is Tiptronic, Timbo, see if you can find contact details for the guy who did the conversion.

Ta

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-26-2006, 04:20 AM
Mr Soob

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
No SVX ever had tiptronic, unless it was converted. I thought of doing it a few years ago, and Harvey put me off it. [I'm easy to put off. Just show me a wiring loom..... ]

There is a member in Texas who has bought a 5EAT tiptronic tranny and rear diff from a late model Legacy, and is planning to fit this to his SVX. It's a pretty major install, but it should be possible.

If you find out it actually is Tiptronic, Timbo, see if you can find contact details for the guy who did the conversion.

Ta

Joe
I've had that exact same conversation a while back with Harv.

I'm still thinking it over. Once I do a manual in one, I'll look to seriously do that shortly. (At the moment I'm too busy to think about anything more complicated than tying my shoes in the morning, so if you see me with lace-up shoes it means I put in a lot of effort to dress up for you.)

All in all, while it isn't an enormous undertaking, it is a lot of custom work that will need to be tested-re-tested and constantly evaluated. And that means money and time, something a lot of us are short on.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 01-26-2006, 04:52 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff
I've had that exact same conversation a while back with Harv.

I'm still thinking it over. Once I do a manual in one, I'll look to seriously do that shortly. (At the moment I'm too busy to think about anything more complicated than tying my shoes in the morning, so if you see me with lace-up shoes it means I put in a lot of effort to dress up for you.)

All in all, while it isn't an enormous undertaking, it is a lot of custom work that will need to be tested-re-tested and constantly evaluated. And that means money and time, something a lot of us are short on.

I second that McTaff.....

Any engine mods I do will be slip-ons, no lace-ups, that's for sure

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-27-2006, 06:19 AM
aka sir_romeo

Send a message via MSN to kuroneko_sama Send a message via Yahoo to kuroneko_sama
well many dealers dont know whatthey are talkign about there is a 4 cylendar for sale round here.... (its not) and everyone that comments about knowing someone who had one claims they had the turbo model (they must confuse the "power"light feature as a turbo boost

though i suppose a shift kit would be possible but that wouldnt be triptronic.

i wish mine had triptronic
Car #26..'97 SVX Silver (120k and climbing)
previous SVXi:
Car #24..'94 SVX Ebony 216k (sold)
car #18..'97 SVX LSI "Ebby" Pearl 175k (sold)
car #19..'97 SVX LSI Brilliant Red 103k (sold)
car #14..'92 SVX Claret LS-L Touring (sold)
car #13..'94 SVX Laguna Blue LS (sold)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: