How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-13-2005, 07:04 AM
Targa-Hunter

Subaru transmission rebuild

I just installed a "Subaru" remanufactored transmission I bought from a guy with a wrecked SVX. It has a "Remanufactored by Subaru" tag on it. How do I know if the upgrades have been incorpoerated into this transmission when it was remanufactored by Subaru?

The removed one had been rebuilt previously by a local shop for $2800 and lasted about 20,000 miles before comming apart internally. There were a lot of metal in the pan and some roller bearings. Total disintigration.

Thanks,
Curt
Old 06-13-2005, 09:00 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa-Hunter
How do I know if the upgrades have been incorpoerated into this transmission when it was remanufactored by Subaru?

You won't know. But as long as the tranny was purachased in or after 1994 you should be all set. Only the early rebuilds were troublesome. They got much better around 1994.

Dave.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
I know of a few Subaru Remans that failed in December of '03.

But they all failed within a few hundred miles of install, so unless it was crashed right after install and parked since then, you should be safe
Old 06-13-2005, 09:24 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
I know of a few Subaru Remans that failed in December of '03.

But they all failed within a few hundred miles of install, so unless it was crashed right after install and parked since then, you should be safe

SVX remans or a reman for a different model Subaru? I've never seen a Subaru with a reman tranny come back with problems. I suspect a bad installation or improper flushing of the tranny cooling system.

Dave
Old 06-13-2005, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
SVX remans or a reman for a different model Subaru? I've never seen a Subaru with a reman tranny come back with problems. I suspect a bad installation or improper flushing of the tranny cooling system.

Dave
There are three that I know of, and a fourth that I believe to be the same, but don't have all the details;
- They were all Subaru SVX Remanufactured Transmissions.
- They were all done around December of 03.
- They were all done in different shops (2 dealerships, mine was done at a private "Specializes in Subaru" shop)
- They all had the same Sel ( I forget which one) go bad with in a few hundred miles of install.
- They all "blew" the previously good TCU (Electronics burnt up, and black smoke in the case)
- I know the remaining lines and cooler were completely flushed in mine. As for the other two done at the dealerships, I can't say.

For them to all have identical problems at the same time seems to be more than a coincidence.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:13 AM
red95svx

Strange

Dave
Old 06-13-2005, 10:32 AM

Strange indeed...

It was covered under the warranty, although the dealership gave me all kinds of reasons that they "could have" voided the warranty The service manager even told me when I picked it up that "They are submitting it under warranty, but they will continue to investigate and may end up sending me a bill for the trans"

My guess is that they got a bad batch of parts that they use during the rebuild?? If I knew then what I know now, I would have fought more to find out exactly what was going on. But, at that time I was just glad to have my car back on the road...