Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

What would "you" do?

This is going to be a liitle long. I appologize upfront.

A few weeks back, I bought my '92 LS-L from a member on the Yahoo site. Excellent condition and a great deal, but as with all of them, a known and declared problem here and there.

The main one was a busted speedo drive/driven gear set in the tranny. So since I'm not brave enough to go messing in the Tranny, I take it to good ole Findley "Fiendly" Subaru. I tell them what's wrong, and they tell me they have to take the tranny off to fix it. I said "It looks in the manuals that you can take off the left axle, and reach it from there". They say "no way".

They took their customary 3 days after the 2 week wait for parts, fix it, and I go pick it up. The mechanic tells me it was a bear due to rust. I accept this due to the car is from Minnesota, and my ventures under it had only been to turn the rotors, and put on fresh ceramic pads. I didn't know, but MN? Being in Vegas, it sounded reasonable. He charges me $1,050, and I go on my merry way.

I drive the car away and it's loud, the exhaust is now leaking. I also now have a misfire that is obvious. I take the car back the next morning, and "Fiendly" tells me the mechanic left due to a personal problem . He won't be back until Wednesday. I tell them I will bring it back then.

Blacknite shows up today to help me install power steering lines, a compressor and retrofit to 134a. (Translation: He did it, I sometimes held the flashlight, and then I reciprocated by giving him door trims and interior stuff )

To the point: After removing the MAF, etc., it is obvious the transmission was never removed! There is absolutely no evidence of any disturbances in the junctions between the tranny and the engine. There is also no evidence of excessive rust under the car. The exhaust system looks fairly new. The true evidence shows that what they did, was unbolt the exhaust system at mid car, then let the front section hang down. They then obviously repaired the drive/driven gears through the axle opening. They charged me over one THOUSAND dollars to do this.

Now what would you guys do? Am I over-reacting? If anyone has ever had these gears replaced, how much did it cost? What would you guys do?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Graphic Artist

At this point, I would be performing savage acts of rudimentary dentistry via the anus with some VERY long handled vice grips and an impact drill.

Then I would sleep with his daughter and write his manager a VERY sternly worded letter.

just my $.02

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-20-2005, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextse7en
At this point, I would be performing savage acts of rudimentary dentistry via the anus with some VERY long handled vice grips and an impact drill.

Then I would sleep with his daughter and write his manager a VERY sternly worded letter.

just my $.02
I'm rolling!! And what makes it even more hilarious, the mechanic always has an expression on his face as if this just happened!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 03-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Weasel 22

I would bring blacknite with you and explain to them exactly 'what they did' as opposed to what they said they did...then show them the damage they caused...if it cant be resolved in this manner..seek legal channels..its sad that this occurs so often with repair shops..if all that doesnt work by all means use the 'snuggle bears' to turn their shop to ash
Old 03-20-2005, 12:58 AM

Sue The Bastards!

I agree with nextse7en...except the part about sleeping with the daughter...too ugly.
Seriously...report them to the BBB, call the fraud division of the Vegas DA and SUE THE BASTARDS if they don't give you most of your money back AFTER fixing everything they screwed up! SHOW NO MERCY AND TAKE NO PRISONERS.
I hate these ripoff weasel mechanics! Sorry, that's insulting to weasels. I got ripped off with similar garbage work and lies and I reported them to BBB, the Bureau of Automotive Repair, the DA fraud division and we're goin' to small claims. If you don't go after this Ahole he'll just keep doing it. Go get 'em.
WGJ
Old 03-20-2005, 01:32 AM
Weasel 22

except the part about sleeping with the daughter...too ugly.
I hate these ripoff weasel mechanics! Sorry, that's insulting to weasels. ah damnit..I hate these folks who give 'weasels' a bad name..I have to continually work to bring goodness to the 'weasel name'..stupid ripoff mechanics.. I'll bloody their ankles!!
Old 03-20-2005, 06:57 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I'd go to work on the homes with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:48 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
I'd go to work on the homes with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.
i thought Mr Pockets was Teh Puni5hAr?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
i thought Mr Pockets was Teh Puni5hAr?
aww crap. I overstepped my boundaries again.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:48 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think it is impossible to fix the speedo gear through the axle shaft. There doesn't necessecarily have to be evidence of the trans being removed if it was. Does your speedo work now? If so there are 2 possibilitys, 1 they did in fact remove the trans and fix the speedo gear or 2 it wasn't the speedo gear but another sensor, electrical, mechanical repair related to speedo function. Also $1,000 dollars seems way to high for this repair, mine was $450. I'd ask to see the broken gear.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 03-20-2005, 12:16 PM

i had that same issue, they had to fiddle with the tranny, i would def go down there and smack some heads around...mechanics are like car doctors, they need to tell the "guardian" what they are doing if they are asked...did they flat out lie to you? if so i would make a stink.

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:04 PM

Weasel 22, you should be a professional comedian. Maybe you are... You keep me rolling!

Old 03-20-2005, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think it is impossible to fix the speedo gear through the axle shaft. There doesn't necessecarily have to be evidence of the trans being removed if it was. Does your speedo work now? If so there are 2 possibilitys, 1 they did in fact remove the trans and fix the speedo gear or 2 it wasn't the speedo gear but another sensor, electrical, mechanical repair related to speedo function. Also $1,000 dollars seems way to high for this repair, mine was $450. I'd ask to see the broken gear.
When your repair was $450, was it a Subaru dealership, and did they replace the gears? They gave me the gears, but what is scary of it all, is one of the mechanics own two SVX's. I don't know who he is, and never met him. The smaller of the two, the drive gear had some wear on it... Not much. The larger driven gear looked new.

Old 03-20-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
I agree with nextse7en...except the part about sleeping with the daughter...too ugly.
Seriously...report them to the BBB, call the fraud division of the Vegas DA and SUE THE BASTARDS if they don't give you most of your money back AFTER fixing everything they screwed up! SHOW NO MERCY AND TAKE NO PRISONERS.
I hate these ripoff weasel mechanics! Sorry, that's insulting to weasels. I got ripped off with similar garbage work and lies and I reported them to BBB, the Bureau of Automotive Repair, the DA fraud division and we're goin' to small claims. If you don't go after this Ahole he'll just keep doing it. Go get 'em.
WGJ
And this advice..... Excellent advice. I'm definitely thinking of this route. Maybe even that fraud section of the news. Put em' on TV.

Old 03-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
Weasel 22, you should be a professional comedian. Maybe you are... You keep me rolling!
I've done amateur stand up before..but im afraid of crowds
so I prefer to just be comic relief for the forum masses..more annoying than comical some may say...I carry on in my usual relentless fashion thanks for the comment!