How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Certified Porschephile

Here is my $ .02 First cutting the roof off a non-convertible will not pass a state inspection if your state has one, and probably no insurance company will write a policy on it. If you lie to the insurance company it's called fraud and is a felony just about everywhere. In PA you would need a remanufactured title to put a plate on it and would have to be safety inspected. As for removing the doors on a passenger car, it's illegal in PA and NJ. I'm sure in others but I know those two for sure. Jeeps get by because the doors are not load bearing structural support as designed by the manufactor. Your are WAY better off finding a POS convertible for cheap like a VW Rabbit or that Mercury thing from the late 80's, XR2 or something like that.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:17 AM

Here ya go: Linky

Old 03-04-2005, 04:49 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by Rotorflyr

Cool! A Volkswagon "Thing"! I haven't seen one of them in a long time. I'll have to check the link to see how much they want for it.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:52 AM

Man, that thing's rough (no pun intended). The body looks like just some surface rust more than rot. Might be nice for someone looking for a solid base for a good custom car.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:27 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Rotorflyr

actually we have some over here, one is white, excellent condition, and.... with a Porsche engine and tranny !!! really cool. I will see if the guy allows me to take some pics of it

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:44 AM

There are los of people that fully restore them but make them look like Nazi SS military cars.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:47 AM

I think this Baja version is pretty cool.

Johnny

Old 03-04-2005, 09:08 PM

I always wanted a VW Thing, there is just something about them that is cool!
Shame most are either rust-buckets like the one I posted, or restored and selling for 10k+
Old 03-05-2005, 07:45 AM
Superbeast

Cool BAJA version! I don't think the Thing was ever a Nazi military vehicle, that would be the Kubelwagon. Close but very different.

And if I had a link or pic I would have put it here.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 03-05-2005, 03:34 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
I saw an old (70's) Subaru wagon with the top cut off...
I saw a late 80's Subaru GL 3-door that someone had attempted to convert into a Brat. I saw it in a wrecking yard, and from a distance, it actually looked like a Brat. Up close it was a pretty crude hack-job.

What PA_SVX says probably has a lot of merit. Legally I'm not sure how the State Patrol could object, but I've little doubt that they would anyway. The way I see it, you pop the doors off and bang, you've got a custom car. People build custom cars all the time. Sure, removing the doors makes it weaker, but I'm not aware of any laws that specify how strong the car must be. Drilling a hole in the roof for a sunroof or even an antenna would also make the car weaker. If someone's going to draw the line somewhere, it's not up to the road police - it's gotta be written it the law. I think a judge would toss it out, but you'd probably be visiting the courtroom regularly to have new citations dismissed.

I met a fellow who built a street-legal car that very strongly resembled a Formula-One car. He tried to register it as a homebuilt car. The Washington State Patrol repeatedly rejected it for all sorts of crazy reasons. Finally he hired a lawyer. There was a bit of noise and smoke behind closed doors, but what do you know, the next time he attempted to register it, he was successful. He told me he doesn't drive it very often because every-other-time he drives it, he gets stopped by an officer who isn't familiar with the history behind the car's registration. Each time he gets stopped costs him a day in court to have it dismissed. It's too much hassle.

Earlier I had talked to someone at the state patrol about building such a car. He told me flat out, it could not be done; it wouldn't be legal. I objected and said that it must be possible because I had seen one driving around. (This was before I'd met the owner.) Suddenly the trooper's demeanor changed, he told me it was a fluke accident that it slipped by, and it'd never happen again. He wouldn't explain any further and became very short with me. I think that car has chapped a lot of hides. I've since asked two other troopers about the car, and they both seemed to have some bitter feelings toward it and it's owner.

The guy who owns the car is a bit of a hero to me for having persevered. It's a shame that he can't enjoy his car. He followed the law getting it built and registered, yet the people in charge of enforcing the law don't seem to want to obey it themselves. Our "protectors" can't resist harassing law-abiding citizens. ...and people wonder why there is so much animosity towards law officers.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:18 AM

Quote:
the Thing was never a Nazi military vehicle, that would be the Kubelwagon. Close but very different.
You mean like this?

Or this?

Jessie is right, they are similar but they aren't the same vehicle

Last edited by Rotorflyr; 03-06-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:42 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Cool BAJA version! I don't think the Thing was ever a Nazi military vehicle, that would be the Kubelwagon. Close but very different.

True. It was never a Nazi vehicle. I htink they only started production of the Thing in 1973 and ended in 1980. However, since it looks so much like the Kubelwagon, they paint them and accessorize them to look pretty much like them.

Johnny

Old 03-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Certified Porschephile

It IS against the law to drive on a roadway in PA with the doors removed from a passenger vehicle. Jeep is the only exception I know of. It can be found in Title 67. Don't have the subsection on me, but I can look it up.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:45 AM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Awesome! Then again, that looks like that is a dedicated off-road course, where insurance may not be required...

Anywho, I think my rationale about wanting a sedan or coupe is that overall I will get more for my money than I would with a car that started life as a convertible. The idea is to have a cheap project that epitomizes wrongness on many levels.

However, I do want to do this within the lines of the law. In Minnesota, one must have insurance on their car to drive legally, and I think this will be the biggest possible issue.

I'm wrapping up a week of much-deserved vacation right now, so I won't have a ton of time to play with this convertible idea for a while, but we'll see I guess...

2000 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS, converted to singlespeed 36:15.

I like my cars with too many gears and my bikes with too few...