Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-26-2001, 03:53 PM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
Angry Engine Saga.... next horrible chapter

I thought my problems were solved. A new fuel injector was all that was needed. I have waited somewhat impatiently for over a week for the dealer to get the part in. They got it today and put it in. Then they started the car and suddenly the engine started knocking. They let it run as they tried to figure out what was going on and then it locked up.

The oil had gas and stuff in it, so they changed it out and tried to start it up again, but no dice. It will go in reverse but won't go forward (I'm not talking the transmission...they were talking about the engine).

That's the latest, what a sinister twist in the plot. It seems that my car parting out reality is coming soon.

Jeff
Old 11-26-2001, 04:40 PM
Still a member

Send a message via ICQ to strange179 Send a message via AIM to strange179 Send a message via Yahoo to strange179
sounds like their problem

If the engine decided to go while they were testing it like you described, I would say that they should replace it. I mean, if they heard the knocking and just let it run like that then they are responsible. They should have shut it off and diagnosed it. Just my .02
Jay

Black '92 LSl 270Kmi 5MT (W00t! for 1/4 million on 4/27/07)
Laguna Blue '94 L about 130Kmi (I think) for parts, in storage
previous: Green '92 LSl 253Kmi 5MT (sold to ron post moose adventure, sold to someone else)
previous: Maroon '92 LSl 130Kmi +- (sold to Ron, mashed by moose, crushed)
Black '89 XT6 5spd AWD (storage)
Old 11-27-2001, 03:49 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Well, if the engine had too much oil in it my suspicion would be that the excess fuel dumped by the bad injector slipped past the rings and flooded the case. Even carbureted cars do that when the inlet valve needle hangs up. Actually changing the oil before starting the engine in a case like this is normal procedure. What, have they got someone from the wash rack working on your car?

Did they ever have the engine running beforehand? I believe you said you had the car towed in? If they heard it running (and not knocking) when you brought it in I'd be all over their butts, bud. I agree to let it continue running while knocking was absurd.

From what you're telling us it sounds like you're becoming a victim. Stand up for yourself, it's going to come down to your money or theirs. I'd start out by insisting a different mechanic do the diagnosis. Once they have made their diagnosis go there and have them show you their findings. Take a knowledgable friend, if possible - two heads are better than one.

Unless you know that the engine was making the noise before going to the dealer I'd be shooting for them to pay for the repairs beyond the injector. I'd also want a free loaner (it doesn't cost them a thing to loan you a trade-in, especially if you hint that you see something that you might consider trading the SVX in for...)

Beav
Old 11-27-2001, 06:41 AM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
Hey Beav... the car was sitting for over a week after they started it up the first time. Maybe the gas seeped into the oil during that week? I too cannot believe they did not change the oil before starting it up.

While I do think they've botched this up, proving it is difficult. What would running an engine with a mixture of oil and gas do to an engine??

Jeff
Old 11-27-2001, 07:36 AM
Not as old as Randy

It depends...how much oil, how much gas, how long it ran, how much load, etc. But, and it's a big but, if the engine isn't totally seized, it's hard to believe that contaminated oil is the culprit.

It sounds more like an interference problem. When they tried to turn the engine by hand they could have applied enough force to bend a rod if it was hydro-locked. It wouldn't be the first time someone has done that. It could also be that when they were starting it, the engine backfired and broke the starter nose and it's floating around in the bellhousing. That also wouldn't be a first.

The high oil level, combined with no signs of water, should have been their cue to check for a leaky injector in the first place. It's starting to sound as though you've got some votech graduates working on your car and they're just now getting their masters degree from hard knocks u.

If you can't get them to cough up the repair go for no less than half. That'll save you 50% and they don't lose anything but profit (probably.)

Beav
Old 11-27-2001, 07:51 AM
British Car Junky

Thanks again Beav. I'll be picking up my car today. I'm not going to make a scene today, but now I'm pretty enraged and will be writing a nice, long, certified letter to them making demands for them to pay for a new engine for my car because I firmly believe it is their incompetence and poor customer service that has gotten everything to this point. If they do not want to help me, I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau and possibly a lawyer.

Anyone have tips on writing a good letter of complaint, one that sounds really threatening and lawyer-like?

I hate to take this route, but with tact, I think I can win.

Jeff
Old 11-27-2001, 02:32 PM
Not as old as Randy

When you need teeth get a shark. Usually you can consult a lawyer for free. Find out what can be done and go from there.

Beav
Old 11-27-2001, 03:26 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
When you need teeth get a shark. Usually you can consult a lawyer for free. Find out what can be done and go from there.

Beav
Beav's right. Tact, hell. How much tact do you think they will use in trying to prove they did nothing wrong? Zero -- Zilch -- Goose egg. Get yourself a shark -- or, check with Larry and see who his Uncle Vito would recommend.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-28-2001, 01:08 PM
British Car Junky

Update

I just mailed a 6 page (with supporting documents) letter via certified mail to the Subaru dealer (note that I have not once mentioned their name, that could be used against me).

I am so angry and upset, but I laid out my case very plainly and truthfully in the letter. When reading it, it is crystal clear that they majorly screwed up. I mean, not changing the oil?? COME ON! Letting the engine knock? COME ON X's 2!!!

I have given them the option to either buy my car from me for the price I had it sold for ($5,000) or to fully fix my car by whatever means and provide me a loaner vehicle while they are doing work on my car.

I have never felt so humiliated in my life with the treatment I have gotten from these people whom I once respected and had faith in. I am now on "fight" mode and I will take it as far as it needs to go until I am satisfied. They will not get away with this.

Thanks again to Beav for more support and all the knowledge he's provided, he's the one the riled me up and I will buy him a beer if I ever meet him. It's amazing that someone from miles and miles away that's never even touched my car can fix it better than Subaru certified technicians!

jeff
Old 11-28-2001, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by EveryShadeofBlue
I just mailed a 6 page (with supporting documents) letter via certified mail to the Subaru dealer (note that I have not once mentioned their name, that could be used against me).

jeff
On one of the VW sites I spend time on there has been a long running saga about this very thing. A lawsuit by a VW dealer against one of their customers has just been dropped. The suit claimed defamation of character and slander and named the vehicle owner and the website owner as defendants due to his posts in the forums mentioning their dealership. The group members were about to start a fund raising campaign and letter writing campaign to the delaership and VWoA about the issue. Don't want to see that happen to you!
Old 11-30-2001, 12:01 PM

that knock was most likely detonation. (maybe not, I've been working on rx7's for too long)
Old 11-30-2001, 03:53 PM
Not as old as Randy

Hmmmm...usually blow apex seals before hearing detonation on rotary.
Old 11-30-2001, 04:40 PM
Geok

Have the checked out by a AAA diagnosis facitlity. They usually charge about $200 and you can get an address from calling the main AAA number in your area. This is a facility owned by AAA not an authorized repair shop. Take their diagnosis to a lawyer. AAA wont usually blame a specific shop for a problem but will specify a specific cause of a problem. The lawyer can take car of the rest. Even a votech student knows to thoroughly check out a motor before starting it for the first time after a tow in.
Good Luck.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:40 AM
calmone

i would send a copy of your 6 page letter, etc. to subaru as well, not just to the dealer.