Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-02-2001, 08:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Think this would really help out???

http://www.turbonator.com/index.html

I stumbled upon this site after seeing an ad in Sort Compact Car this seems like a very small turbo, but would it really help out that much??
Old 11-02-2001, 09:33 AM
oneothefewproud

Z,

Even for the Long Haulers out there. The gas savings alone even if you dont get that much more power out of it.

Wayne
Old 11-02-2001, 09:47 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Wayne, nice avatar.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-02-2001, 11:50 AM
oneothefewproud

Nice Avatar

Thanx Randy,

Wayne
Old 11-02-2001, 11:54 AM
Lowered SVX

seems a little hokey....

i just dont know if i would want to put something on my car called the turbonator? the website had no empirical data at all. i wouldnt waste my money if i were you.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-02-2001, 01:40 PM
Zombie

quick question: why would you want to put something in your intake pipe that impedes airflow and causes turbulance by design???
Old 11-02-2001, 02:15 PM
I look like Gordon

quick answer: so you can get the TURBONATOR sticker that comes in the box to put on the back of your car.

Old 11-02-2001, 02:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
hehe

Yeah I know it sounds kinda stupid, but I was just wondering if something like that would actually give an increase in ANYTHING! How would a self driven fan blade give any kind of performance gain?? I think it would restrict more than anything.. Now if it was powered by something like a turbo is, then you would have a performance gain!
Old 11-02-2001, 02:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Think this would really help out???

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeppelin
http://www.turbonator.com/index.html

I stumbled upon this site after seeing an ad in Sort Compact Car this seems like a very small turbo, but would it really help out that much??
My opinion is that it's horse pucky.

It's not a small turbo, as you say. It's an impediment, if anything.

Power gains? Give me a break. By being in the way of the air, I don't see how it could possibly increase it's velocity, and therefore volume over time.

Atomizes the fuel better? We drive fuel injected cars, and this thing is way before the fuel injector.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-02-2001, 02:41 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
There was a discussion about a similar product on the Yahoo site (search the "archive" for "vornado" or "tornado" or something like that). I believe some references to independent tests were cited that pretty much used Nick's scientific assessment: horse pucky.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-02-2001, 02:48 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
An engineer's point of view...

from an engineer's point of view...i would have to agree it's not worth it. While it would make a difference in both gas mileage and power...you wouldn't notice it. It doesn't make the air more turbulent...it would however pressurize it slightly...by spinning like that it would cause the air to move fast, in a cyclonic fashion. This would also cool the air slightly...but again these changes are so slight because it's being powered by the air its affecting. It wouldn't make a noticeable difference. Plus...the only time it would be real effective is when you let off the throttle after having the engine revving pretty good. Then if you stepped on it hard again...you MIGHT notice some more power cause then it would be pretty well spooled. All this is assuming that it's built well and spins very freely, which probably isn't the case either.
Old 11-02-2001, 03:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: An engineer's point of view...

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
from an engineer's point of view...i would have to agree it's not worth it. While it would make a difference in both gas mileage and power...you wouldn't notice it. It doesn't make the air more turbulent...it would however pressurize it slightly...by spinning like that it would cause the air to move fast, in a cyclonic fashion. This would also cool the air slightly...but again these changes are so slight because it's being powered by the air its affecting. It wouldn't make a noticeable difference. Plus...the only time it would be real effective is when you let off the throttle after having the engine revving pretty good. Then if you stepped on it hard again...you MIGHT notice some more power cause then it would be pretty well spooled. All this is assuming that it's built well and spins very freely, which probably isn't the case either.
Ah, but it doesn't spin at all. It has no moving parts. As I said, it just gets in the way of the air.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-02-2001, 03:21 PM

Oh, I thought that thing spun.. Now that I look more closely, it does look like it's just a bunch of stationary fan blades..
Old 11-02-2001, 05:41 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Well there are some REAL devices that are used inside of pipes that pass water that do create many voxtices and those device do improve the flow. There call TORTABS or something like that. There are tested in side a clear pipe before they are used to check on the proper placement.

This may help if the spin was the right way but I am not wanting to find out. It even says that it may cause your gas mileage may go up
Old 11-03-2001, 11:33 AM
Zombie

Horse pucky.... I havent heared that one for a while.