Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 03-19-2004, 04:00 AM
ex SVX owner - still keen tho

Cool Pearl 92 spotted

Hey chased down the above today in Forest Lake..it was a possie !! me in my son's black Taurus him my red SVX driving it like he was carrying eggs loose in the car...just how I like it..healthy respect...anyway the above car was spotted entering the centre

We surrounded her..older lady from Kenmore..they've had it since new..LOVES HER CAR .. "a great car not understood by the masses.." [warms my heart] just had its motor rebuilt after 200K kms on it [done by Subaru at Breakkie Creek ?..] new pearl paint as the car was caught in a severe hail storm at Ipswich, new a/c ..ditto with yours Ken..but also her temp control was going nuts..had that replaced as well

...best part her son was one of the first Master Techs for Subaru in Bris...

Exchanged emails, I spoke of the club ...they were interested.. be nice to hook them up to the Network...

Old 03-19-2004, 05:49 AM

92 Pearl

Good spot David, didn't you get your cars a bit backward, you in your son's, him in yours?

By any chance did the licence plate have the letters GMC. Wonder if the same one I spotted heading towards Ipswich.

I did spot one in traffic at Kenmore Hills a couple of weeks ago, was way ahead in traffic but looked to be cared for.

Kenn
Old 03-19-2004, 01:47 PM

Cool Yes that's the one

Old 03-19-2004, 05:53 PM
MisanthropyV

speaking of the temp control going nuts I soometimes have the same problem. It will increase or decrease the temp all by itself, and there seems like there's nothing you can do about it, but then the next day it's fine!? Go figure!?

Has anyone else had this problem?...and if so, how was the problem rectified? Auto electrician maybe? Please help. It seems to happen more when the environment is humid.

Paulie.

Also...do the 18" wheels with 235/40s rub on the plastic guard behind the rear panel on the rear wheels? My 17" 235/45 seem to sometimes, depending on the tyre brand...

Last edited by MisanthropyV; 03-19-2004 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:31 PM

no rubbing

on my green car i have 18x7.5 at 48 offset with 235/40s all round never a rub
on my red car i did a staggered sizing 18x8 with 35 offset front with 235/40 tyres any wider might rub but would be hanging out of the wheel arch is no go.
On the back 18x9 with 265/35 on 40 offset rim..see my other thread on rubbing now fixed...to go wider tyre you would need to go a higher offset 45/48 back closer to the original 55 offset..plus 245/40 on 18s would create a higher speedo error around 3.5% 235/40 for 18s from memory is only 1.8% ..

The only rubbing I've had has been on the outer side of the tire/inside lip of the wheel arch..and only on the back ...and unusually more on the drivers side than the passenger and not on the inside near suspension bits, either.

Oh and I'm not a fat .rse either at around 73-76kgs depending on eating a salad or Big Mac..but the wheel guys said that they quite regularly have cars where the track width is more to right or to the left..eg. rexs nissans holdens etc and most people wouldn't pick it up until you push the envelope for tyre width/size..everything else underneath is std and no accidents, no bent arms etc..we could see a visisble difference where the wheel sat under the wheel arch...anyway I hope that answers your question ??
Old 03-19-2004, 09:37 PM
MisanthropyV

It sure does. Thanks!

Also...how do you find out what the offset is of an aftermarket rim?? I'm not really sure what mine is at all...

Thanks again
Old 03-19-2004, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MisanthropyV
speaking of the temp control going nuts I soometimes have the same problem. It will increase or decrease the temp all by itself, and there seems like there's nothing you can do about it, but then the next day it's fine!? Go figure!?

Has anyone else had this problem?...and if so, how was the problem rectified? Auto electrician maybe? Please help. It seems to happen more when the environment is humid.

Paulie................

Paulie,

Yes had the dreaded temp bounce around all over the place. Humid days? I think so but we have had lots of these since last October. I originally noted that when the temp was set near to the outside temp that this would happen. Then it happened with a 10 Cel. difference. Oh well...

My next thought was that it was the outside temp button sticking. The bounce happened more when my wife was in the car and she has this thing about checking the outside temp every 10 minutes or so. So I thought that this might be the problem. Haven't had the chance to check this theory as the A/C is awaiting a re-gas and seals etc.

Perhaps if you don't check the outside temp for a week and see if the problem occurs then. If it does then my theory is out the window again.( (

Kenn:
Old 03-20-2004, 02:58 AM

Question Offset - how to find..

MisanthropyV

If you have them already ..most wheels have the size and ET [offset] stamped on the inside of the back of the wheel [ you'll have to search around under the dirt and brake dust]...most times on the back side of the wheel around where stud holes are ....SVXs own wheel from memory was also stamped on the inside on the rim..

D2Oz
Old 03-20-2004, 05:52 AM
MisanthropyV

thanks kenn and grnsvx96!
Old 03-20-2004, 03:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
The one and only time this happened on my SVX was the day that I was showing it to Jason when he was thinking of buying it - never happened since (oh: it is also happening on the ex-Newton silver SVX that is for sale at Millenium Cars here in Sydney)

Anyways, turns out this this phenomenon is pretty much inevitable and happens over time...ie, the 1991's got it first, then the 1992's (us!) etc etc - seems to be between 8 and 10 years.

Running the aircon diagnostic did not record any errors as far as I could ascertain - but they do need to be replaced (I spoke with a Subaru guy and he said that they did quite a few of them to date)

Guess it just depends how frequently it is occurring and bothering you before you have to replace it

Cheers

James

Quote:
Originally posted by KennEls

Paulie,

Yes had the dreaded temp bounce around all over the place. Humid days? I think so but we have had lots of these since last October. I originally noted that when the temp was set near to the outside temp that this would happen. Then it happened with a 10 Cel. difference. Oh well...

My next thought was that it was the outside temp button sticking. The bounce happened more when my wife was in the car and she has this thing about checking the outside temp every 10 minutes or so. So I thought that this might be the problem. Haven't had the chance to check this theory as the A/C is awaiting a re-gas and seals etc.

Perhaps if you don't check the outside temp for a week and see if the problem occurs then. If it does then my theory is out the window again.( (

Kenn:

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 03-20-2004, 05:00 PM
MisanthropyV

Thanks James. I'll have to look into replacing it. I guess I'll drop into the next subaru dealership I come across. EEECCCKKK!! Hope it's not too expensive!

Paul

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: