Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 02-03-2004, 07:36 AM
Phil & Belha

Re: Re: Moderate language

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monzta

As for the German re-bodied version, I think you're thinking of the 'Bitter'. This was actually a Senator chassis and was available with 3.0, 3.6 and 3.9 litre engines. There was also a convertible based on the Monza called the Keinath CK5.
Wasn't the Opel Monza also sold as a Vauxhall Royale Coupe?
Old 02-03-2004, 07:37 AM

Re: Bitter sweet memories

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
As for the German re-bodied version, I think you're thinking of the 'Bitter'. This was actually a Senator chassis and was available with 3.0, 3.6 and 3.9 litre engines. There was also a convertible based on the Monza called the Keinath CK5.

Thanks Monzta, yes it was the Bitter, not the Blitzen, close, but no seegar.

You mention the Senator chassis like there was a difference. I thought the Monza ran on a Senator chassis. Am I wrong? Is the Monza on a shorter platform?

Joe
Yes, the Monza is a little shorter than the Senator. The Bitter SC, although a coupe also has a boot so it was decided to use the Senator as its basis. The Bitter Owners Club had an exhaust company make up four stainless steel systems for member's cars. They told the company to use the Senator as a guide but they used the Monza thinking it was the same. The BOC refused to take the exhausts so I grabbed one on the cheap when I heard about it.

'96 Subaru SVX (111K) - UK spec
'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)
'93 Toyota Estima Lucida (37K) - JDM import

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 02-03-2004, 07:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Moderate language

Quote:
Originally posted by b3lha

Wasn't the Opel Monza also sold as a Vauxhall Royale Coupe?
Yeah, that's right. Though for some reason Vauxhall insisted that the Royale have a 2.8 carb engine with a tacky velour interior whereas Opel Monzas had a 3.0 fuel injected lump with a much nicer interior. In the end Vauxhall stopped the Royale and only sold the Monza.

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 02-03-2004, 07:56 AM
crow_road75

Re: Re: Re: Bitter sweet memories

Quote:
"Two pints of Blitzen and 'alf a Mild barman please"

These twin turbos. Do you happen to know if they are sequential, or one for each bank of cylinders?
Hi Joe,

All JDM Legacys GT's after MY93 (single turbo and similar layout to an Impreza) are twin-turbo (engine model code EJ20R). I'm not sure of the manufacturers (e.g. Garrett or IHI), but there is a small turbo that spools up from around 2,000 RPM then feeds boost into a second larger turbo around 3,750 RPM (from memory of the '97MY JDM GT-B I drove). The acceleration is phenomenal, even with the 'tip box... I so very nearly bought one, only servicing and insurance put me off... Though, after last years woeful experience with my UK spec SVX, I'm beginning to consider a Blitzen again.

Read 280BHP from the 2.0TT, add a nice Porsche Design body bit, handling kit, brakes and interior - then increase the output to around 320BHP. The though makes me dizzy...

Jason
--
Old 02-03-2004, 08:19 AM
crow_road75

Re: Re: Danger. Not so plodding plod.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monzta
I have no idea what camera he was talking about just that it was fitted somewhere on his car, either dash or grille mounted. I don’t even know what car he was using as I live in a village with no streetlights but it was a black estate and sat very low to the ground with a set of nice alloys. I had a funny feeling it was a BMW 328i Touring as the local constabulary use a few of those.
Monzta,

The system that was likely to be fitted to the unmarked trafpol car is called a "ProVida", and I believe it's laser based. The camera unit is mounted in the centre of the dash - about 2" high.

And I agree that you were very lucky. Did they appear from *nowhere* or were they hanging around a blackspot - somewhere like a country pub? Were there one or two officers in the car?

Jason
--
Old 02-03-2004, 09:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: Danger. Not so plodding plod.

Quote:
Originally posted by crow_road75

Monzta,

The system that was likely to be fitted to the unmarked trafpol car is called a "ProVida", and I believe it's laser based. The camera unit is mounted in the centre of the dash - about 2" high.

And I agree that you were very lucky. Did they appear from *nowhere* or were they hanging around a blackspot - somewhere like a country pub? Were there one or two officers in the car?

Jason
--
I'm pretty certain that they weren't hiding anywhere waiting to pounce. I'm pretty sure they were in the line of traffic behind me and as cars went off in different directions they ended up directly behind me as I took off. I have no idea how many officers there were one approached me but I couldn't see into the car......I was too busy pleading like a miserable wretch.

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

Old 02-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bitter sweet memories

Quote:

Hi Joe,

All JDM Legacys GT's after MY93 (single turbo and similar layout to an Impreza) are twin-turbo (engine model code EJ20R). I'm not sure of the manufacturers (e.g. Garrett or IHI), but there is a small turbo that spools up from around 2,000 RPM then feeds boost into a second larger turbo around 3,750 RPM (from memory of the '97MY JDM GT-B I drove). The acceleration is phenomenal, even with the 'tip box... I so very nearly bought one, only servicing and insurance put me off... Though, after last years woeful experience with my UK spec SVX, I'm beginning to consider a Blitzen again.

Read 280BHP from the 2.0TT, add a nice Porsche Design body bit, handling kit, brakes and interior - then increase the output to around 320BHP. The though makes me dizzy...

Jason
--
That's a sequential system. I like that.

Might get me one of those.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Danger. Not so plodding plod.

Quote:

Monzta,

Jason
--
Don't know a lot about this ProVida, but I doubt it's Laser, though you could be right.

Laser has a very narrow beam. If they are following a car that is overtaking and weaving around, the camera will keep losing the target, unless they are using a diffuser to broaden the beam, possible I suppose.

More likely it uses radar, and interacts with the car's onboard GPS. The speed of the chasing car would be referenced from GPS, and the computer would take the radar reading from the car in front and add or subtract speed depending on whether the chase car is gaining or losing. These figures are probably digitally added to the Video along with date and time and other data for prosecution.

You were lucky Monzta. I would say if they got even a hint of alcohol from you, they would throw the book at you.

All this means the Ultimate SVX would require another modification, front and rear Radar/Laser.

Stay within the hedges and ahead of the Law.

And drive carefully.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Time and Distance

This ProVida camera is a time and distance monitor. They switch on the camera and video just to record and verify what they have seen. The system logs on date details etc. The speed shown is the speed of the chase vehicle.

The camera has to be calibrated in the vehicle. No mention of GPS, its use may yet not be acceptable in law.

Don't know exactly the letter of the law, but the following car has to be close enough to identify you, and in order to clock an average speed that will stand up in court, they have to be on your tail for a minimum distance, could be as little as quarter of a mile, but I think more likely half a mile or a mile.

This is what he meant by not being able to "lock on" to you. Every time you disappeared around the bend from his view, not having covered the required distance, he has to reset the video. You probably stopped before he got the required distance logged on the video. I would drive real careful around his area for some time.

See the site

http://www.provida.dk/www/20Years.html

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-03-2004, 05:22 PM

Re: Time and Distance

Quote:
This ProVida camera is a time and distance monitor. They switch on the camera and video just to record and verify what they have seen. The system logs on date details etc. The speed shown is the speed of the chase vehicle.

The camera has to be calibrated in the vehicle. No mention of GPS, its use may yet not be acceptable in law.

Don't know exactly the letter of the law, but the following car has to be close enough to identify you, and in order to clock an average speed that will stand up in court, they have to be on your tail for a minimum distance, could be as little as quarter of a mile, but I think more likely half a mile or a mile.

This is what he meant by not being able to "lock on" to you. Every time you disappeared around the bend from his view, not having covered the required distance, he has to reset the video. You probably stopped before he got the required distance logged on the video. I would drive real careful around his area for some time.

See the site

Joe
Thanks for that, very interesting reading and makes me feel even more grateful for the luck I had last night. Drove home from work sickeningly legally this evening.

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

Old 02-04-2004, 01:47 AM
m.messenger

Re: Time and Distance

Quote:
This ProVida camera is a time and distance monitor.

See the site

Joe
The ProVida is what did me - see earlier bit about M1 - and the recorded distance for my average speed was 1.18 miles, so I would guess they have to do at least a mile.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:03 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Unhappy

Sorry to hear that Messenger.

Also highlights that rear Laser or Radar will not pick up these guys.

I thought about this for a long time when I had a Honda VFR750, which had a habit of running away with me.

You can't see behind very well on a bike, mrrors too small, vibration etc. My Best Defence idea was for a rear mounted camera like in the Nissan Primera. It would be pointed straight back, have 5 to 20 zoom and image stabilizer, and a 6 or 9 inch screen.

Your only hope against these things is to notice the camera perched high up on the screen and realize you are being tagged.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-04-2004, 05:45 AM
m.messenger

[QUOTE]Originally posted by svxistentialist
[B]Sorry to hear that Messenger.

Also highlights that rear Laser or Radar will not pick up these guys.

Well, as mentioned in my blah blah on page 3 about M1 incident, I'll never know, as my Bell 550 was switched off at the time, shame as its realy good on Gatsos, and tripod laser speed traps, and has picked up rear signals in the past- it is supposed to have a 1-3 mile laser detect range, but testing that is a tricky one. The verbal signal is good and keeps you on your toes. Motto:hard wire it then it wont bung up the lighter socket.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:06 AM

I have entered the "waypoints" for every "speed-camera-box-on-a-pole" (I don't know the term for this) on my route home, and then made a "route" in the GPS that tells me when I'm "approaching waypoint" (the camera), early enough to slow down.

This of course would not work on "mobile" systems, like cars or so.

/Sonny *breaking haaard when GPS say's*

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 02-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonar
I have entered the "waypoints" for every "speed-camera-box-on-a-pole" (I don't know the term for this) on my route home, and then made a "route" in the GPS that tells me when I'm "approaching waypoint" (the camera), early enough to slow down.

This of course would not work on "mobile" systems, like cars or so.

/Sonny *breaking haaard when GPS say's*
They are called Gatsos, after the inventor Gatsonides, a Belgian race driver of some note.

They are called a lot of other things too, particularly when they flash at your passing. Things even the moderator would not print here.

A lot of detectors use your system, referencing camera positions to GPS, and warning on approach. Some also have Radar detectors incorporated, or Laser, or both.

As Messenger says, better to have them hard wired. My own favourite would be the remote sensor at grill level, with just a light and buzzer in cabin. Would be even better with a Laser defeat output device, because laser is so narrow a beam, by the time you are aware a beam is on you, they've taken a reading and it's too late to react and slow down.

Wishful thinking, I'll just continue driving carefully.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: