Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 01-29-2004, 08:37 AM

So, none that you guys know about has gone faster that 150mph ?

If I post, say 151mph , then the "record" is mine ?

I honestly having a hard time to believe that ....
because I'll promise you that, I probably get 151mph with a slight overrev on the 3:rd (7000rpm?) .... !!

Could it depend on gas/air as someone suggested, or ... ?

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 01-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally posted by crow_road75
Wouldn't you need 'WR' rated tyres for that kind of speed?

AFAIK, no one makes 'WR' rated - 225/50/16 tyres, only 'Z' rated - up to 150 mph. I don't even think you can get P-Zeros for our standard wheels?
--
I thought "V" was rated for 150 and "W" for 180.

225/50-16 are available in both ratings.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/

Phil.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:02 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Interesting with the 230kpm 3-4 shift. Is that also with 3.7:1 gearing? Mine would shift 3-4 at 200kph with the shifter in 4th and would force the shift at 210kph if I left the shifter in 3rd.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:17 PM

What is the rpm when your SVX "force" shifts ?

Mine is at approx. 7000rpm.

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 01-29-2004, 03:32 PM

Because of my confusion regarding the readout as stated before, the 230km/h was speedo readout, and if you calculate you can see that it is approx 3% to high compared to the GPS, that means a "true" speed of 223km/h.

But, I will test that tomorrow when I'm going home.
Probably the best way to check it is to "lock" the 3:rd and floor it, and see when 4:th comes in.

One thing is worrying, theese speeds seems to kill winter tires in that way that the cord brakes...

So, maybe I reconsider ....

Old 01-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Not sure the exact RPM but definately somewhere between 6500 and 7000
Old 01-30-2004, 01:34 AM
m.messenger

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonar
Because of my confusion regarding the readout as stated before, the 230km/h was speedo readout, and if you calculate you can see that it is approx 3% to high compared to the GPS, that means a "true" speed of 223km/h.

But, I will test that tomorrow when I'm going home.
Probably the best way to check it is to "lock" the 3:rd and floor it, and see when 4:th comes in.

One thing is worrying, theese speeds seems to kill winter tires in that way that the cord brakes...

So, maybe I reconsider ....
more things for those poor elks to worry about - if the subsonic car doesn't get them, there's always chunks of rubber shrapnel whizzing into the woods.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:03 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Lightbulb

Sonar is a little bit watery a name for a true Road Warrior.

I think we will rename him Sonic Boom, or maybe Sonic the Hedgehog Killer.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-30-2004, 02:23 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Manual manipulation

Way back in the thread I mentioned that MANU does not work in D, [4] range, and that if so, the POWER shiftmap might function in D while MANU was lit. Did some testing, and perhaps a few of you could verify if your version acts the same.

It does not allow POWER in D. In fact, it acts quite a bit like I would expect ECON to work. Because MANU is switched on, the POWER map is not accessible as they are mutually exclusive in the TCU software.

What it does do is rather interesting. As mentioned, it ignores or locks out 1. Select 1, it will start in 2 and stay there. Select 2, it will start in 2, and stay there [other than over-rev failsafe] Select 3, it starts briefly in 2, shifts up to 3 and stays there. This is the interesting bit. Hard acceleration in 3 only produces lots of use of the torque convertor in 3 range, it will not give you kickdown to 2.

It gets more interesting. With MANU on and D selected, it starts in 2 as before, shifts up quickly and smoothly to 3, and then again quickly and smoothly up to 4 provided the ATF temperature is high enough. But it functions in 4 more like the ECON or NORMAL mode. For passing, it will give you kickdown to 3 if booted hard enough. 2 is not accessible [unless you shift the lever, obviously]

I am going to try it in this mode for a few weeks, see if the economy improves significantly. I normally use POWER, but the changes are more jerky, and the box a bit more manic if you lift power off approaching a bend. It drives serenely smoothly in MANU, so economy must improve.

Can anyone confirm the above, particularly the kickdown availability?

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-30-2004, 02:32 AM
m.messenger

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Sonar is a little bit watery a name for a true Road Warrior.

I think we will rename him Sonic Boom, or maybe Sonic the Hedgehog Killer.

Currently SUPERSONIC seems to fit the bill , or 'The Nightmare on Elk Street'
Old 01-30-2004, 05:20 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

SuperSonic then.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-30-2004, 03:08 PM

Re: Manual manipulation

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Way back in the thread I mentioned that MANU does not work in D, [4] range, and that if so, the POWER shiftmap might function in D while MANU was lit. Did some testing, and perhaps a few of you could verify if your version acts the same.

It does not allow POWER in D. In fact, it acts quite a bit like I would expect ECON to work. Because MANU is switched on, the POWER map is not accessible as they are mutually exclusive in the TCU software.

What it does do is rather interesting. As mentioned, it ignores or locks out 1. Select 1, it will start in 2 and stay there. Select 2, it will start in 2, and stay there [other than over-rev failsafe] Select 3, it starts briefly in 2, shifts up to 3 and stays there. This is the interesting bit. Hard acceleration in 3 only produces lots of use of the torque convertor in 3 range, it will not give you kickdown to 2.

It gets more interesting. With MANU on and D selected, it starts in 2 as before, shifts up quickly and smoothly to 3, and then again quickly and smoothly up to 4 provided the ATF temperature is high enough. But it functions in 4 more like the ECON or NORMAL mode. For passing, it will give you kickdown to 3 if booted hard enough. 2 is not accessible [unless you shift the lever, obviously]

I am going to try it in this mode for a few weeks, see if the economy improves significantly. I normally use POWER, but the changes are more jerky, and the box a bit more manic if you lift power off approaching a bend. It drives serenely smoothly in MANU, so economy must improve.

Can anyone confirm the above, particularly the kickdown availability?

Joe
Thanx for my cool nickname

But.....on my 400km way home this afternoon I checked the behaviour of the mysterios "Manual" button, and tried the "Econ" + "Manual" mode as described by you.

I DO HAVE kickdown in both "D" AND "3" !!
If I drive in "D" it kicks to 3:rd when I really floor it, and if I drive on "3" and floor it, it kicks to 2:nd !! , but I am not sure if you had BOTH "Manual" AND "Econ" engaged, or just "Maunal" , please clearify that.

PS. Have anyone figured out my "callsign" yet ?

/Sonny

Old 01-30-2004, 03:31 PM

Joe, I was wondering on my way home.....could this theory be true:
When I had the highest topspeed reading, was when my friend was slipstreaming me with his Porsche 911, in two or three other occasions the readind was approx. 10km/h lower, could it be so that BOTH cars have benefit of such a slipstreming?

My theory is based on that fact that a car has two air-related things to deal with, one is in the "front" , wedging the air with the sum of frontarea*cw , and the other is the "vacuum" cone and turbulence BEHIND the car..... Suppose now that someone "takes ower" that rear force from you (the car behind) , the result is that instead of 2 cars with 4 forces to deal with its 2 cars with only two forces......it would result in a higher speed for BOTH cars..!

I'm I totally lost in space...or...???

/Sonny

Old 01-30-2004, 03:36 PM

Damn...I now re-read your post and understand that you only had "Manual" selected.....I had both "Manual" AND "Econ" ...

I have problem with this English foreign language

Ok, I'll try again tomorrow

BTW, I checked my rpm / speed readings, 140km/h is exactly 3000rpm

Last edited by Sonar; 01-30-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Meow!

Makes sense to me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: