Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Gig

Do you like the looks of Subaru cars besides the SVX?

I'm curious about people's impressions of the other Subaru models like the Forester and the Impreza. Do you like Subaru's styling of their product line?

The reason I ask is that I was at Subaru of Orlando to see if they had an SVX and wow! I thought the current line of Subaru cars was absolutely hideous! I almost couldn't believe that this was the same company that created a work of art like the SVX!

I know that there's more than styling to consider when you buy a car. Subaru of Orlando told me that Subies are very reliable and offer great performance. Those are very valid reasons for buying a car but I'm talking strictly about looks.

I know that tastes vary and I'm sure that the Impreza has it's fans... that's great! I'm not trying to criticize anyone's tastes... I'm just really curious about the overall feeling about Subaru styling. To my eye, compared to the rest of what Subaru makes, the SVX must have been a one time lightning strike.

What are your thoughts?
Old 01-14-2004, 08:03 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

OMG... The 1999 Ausi model Version 6 STi ( Dad's old one ) Just gives me a boner!!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...

Last edited by GreenMarine; 01-14-2004 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I like the Legacy GT Sedan. The old 2.5 RS's are cute, but too small for me. The new STi's would be nice with a different wing and less hood scoop. I dont like the Foresters at all. To me it looks like the design department got confused about wether they were making an SUV or a station wagon.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:28 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
In a word: No. I find the XT & 6 intriguing and wouldn't mind owning one for the "Odd" factor (same with the Brat), but, as a rule, I'd say there's nothing in the Subaru line that comes near the beauty of the SVX in terms of styling. Just my opinion.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-14-2004, 08:41 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg
I dont like the Foresters at all. To me it looks like the design department got confused about wether they were making an SUV or a station wagon.
Didn't ya know....???? They wern't making either of those... They were making a Camaro killing 5 passenger carring........Thing...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-14-2004, 09:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I liked the second-generation Legacy and first-generation Impreza. The third-gen Legacy and second-gen Impreza took some time for me to warm up to, mostly because I really liked the narrow headlights of the previous versions. They highlighted the Boxer's low CG. I've always kinda dug the Forester.

Even tough it appeals to me, Subaru's styling has never sold their cars and they're finally learning that. I think the B11s was probably their biggest hit at an auto show in a long time. 'Hit' being a relative term for them.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-14-2004, 09:32 AM
Certified Porschephile

I've owned a few Legacys and 1 Impreza (96) and we currently own a 2000 Forester. Overall I'd say they have gotten ALOT better compared to where they used to be (GL, DL, etc...). My wife LOVES her Forester. The SVX was my favorite. I'd like to own a Legacy R in 4-5 years. Subaru was supposed to have a larger SUV sometime soon. Just my random thoughts on the various models. Oh, I also LOVE the STi.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:40 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
Oh, I also LOVE the STi.
I have to agree with you there. One of my coworkers has one, and my wife was with me when I parked next to it once. I said, 'ooh, you're a naughty little car...the things I'd do to you...'

The look on my wife's face was precious.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 01-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
In a word: No. I find the XT & 6 intriguing and wouldn't mind owning one for the "Odd" factor (same with the Brat), but, as a rule, I'd say there's nothing in the Subaru line that comes near the beauty of the SVX in terms of styling. Just my opinion.
I agree completely. I don't need a four door rocket and I think the WRX looks like a Neon with a lot of plastic taped on it.

The other Subaru models are average at best.

I know a lot of people talk about the styling similarities between older Subaru models and the SVX, but I feel the ItalDesign influence makes all the similarities seem like apples and oranges. Yeah they are both fruit, but that's where the similarities end.

I think there was talk back on the Yahoo board already about Randy and I being "SVX Snobs"

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 01-14-2004, 10:11 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
I think there was talk back on the Yahoo board already about Randy and I being "SVX Snobs"

Doug
No...I think it was 'SVX knobs.'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 01-14-2004, 10:14 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
I don't think I've ever made a secret of the fact that I am not a SUBARU fan. I am an SVX fan. The fact that it's a Subaru is totally inconsequential to me. I don't mind being called an SVX "Snob."

I think I run into this every year at the Reading meet, when all the WRXes and Imprezas and XT's, etc, want to join in the action. I just feel that there is plenty of NASIOC action or other "All Subaru" events to go around, but, I'd like to see the Reading meet remain, now and forever, the one single "Pure SVX" gathering. Sure, drive something else, but, don't put it in the drive or, in the group photo. Frankly, if it becomes anything less than a true SVX tribute, I won't be there.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-14-2004, 10:23 AM
Gig

Yes, after my field trip, I think I'd have to count myself among the SVX snobs too. I truly saw absolutely nothing with the Subaru name on it that I would even consider buying... too many other cars are too much prettier.

I don't know what the STi is... I guess I didn't see that one. I saw an Impreza, though, which the salesman made a fuss over. I didn't like it very much... I thought it kind of looked like a troll car or something. I didn't like the thingy on the hood, although I never like those on any kind of car. I think the Impreza is the one that looks like a Neon, because it put my mind to that as well... except I think that Neons are cuter.

Last edited by Gig; 01-14-2004 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:32 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Gig
I didn't like the thingy on the hood, although I never like those on any kind of car.
That's the hood scoop for the intercooler.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 01-14-2004, 10:33 AM

Registered SVX
Subaru makes other cars besides the SVX?!!!!

(Remember, I'm from Beaver County, PA, where you can't buy a Subaru.)

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 01-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Ditto. I might consider owning a 2.5 RS, new WRX, or forester, but none of them have the 'wow factor' the SVX has. I get happy just walking towards my SVX in a parking lot and think to myself "WOW! That's MY car, the cool looking one!"

- Rob

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: