130-140 16 50.00%
140-150 3 9.38%
150-160 2 6.25%
160+ 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2001, 03:02 PM
sk8ing19

Question Top Speeds

Okay so I was going over some of the stats on some different web pages a while back, and saw one on top speeds. On one of the pages (sorry can not remember which on) it stated that the 94' LS was only able to reach into the 130's stock. However I have been much faster then that in on a slight up hill, when it was still stock.

See one night driving back to Colorado, I was jamming out to the radio more then paying attention to my speed like I should have been. I passed a sign saying some thing about the next exit being 1 mile away, well that mile shoot by so fast I looked down to see how fast I was really going (I thought maybe 100-110) no it was reading out 149 and climbing. I was at first amazed at how stable the car was. It felt as stable as it does at 45. Well by the time I looked down and let my foot of the gas the final reading was 151. The thing that got me was that I was on a slight up hill and my RPMs were around the 5000 mark. Now I do not have a death wish, nor do I want to kill my beloved car or anyone else that is on the Highway at 3am. I will more then likely never hit those speeds again, its just I cant belive how stable she felt at 151, what a car.

Anyway it got me kind of thinking what kind of top speeds have other SVX's reached, and how did the they feel at those speeds? Well talk to you all later.

Chris,
Old 08-13-2001, 12:06 AM
carpedick

Re: Top Speeds

I'd be surprised if you reached much higher. My understanding was that all 94s and newer had governors on it. I've had my 92 up to 145 in the desert in Arizona. Maybe you were reading the Kilometers side. =)

Quote:
Originally posted by sk8ing19
Okay so I was going over some of the stats on some different web pages a while back, and saw one on top speeds. On one of the pages (sorry can not remember which on) it stated that the 94' LS was only able to reach into the 130's stock. However I have been much faster then that in on a slight up hill, when it was still stock.
Old 08-13-2001, 02:10 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
be warned

I have on more than one occasion actually pegged the speedometer. But, I could only seem to do so with no one else in the car. I think its weight related. My roomate did not belive me, so I took him for a run. I ran our of horsepower at 155 (roughly... not going to stare at the speedometer at those speeds!) I did however have plenty of RPMs to go. I think I read somewhere that if we had the horseposer to match the final drive of our steep gear ratios, the top speed would be like 190 something before we bounced off the rev limiter. Now, I am not going to go into the warnings of how stupid it was for me to be doing such things, but I took many precautions, AND I was interested in how stable the car would be for entering the Silver State Challenge road race. Iwill give you this warning though. It was not long after I did these high speed runs before my tranny lost a bearing in the rear drive portion. This trany had also just been put into the car about 5 thousand miles before I did this. There are two posiblilities here. One, I have a bad build in the new tranny that was just put in. Or two, the high speed runs killed the tranny. Fortunately, it was under warranty (hell NO I didnt tell them about my adventures) and they relplaced it only after it was in the car for 5 months. I have been up to 145 several times with two passengers with me and the car had no problems gettig up to speed and fortunatly showed no problems with the tranny afterwards. In closing, the car is indeed VERY stable at high speeds and I still hope to one day compete in the SSC. Oh, and if that wasnt enough stupidity for you, try outdriving your headlights at 3am on a road you "thought" you knew well enough to make a high speed pass on and end up doing a 140 MPH airborn jump due to a cattle guard (that I thought was MUCH futher down the road) with two passengers! Yes, they still will ride with me, but one insisted on a license plate frame that said, "Im not drivng fast, I am flying low." The other one said I should paint the car orange with a confederate flag on top and learn to slide across the hood and yell "yeeeeehaw." The only down side that happened from this dumb and stupid error was a uniqie lost leather drivers seat for about thirty minutes, and having to slap the blood back into the faces of my passengers. We watched the stars on the side of the road for about 30 minutes, thanked god, and misteriously my seat was no-longer sucked up my a$$, and we went home. And for the record, I dont care if you belive me or not, because I am NOT going to do it again for any of ya! But I can give you email addresses of two people that if you ask them, "what was the stupidest and scariest act that you have even been involentarily exposed to?" I am sure you will get a story much like above, but with some more colorful remarks about the person who exposed them to this act.

Those are my high speed time trials. I promise that if I ever plan to do one again (like when I got spare money for a race build level 10 tranny) I will put a camcorder on the rear deck facing forwards.

Chris
Stoopid (SVX Admin)

PS -- Can you belive I am going into law enforcement?
You dont know how bad I will want to put lights on MY car and call it the high speed pursuit car. Will outperform the tuna trollers they use here by a LONG shot!
Old 08-13-2001, 05:26 AM
Jedi Member

Okay, my fastest top speed was 150, and I was scared ****less while I was doing it. I had a passenger (or 3) in the car and am never going to do something that stupid again. Everyone else thought the ride was smooth as silk but I could swear that the car was balancing on a needle and the steering wheel was the only thing keeping it up. I was almost embarassed when, @125 my RPM's were maxing out but then I nearly downloaded in my pants when the tranny shifted to overdrive. And I know exactly what Chris is talking about when he says
Quote:
I did however have plenty of RPMs to go.
:-) I think I was at about 4.2k when the uphill portion of the road came and the speedo would go no further.
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 08-13-2001, 06:55 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Shortly after I got the car I got up to about 135-136 and had a hard time climbing after that. Plus I was running out of straight highway so I decided to slow down. Good thing too, cuz I got pulled over a few miles later he clocked me @ 72mph.

I kinda mumbled under my breath "too bad you weren't sitting about 15miles back. cuz then you coulda taken someone to jail!!!" I don't try to push the limit anymore
Old 08-13-2001, 08:30 AM
still in love with Hannah

I had mine up to 135 on a couple of occasions, never got it higher than that though. Was very stable.
1996 Legacy Outback-"Gilda" white with brown trim
Old 08-13-2001, 09:36 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I was between 130 and 135, when it finally hit me that I was riding on "T" Rated tires. I still have a crease in my leather where my cheeks pinched it when I finally realized. But, she had plenty of legs left at that point. Probably won't try to see what she'll do beyond that, even though I am now running "V" rated tires.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-13-2001, 09:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
It was an early Sunday morning in Oct. on the interstate bypass (I-495) when the car was alot newer. I took it up to 137 mph as indicated by the speedo. I then coasted for a long while but applied the brakes at 100+ mph. Thats probably how the rotors got warpped. Had them reground later.

Larry III
Old 08-13-2001, 10:15 AM
Habesha

Don't you just hate

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
It was an early Sunday morning in Oct. on the interstate bypass (I-495) when the car was alot newer. I took it up to 137 mph as indicated by the speedo. I then coasted for a long while but applied the brakes at 100+ mph. Thats probably how the rotors got warpped. Had them reground later.

Larry III
Those DE police?
Old 08-13-2001, 06:21 PM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I was between 130 and 135, when it finally hit me that I was riding on "T" Rated tires. I still have a crease in my leather where my cheeks pinched it when I finally realized. But, she had plenty of legs left at that point. Probably won't try to see what she'll do beyond that, even though I am now running "V" rated tires.
I had Dunlop "Z" rated for my high speed runs and Pirelli Supersport 7000 "Z" rated for my airborn training!
Will use nothing but "Z" in case I get stupid at a moments notice

Chris
Old 08-13-2001, 06:46 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris

I had Dunlop "Z" rated for my high speed runs and Pirelli Supersport 7000 "Z" rated for my airborn training!
Will use nothing but "Z" in case I get stupid at a moments notice

Chris
Good idea chris...

I drove from Normal IL to chicago today. about 150 miles. I am surprised that I made it back in about an hour and half. Damn. and somewhere in there I passed 3 state troopers..
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-14-2001, 10:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Speed Limited

Hmm? Can we trust those little speedos? I understood that all post '92 SVX's where electronically limited to 136mph. Maybe I should take my trusty GPS along for a speed run someday.

I've had mine up near there but really didn't want to spend much time looking DOWN. Through I had plenty of room ahead of me, cars travalling at 70-80 sure do come up fast when your nearly double that.

The car is wonderful to drive FAST and I love it, but over 120 seems a bit extreme. I realize that is an arbitrary number but it seems the car (or I) get a little 'skittish' up there.

I DO love that shift to 4th at 100+ !! What a kick!
Old 08-14-2001, 10:57 AM
KEVINL

Did you know the SVX with stock gear ratio will do 195 MPH at 6700RPM but it would take a lot of power and guts to do it
Old 08-14-2001, 12:16 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
SVX Top Speed Reached

I honestly have no idea....

.....I was so startled when the F-16 pulled alongside, I forgot to look at the speedometer! Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 08-14-2001, 12:43 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Speed Limited

Quote:
Originally posted by jscorse
Hmm? Can we trust those little speedos? I understood that all post '92 SVX's where electronically limited to 136mph. Maybe I should take my trusty GPS along for a speed run someday.

I've had mine up near there but really didn't want to spend much time looking DOWN. Through I had plenty of room ahead of me, cars travalling at 70-80 sure do come up fast when your nearly double that.

The car is wonderful to drive FAST and I love it, but over 120 seems a bit extreme. I realize that is an arbitrary number but it seems the car (or I) get a little 'skittish' up there.

I DO love that shift to 4th at 100+ !! What a kick!
Correction. '92's were NOT limited. The limiters, I think, didn't go into effect until the 94-97 MY's (I'll have to check and make sure), but, no, the 92's for sure weren't limited. My mom asked me why anyone would want a speedometer that reads 160 -- I told her "so's they won't break the needle at 150."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI