How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-27-2002, 01:46 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Subaru and GM news

Two articles on Subaru in Crain's Automotive News this week.

1st one has GM stating that all plans for a joint Subaru/GM midsized wagon are on hold. Bob Lutz is quoted as saying that "Subaru sees a lot of its brand equity in the horizontally opposed engine"... "So they are undertandably reluctant to engage in programs that result in them having to give up something that they believe to be a core brand value" He went on to say "it would be difficult to market a Fugi-engineered product and "call it something else without everybody immediately saying 'that's nothing but a rebodied Subaru'" I'm sure we'll find a solution, because neither Fuji Heavy nor we want to be just financially linked without getting something great out of it.

Subaru is going ahead with plans independently to develop a mid-sized 7 pass. wagon/ MPV.

2nd one is about the plant layoffs at Fuji saying that 210 were laid off but SIA did a great job shifting workers to avoid laying off the provected 500.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
It would seem that they got into an exhcnage, then decided after the fact, 'uh...hm...maybe this wasn't such a great idea...'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-27-2002, 01:59 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I really hope so. The thing I don't understand is with GM rebadging all these Corollas, Swifts, Sidkicks/Vitaras, and now the Matrix why wouldn't they want a nice horizontally opposed engined midsized sedan/wagon as something for all the buyers of these cars to move up to? If I walked into a showroom with no knowledge and bought a Geo Prizm and suppose I liked that car, 5 years later when I was ready to upgrade I'd be at the Toyota dealer buying a Camry not at a Chevy dealer buying a Malibu because the Malibu just didn't "feel" the same.
Old 08-27-2002, 02:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Subaru doesn't have the reputation that Toyota does. And besides, with the Prizm and Metro, those are lower-end cars and the actual manufacturers' reputations don't count for as much.

Like it or not, a great deal of the US still believes that Japanese cars are poor-quality death-traps. A coworker recently tried to tell me that the only way Japanese cars get these five-star safety ratings is by using lighter dummies.

Lighter dummies. In independent crash tests.

'People believe weird things.' - Michael Shermer.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-27-2002, 07:20 PM
"high" in Colorado

Suby and GM...

During the Q&A session at the SIA plant, I asked the question what was Gm's investment and interest in Subaru.

Mr Nagano replied that GM had a 22 to 25% stake, and that their main interest was in Subarus' AWD system...."The best in the business". Mr. Nagano was evasive as to any joint projects between the two companies....
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 08-28-2002, 07:54 AM
Hater

i hope they don't "collaborate." a Subaru with a cheap GM interior that rattles itself loose after a few years. jeez.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-29-2002, 01:41 PM
Vern!

I keep reading that GM was looking forward to using the AWD developed by Subaru. Did anyone think to tell the beancounters at GM that the AWD is pretty much inseperable from N/S mounted engine? The only way to make a Grand Am AWD using the Subaru system is to rotate the engine 90 degrees.

Methinks the techies were not asked, and the beancounters were asked too much.