Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2002, 07:55 PM
Henry

DRW Transmissions in Santee (near San Diego) CA

I mentioned Don Wang before on the yahoo system, but his recent performance certainly justifies additional comments.

Due to money owed me, a trans shop rebuilt my '93 at virtually no charge. It's 15,000 miles later, I was concerned about a few things, that shop has gone out of business, so I took the car to Don.

I showed him the list of replaced parts. He drove the car for 20 minutes, inspected everything, and his verdict was this: do nothing. He's certain that it's slow to shift into reverse because the previous rebuilder overlooked a leak at a critical internal point. Don then took the time to train me how to use reverse to avoid trans failure - and thinks that if I do as he suggests I can get a lot more mileage out of the existing unit before I'll need another rebuild.

Don has done perhaps five transmissions for me and my family over the last decade, including one for my turbo Buick that occasionally dipped into the 12s on street tires. Several times I - and friends - have taken cars to Don and been told "Do nothing..." He is a super resource, and has wonderful integrity.

Don wants cars to come to his shop so he can take full responsibility for the whole thing from diagnosis to final check. In other words, his market is local S. Calif and not beyond.

However, he and his people get many, many calls from SVX drivers around the country asking for advice - or from rebuilders looking for help. Please don't support or do that... it's just not fair.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:04 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: DRW Transmissions in Santee (near San Diego) CA

Quote:
Originally posted by Henry
Don then took the time to train me how to use reverse to avoid trans failure - and thinks that if I do as he suggests I can get a lot more mileage out of the existing unit before I'll need another rebuild.

However, he and his people get many, many calls from SVX drivers around the country asking for advice - or from rebuilders looking for help. Please don't support or do that... it's just not fair.
Any chance you will elaborate on the recommended use of reverse? I promise not to call Don and tell him about it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:06 PM
Got Dirt?

Yes, please share. My car takes a while longer than I'd like to shift into reverse. Everything else seems fine though.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:56 PM
Henry

Sure, but again IT'S NOT FAIR TO BUG THE FOLKS AT DRW!!!

Here's his message, condensed.

1. If there's a delay before the car begins moving in reverse -- stay off the throttle until the system is FULLY engaged. In my car it's five seconds cold, two seconds warm.

2. Be gentle on the throttle in reverse.

3. Never back up steep driveways, etc.